6 volt To 12 volt conversation Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 6 volt To 12 volt conversation Kit

Hi I am working on a club members car it's a 1953 Commander V8 and he wants to convert it to a 12 volt system is there any Vendors that have kits made for Studebakers that have the 6 volt positive ground ? Has anyone used such a kit ? I have done this conversion before but I had to source out all the parts , do any of the Stude Vendors offer such a kit ? Thanks
    Joseph Kastellec

My question is WHY (6 to 12)? The only possibly valid reason is for air conditioning. I have even run a 12 volt negative ground radio in a 1953 Studebaker utilizing an invertor/convertor up behind the dash.
    With the six volt system working properly it will be fine for the limited use that a 1953 will get.
    To answer your question directly - I do not know of a vendor "kit", but there is a vendor that sells a book covering this conversion.
    Last edited by studegary; 06-07-2017, 04:53 PM. Reason: incorrect ground
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      ... there is a vendor that sells a book covering this conversion.
      Gary is referring to Randy Rundle, operating as Fifth Avenue Internet Garage. Randy offers his Fifth Avenue Tech Tips every month in Turning Wheels. And he does sell everything you might need to accomplish the conversion but, as Gary also asked, why?

Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Great move!...A 12 volt electrical system conversion will finally make a car out of that '53 Commander!....I believe you'll once again have to accomplish this worthy task 'piecemeal' though!

Comment

I also wonder why?
          6 volts are great and they will run GPS and cell phone chargers just fine.
          My 6 volt batteries have always lasted much longer than 12 volts.

Comment

A properly maintained 6 volt system works just fine. There are a few reasons to convert, like for accessories. A 12 volt system doesn't make the car start or run any better.
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Joe check your PM

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                Great move!...A 12 volt electrical system conversion will finally make a car out of that '53 Commander!
                Ed, I was under the impression the '53 Commander was a car when it was manufactured! One that still commands admiration today. Please share your thoughts on why it could be anything less. My '53 is still great after 64 years.
                If I recall, you objected to someone reproducing body tags; but apparently major alterations are okay?
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  Ed, I was under the impression the '53 Commander was a car when it was manufactured! One that still commands admiration today. Please share your thoughts on why it could be anything less. My '53 is still great after 64 years.
                  If I recall, you objected to someone reproducing body tags; but apparently major alterations are okay?
                  You equate reproducing serial number plates and body tags to converting a 6V car to 12 volts??...That's a bit of a stretch isn't it ????

Comment

I've had 6 6v cars, all were fine when maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                      I've had 6 6v cars, all were fine when maintained.
                      Oh sure, the auto manufacturers made a BIG MISTAKE when they switched over to 12 volts in the mid fifties!........Actually, in hindsight, someone right here on this forum explained to us why they switched......They did it to save on copper wire!!!!!

Comment

I believe you will have to source out all the parts for this job. My '53 is converted to 12 volt but it already had a '56 289 in it when I got it 30 years ago and it was rigged pretty bad electrically. During the restoration I had the radio and clock converted to 12 volt so I only need a Runtz on the fuel and temp gauges. I just today received the last of my new wiring harnesses from Lark Works so all the wiring is brand new in the car. I plan on using LEDs for all the lights including headlights. I do believe had it been all original when I got it I would have left it 6 volt though.

Comment

Oh sure, the auto manufacturers made a BIG MISTAKE when they switched over to 12 volts in the mid fifties!........Actually, in hindsight, someone right here on this forum explained to us why they switched......They did it to save on copper wire!!!!!
                          No one said it was a mistake to go to 12 volts. Those of us that have owned 6 volt cars know that they are fine that way if properly maintained.
                          Chip
                          '63 Cruiser
                          '57 Packard wagon
                          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Finally, someone who knows the facts. The 'bean counters' were responsible for the change~!

Comment

Working...
                            X