Exhaust Muffler GoTo place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Muffler GoTo place

Can someone please tell me which vender is the GoTo guy for mufflers for my '63 Avanti? Just need the stock type mufflers, all else is good.

Thanks in advance!
    Corley

I've been using Silvertone mufflers on a 56J and '55 Speedster. Also purchased them for my '63 Avanti, but not yet installed. The sound quality is great on the 56J (Packard V8), perhaps borderline harsh on the Speedster. No unpleasant resonance in either. They are a stainless straight-through design. Not sure if he still offers a choice in loudness. Made and ship from Canada. By "stock type," does your Avanti have the original glass-pack style or optional "quiet" system? My impression from decades back was that the standard glass packs could be annoyingly loud. I had modern Magnaflow mufflers installed on one car with 289 V8, not a great match.

Silvertone is a reputable Stude-specific vendor.
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

Comment

If you are an SDC Member you already know of these Turning Wheels Advertised sources:

StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If "stock" means a Glasspack- a Walker 24200 is a ready fit muffler. Avanti mufflers are unique in that there is no offset on the ends. The 24200 has straight ends, 2" I.D. both ends. This is why it is difficult to find an oval type muffler for an Avanti. An oval muffler typically is side inlet, opposite side outlet, or sometimes center outlet...so the inlet and outlet is not in-line.

Comment

I have Silvertone on my Hawk. To my taste the medium tone was a bit too loud. I went back and bought the quite ones.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Sort of new to SDC, only been a member continually since about 1978. The local "FLAPS" (friendly local auto parts store for those in doubt) tried to send me to a foreign car parts place when I said it was for an "Avanti". Swore that Avanti's were "European made", never heard of "Studebaker". (Lawdy, what's this world coming to?) After 30 minutes with his Walker muffler book, I didn't find anything that was "right", hence the enquiry for "happy customer recommendations", because as you know, ads don't always indicate happy customers.

The Avanti muffler needs to be quite flat, due to the fiber floors (with about 3/8" of undercoat on mine), we don't need any more fires, I'm just finishing rebuilding two burned homes. Also, while you can get away with a center in/side out or visa versa, center in and center out is the best fit. Then, the needed "flattened oval" seems to have become a pretty rare thing as well. Thought perhaps someone had come up with a number that would work well, be on the flaps shelf, and be quiet to boot.

Thanks to all who posted, I guess I'll check with Silvertone next.

PS "Stock" in this case does NOT mean glasspack, I'm too old for all that racket, now I'd rather enjoy a light rumble.
            Corley

Comment

Waldron's Exhaust carries the muffler that you seek. In stainless.

Comment

Update on my search for quiet Avanti mufflers:

Waldron's does not carry the Avanti mufflers any longer.

Park's Pipes also does not carry the Avanti mufflers any longer.

Silvertone, IE Duanne Simmons, can supply them, but the lead time is about 6 - 8 weeks. (Price: $220 for both plus shipping from Canada)

Therefore, I've opted to go with the Walker 24200's for the time being, and if they are too loud for my taste, which I assume they will be, I'll order from Silvertone down the road. (Price: $59.89 for both from Summit, including shipping ) So the word is, if you are planning for mufflers in your future, you'd better be getting them on order much earlier than your needs dictate. We are seeing this trend with more and more parts for older vehicles, so people like me who are poor planners need to be more vigilant in their planning. Thanks again to all who helped...
                Corley

Comment

Mufflers? We do'n need no Stinkin Mufflers! Pop it out the sides and set off everyone's car alarms!

That's what I did!

Comment

I think that muffler manufacturing/marketing/sales is like dealing with the mob. IOW, they have you by the short ones!

In a idealistic world, mufflers would come in three or four basic shapes short inlets/outlets thus allowing easy customization by attaching the pipes to fit one's needs.

But such would put a zillion connivers, wheeler dealers and the like out of business and we cain't have any of that, right???

Comment

Well, when installing the Walker 24200s, I found that they are different than the old mufflers that I removed. The DO work though, so all is well. The difference is that the originals that I removed, had a much smaller outlet that actually went inside of the tale pipe, whereas the 24200s are 2" ID on both ends, so the outlet now has to go on the outside of the tail pipe. No biggy, except it's always best on exhaust to have smaller outlets going into larger receiving pipes so exhaust doesn't try to escape out any voids. Anyway, they are on there and I'm done with that for now.

Funny, my header and tail pipes while having been installed about 15-20 years back, were in excellent condition, but the mufflers, also installed at the same time, had holes rusted through them. I also noted that the headers AND tail pipes were a much thicker metal than some new pipe I bought to redo the headers with, for TH700R4 trans clearance. I guess you get what you pay for, but off the self pipe is really thin now days...
                      Corley

Comment

Corley That's because I'am sure it's all coming from China. I bet it will last on where near as long either.

Comment

Working...
                        X