Owning a business is fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owning a business is fun

I've mentioned to you, my Stude family, that my business is growing; lest anyone think it's easy, here's the other side:

Last Thursday one of my employees asked to borrow my car, as his wife had their minivan, and his was down. Naturally I said sure, and told him he could take my Lincoln, which he had a thing for anyway. He closed the store and headed home. and got about a mile away. Although the roads were bare and dry, he said he hit some black ice and this was the result:

Went into a ditch, flipped, and slid upside down over 100' across an elderly man's lawn, stopping about 2 feet from his house. He escaped with a broken shoulder blade and bruised hip, but will be OK. Cops told me that although they didn't write him for it, they feel he was going TOO fast. This was a powerful car, and I guess he didn't respect it, probably playing with the stereo or something.

Don't get me wrong- I'm counting the many blessings, mostly that George wasn't seriously hurt. I'll eat the car, as there's no collision on dealer plates. I'll be trying it on eBay in the near future. The elderly man taught me Algebra in Junior High 32 years ago, and was a good sport about it. In the Spring I'll have his lawn fixed and shrubs replaced. As for George, he's a good guy, and one of my best workers; so we'll get past this. Eventually.

Can't help but shake my head and laugh! But the moral of the story is, do-do happens, and when it's business related, the complication factor goes through the roof[xx(]

Anyone want to buy a nice Mark 8? Ran when parked, needs "restored".

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Well, Bob, count your blessings: nobody dead, one guy (who is most to blame) slightly injured, and property damage that is significant, but not crippling.

Hopefully, your employee will be able to make good some of the damage, too.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Well, Bob, count your blessings: nobody dead, one guy (who is most to blame) slightly injured, and property damage that is significant, but not crippling.

Hopefully, your employee will be able to make good some of the damage, too.

Comment

I had the opposite problem. I backed into my carpenter's PT Cruiser. Actually he wanted to leave early and I blocked him!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I had the opposite problem. I backed into my carpenter's PT Cruiser. Actually he wanted to leave early and I blocked him!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Bo, having owned three different businesses of my own throughout the years i understand your situation. It's always those around you who give you the greatest challenges. Like you say, you'll get through it and eventually all will be fine. Too bad for the car but it can be repaired or slavaged and great your employee was not seriously hurt.

See you in the future as I write about our past
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Bo, having owned three different businesses of my own throughout the years i understand your situation. It's always those around you who give you the greatest challenges. Like you say, you'll get through it and eventually all will be fine. Too bad for the car but it can be repaired or slavaged and great your employee was not seriously hurt.

See you in the future as I write about our past
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

No, I'm with you guys, it could have been MUCH worse! All that's lost is money; we'll overcome that. Does add to the challenge of what we're building, but that's what makes it fun

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

No, I'm with you guys, it could have been MUCH worse! All that's lost is money; we'll overcome that. Does add to the challenge of what we're building, but that's what makes it fun

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Bob, Looks like a drive train for one of the Larks.

Comment

Bob, Looks like a drive train for one of the Larks.

Comment

Actually, the Intech 32 valve 4.6 V8 is a super engine- indestructible, efficient, and makes these cars go like a ROCKET. I had toyed with the idea, but am intimidated by the electronics aspect.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Actually, the Intech 32 valve 4.6 V8 is a super engine- indestructible, efficient, and makes these cars go like a ROCKET. I had toyed with the idea, but am intimidated by the electronics aspect.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Too bad about the Mark VIII - I always thought those were sweet cars. There's really not much point is blowing up over things like this. What's done is done. I had a similar situation where my son side-swiped my daily driver that I have spent so much time customizing. I was disappointed, but inside a week it was fixed and I knew he was heart-sick over it (dad, I still feel bad about burning a hole in the seat of the olds station wagon when I was 18 or 19, too) and he paid the deductible, so why do I have to make it worse ? Your man has broken bones to remind him and he has to face you when he returns to work. If he's a good guy, he will always feel bad about it. In the end, we will save ourselves a lot of wasted energy and emotions (and maybe associated physical and mental problems), if we are able to rise above the loss of an object. Have a great day

--george (not the George in the story!)

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Too bad about the Mark VIII - I always thought those were sweet cars. There's really not much point is blowing up over things like this. What's done is done. I had a similar situation where my son side-swiped my daily driver that I have spent so much time customizing. I was disappointed, but inside a week it was fixed and I knew he was heart-sick over it (dad, I still feel bad about burning a hole in the seat of the olds station wagon when I was 18 or 19, too) and he paid the deductible, so why do I have to make it worse ? Your man has broken bones to remind him and he has to face you when he returns to work. If he's a good guy, he will always feel bad about it. In the end, we will save ourselves a lot of wasted energy and emotions (and maybe associated physical and mental problems), if we are able to rise above the loss of an object. Have a great day

--george (not the George in the story!)

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Working...
                              X