Broken ign. switch wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Broken ign. switch wires

I tried to insert my rewired ignition switch into the dash on my GT and in the process of pushing on it broke some lug connectors.

Now the engine turns and fires, but as soon as I turn the switch back from the "start" position, the engine quits. Is the bright pink wire supposed to be connected to one of the lugs on the switch. It isn't (anymore?) at this point.

Thanks.

Paul
    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

The pink wire goes to the IGN terminal. You're right; the engine won't continue running when the key is released from START if the pink wire is disconnected. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks, Bob. I was in near panic mode with the GT on eBay now. I should have left well enough alone, rather than try to mount the switch properly. I had it mounted once before, but it managed to turn its way out of the bezel. I remembered what a pain it was trying to mount it the first time.

Paul

Comment

I hope you disconnect the battery before fiddling with the switch.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

If you need some ignition switch parts, Bob Edwards has some at the "Churning Wheels" web site. I bought a whole new ignition switch assembly from him and it even had the "START" lettering on it. Some don't.

Bill L.
          Bill L.
          1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            I hope you disconnect the battery before fiddling with the switch.
            Sure did! My dad shocked himself working under a dash once when his wedding ring shorted something out. I was too young to know about it at the time. But the story still lingers in my mind!

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
              If you need some ignition switch parts, Bob Edwards has some at the "Churning Wheels" web site. I bought a whole new ignition switch assembly from him and it even had the "START" lettering on it. Some don't.
              Yeah, mine was from SI, and has no lettering on it. But the switch is still good. Just the ring ends broke off two wires. I'm going to lose my shirt selling this car anyway. Not gon'na spend any more on it.

Paul

Comment

Victory! Got the pink wire attached and now the car starts and continues running. As a bonus, with the longer leads I soldered in, I had enough slack to get the switch mounted in the dash. So much easier to put in the key and start the car compared with the switch dangling from the wires.

Thanks for the helpful info for fixing this.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                X