McKinnon 327?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McKinnon 327?

The 327 chevy that is destined for my 59 lark is a large journal 1969 327 from a camaro. I have had this engine for several years and before that my buddy Ray pulled it from a derelict camaro. It has something I have never seen on all the small block chevys I have messed with over the years . On the drivers side bell housing mounting flange , it has a square with a capitol M cast in it… Could this be a Canadian sbc? Would be kind of ironic that Im building a hot rod Stude with a Canadian engine. The numbers on the front of the block were milled off many years ago when it was decked.

Probably says something like hecho e Mexico on the block. I believe mexico casting.

Comment

Nope no hecho en Mexico

Comment

Does anyone have a way of Identifying a canadian block? Just curious not like its a #s matching deal. I have never come across a mexican block of this vintage 1969. It does not say hecho en mexico. It has some extensive machine work in the lifter valley area that is not present on all my other small blocks, and I have seen a butt load of them , but never with the particular casting symbol I mentioned in my earlier post

Comment

It might be a stern-drive block from "Mercury-Marine!" I seem to remember seeing a warehouse full of Chev engines at the Merc. factory when I was a security guard there in the '70's. All the crates were marked "Mexico". Was told that they were "special" because boat motors run at a constant rpm rather than up-and down like a car. i remember Mercs where painted black! Just a thought.- Jim

Comment

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Lumpy, Post a picture, that will help a ton. Bob
              Last edited by sweetolbob; 06-11-2017, 05:26 AM.

Comment

casting # is 386 1969 camaro 327 . Ill post pics of the unusual casting mark when I get to work tomorrow. From the research Ive done Mckinnon did build 327s in 69 and Im pretty sure Canada produced a good # of camaros.

Comment

For what it's worth, I have a Mercury Marine 454, and the ID pad is blank; It does have a riveted I.D. tag on the bellhousing flange near the starter. Cast in 1990. Block is painted black.

Comment

Originally posted by lumpy View Post
                    casting # is 386 1969 camaro 327 . Ill post pics of the unusual casting mark when I get to work tomorrow. From the research Ive done Mckinnon did build 327s in 69 and Im pretty sure Canada produced a good # of camaros.
                    Canada did indeed produce many Camaros, but none in 1969. All were made either in Norwood, OH or Van Nuys, CA.

You can read about the "M" coded 1969 model year blocks here: http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#BlockCast

Comment

You can read about the "M" coded 1969 model year blocks here: http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#BlockCast
                      Good find Lynn, Interesting. Happened just down the road about 12 miles. Bob

Comment

Casting symbol

This is the casting symbol on the back of the block. I have probably dealt with hundreds of SBC's over the years and have never seen this symbol.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That explains it, no wonder I hadn't seen one before, Thanks guys!

Comment

did thay ever a 327 MC Kinnon engine & put it in the 65 66 lark ?? i thought i seen a brosher back in the day thay offered the 283,& the 327 ? any one know ?

Comment

No 327's, just 283, 2 barrel.
                              Originally posted by dannyo View Post
                              did thay ever a 327 MC Kinnon engine & put it in the 65 66 lark ?? i thought i seen a brosher back in the day thay offered the 283,& the 327 ? any one know ?
                              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                              1950 Champion Convertible
                              1950 Champion 4Dr
                              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                              X