Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AACA has dropped Studebaker from the Class registrations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AACA has dropped Studebaker from the Class registrations...

Today while filling out my registration for the Father's Day show at Sully Plantation, Chantilly, VA, the Bull Run Chapter of AACA no longer lists Studebaker as a separate class. The closest thing is a general field of "Other Vehicles 1960 -1992". I find this is somewhat off putting.
    They still show Packard however, so since Packard owned Studebaker (so to speak), wouldn't it be acceptable to register as one of them and cause a little heartburn......
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Bob the Sully Plantation show is run by the Bull Run Chapter of the AACA. The parent AACA did not nor will not drop Studebaker from its Classes on Official AACA Show Fields.
    This decision was made by the local Bull Run Chapter and that's who I would contact. If they refuse to change it, put you car on the field as a Packard and then take it up with them when they question your class selection.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
      .... put you car on the field as a Packard and then take it up with them when they question your class selection.
      That's what I intend to do... :-))
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Several years ago I took my 57 Golden Hawk to a multi-make show, at first they wanted place in with Mercedes because it sounded "German". I left. I have also heard that Studebaker built "Packards" are treated like a retarded, disruptive, distant, family member. Is this a great country or what? Ken, Deltaville Va

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
          Bob the Sully Plantation show is run by the Bull Run Chapter of the AACA. The parent AACA did not nor will not drop Studebaker from its Classes on Official AACA Show Fields.
          This decision was made by the local Bull Run Chapter and that's who I would contact. If they refuse to change it, put you car on the field as a Packard and then take it up with them when they question your class selection.
          I would think calling a Studebaker a Packard (Studebaker-Packard Corporation) would only work for 1955 - 1962 model Studebakers.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
            Several years ago I took my 57 Golden Hawk to a multi-make show, at first they wanted place in with Mercedes because it sounded "German". I left. I have also heard that Studebaker built "Packards" are treated like a retarded, disruptive, distant, family member. Is this a great country or what? Ken, Deltaville Va
            In the 1980s, the dreaded California bureaucracy still demanded an emissions inspection of any fifties car at change of ownership. For a time these were all referred to a facility here in town operated by the state itself. My wife and I had just bought an extremely nice '56 Packard Four Hundred and driven it home from the bay area. Cars lined up as though for a slow-moving car wash while a sullen, obese state functionary entered data on a primitive computer screen. "What kind of car is this?" Packard wasn't an option. "Is that GM, Ford or Chrysler?" Brief explanation cut off. "Sir, GM, FORD OR CHRYSLER?" Next thing I recall was her threatening me with physical removal from the property for being non-responsive and disruptive. Defeated and desperate, I thought of the Rochester carb and Delco ignition and uttered "GM." Passed with flying colors.

Old photo of the Packard from a long-ago Packards International issue.
            Attached Files
            Gil Zimmerman
            Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
            1956 Golden Hawk
            1958 Packard Hawk
            1958 President
            1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Yep, I remember the "Hamilton Test Centers" When I bought my Avanti in 1979, I ran it through. The girl there asked me if it was a 6 or an 8, I told her it was a V-12. <G> She actually strated entering that, I did correct her! My Avanti DID pass on the first time through, and that was the ONLY time I went through with it.

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                I would think calling a Studebaker a Packard (Studebaker-Packard Corporation) would only work for 1955 - 1962 model Studebakers.
                Regardless of any other "official" dates, the stock certificate dated June 24 1963 hanging on my wall, still has Studebaker-Packard Corporation printed across the top . However, it has a red stamp plastered on an angle near the bottom, stating the corporation name has been changed to the Studebaker Corporation. I guess they just wanted to use up all the old certificates before printing new ones. So I think it's also fair game to do the same for a car show entry.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                  Yep, I remember the "Hamilton Test Centers" When I bought my Avanti in 1979, I ran it through. The girl there asked me if it was a 6 or an 8, I told her it was a V-12. <G> She actually strated entering that, I did correct her! My Avanti DID pass on the first time through, and that was the ONLY time I went through with it.

Jim
                  Jim, did you endure the various emissions device retrofit schemes that began in CA in the sixties? Good intentions (mostly) often went wrong, too frequently aggravated by profit incentives for private stations to install inappropriate stuff. All of my remaining cars were somehow spared by honest shops or entered the state more recently. Way back there was a very short-lived nitrous oxide reduction campaign. One such device consisted of a plug disabling vacuum ignition timing advance systems and a decal on the speedometer prohibiting speeds in excess of 50. Vendor of "approved" device said to have been politically well connected.

Bob, sorry for wandering far off the issue of that AACA local event. Is your car likely the only Studebaker entry? Planning can get strange at small local gatherings. If they are a good bunch of people, consider playing along. If it's a large and established regional event that should know better, act accordingly. Not sure about the Packard tactic, though.
                  Last edited by riversidevw; 06-06-2017, 08:16 PM.
                  Gil Zimmerman
                  Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                  1956 Golden Hawk
                  1958 Packard Hawk
                  1958 President
                  1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                    the Bull Run Chapter of AACA no longer lists Studebaker as a separate class.
                    Bob, the only reason I can think of is that they know there will only be a couple Studebakers. I have shown some of mine at the local show with over 400 cars and always win for the Other Class. This year the Avanti won the Best in Show.

At least people will see a Studebaker!
                    Never raise your hands to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected.- Red Buttons

'63 Avanti R2
                    '14 Boxster
                    '64 GT Hawk R1 JT
                    '37 Dictator Coupe
                    '37 Dictator Coupe "slight custom"

Comment

Packard should work as Studebaker bought Packard in 1954.... Go Piss em Off!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                        Packard should work as Studebaker bought Packard in 1954.... Go Piss em Off!
                        That's not correct, Kim. Packard bought Studebaker in 1954, not the other way around. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Last weekend I took the 52 to the good guys show here in the bay area there were only 4 Studebaker's out of around 3000 cars one was chopped up and a piece of crap 58 silver hawk, the others were a nice 53 coupe and Gene 37 C/E street rod and the weather was very nice and a good show still would like to see more Studebaker's but they do stand out when there. no problems getting in these kind of shows just pay the money and go in.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

The Sully Father's Day show is not run by the AACA region. It is run by the local Model A Ford Club. They probably dropped the separate Studebaker class because so few Studebakers showed up in recent years.

Comment

So if it's not an official AACA show field gone rogue, I'd suggest participating and enjoying the day while showing an authentic quality Studebaker. They just aren't seen often enough these days. I admit that most of my shows over the years were single marque clubs: Packard and SDC (briefly aka SOCA), but once or twice the Milestone Car Society. In the 60s through early 80s my wife and I entered a few of the big multi-marque Le Cercle charity concours events in LA. Classes were often odd ("1950-60 American Luxury Convertibles"). Lately I'm mostly involved in small amiable local gatherings with people's choice judging, which we know not to take too seriously. No entry fees, no advertising, time to enjoy breakfast. The organizers (all two of us) bring extra ribbons and sometimes improvise special awards to right obvious wrongs. Few photos attached.

Don't think you will regret attending your local event.

Gil
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by riversidevw; 06-07-2017, 07:41 AM.
                              Gil Zimmerman
                              Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                              1956 Golden Hawk
                              1958 Packard Hawk
                              1958 President
                              1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Working...
                              X