PDA

View Full Version : "Stupid is as stupid does"

06-04-2017, 05:44 PM
A memorable Forrest Gump statement. Yesterday it fit me too well and now I'm on light duty for a while.

There was a low, loose stone wall between my driveway and my neighbor's driveway. Apparently the man who lived here before us didn't want the neighbor to infringe on his property, hence the wall. I get along fine with the neighbor and we agreed the wall was a pain to trim around and we decided that it had to come down. He offered to help me, but he puts in long days commuting and working so I said I'll get it. Yesterday I hitched up my utility trailer and went to the wall. I carefully loaded about 70 flat sand stones varying in size and weight. I was careful to wear my Red Wing work shoes with steel toes. I brought the load up to my yard and unloaded and stacked the stones. Lunch time. Took off the work shoes so I didn't track dirt in to house.

After lunch I decided to go down to the wall and, if it was in the sun, I'd just gather the mail and go back to the house. I was pretty sure it was too hot so I didn't take time to put on my Red Wings. Got on the tractor went back down, trailer attached. When I got there I decided I'd just go ahead and load the rest anyhow. I loaded about another 70 stones. I picked up the very last stone and carried it to the trailer. When I lifted it over the sideboard I bumped the board and the stone was knocked out of my hands. It first hit the fender then aimed squarely for my foot which was wearing a canvas deck shoe. The sharp edge of the rock caught me across the toes of my left foot- excruciating pain. I pulled off the shoe and saw that my sock was bloody. Drove back toward the house and told my wife I had a foot injury. After pulling off the bloody sock we agreed that I'd better get professional attention so we went to a local urgent care facility. Xray and examination- two broken toes and a badly bruised foot. No cast, but my toes are taped together and I'm not to flex my foot for several weeks. All for not taking time to put on my Red Wings.

I weighed the rock- 20 pounds.

jclary
06-04-2017, 06:04 PM
Good grief Paul!:eek: As a self imposed fellow victim of similar activity...I have aggravated the rotator-cuff that has NOT been operated on:(...I can sympathize and empathize with your situation.:QQ: Prayers are offered for your swift recovery.:)

In your case, performing the task without the assistance of your neighbor, you bring truth to the old saying, "no good deed goes unpunished!":ohmy:

DEEPNHOCK
06-04-2017, 07:47 PM
BTDT...
Kicked a 4 way lug wrench one time to crack a lug nut loose.
It popped loose easy and my sneaker clad foot slammed the driveway.
My proximal phalange was dislocated and flipped up on top of my foot.
I popped it back into place (a relief), but then it turned black and hurt like $#!t
When I hobbled into the ER, the nurse sat me down, looked at my toe/foot and said "You shouldn't be walking on that!"
Well.....Duhhh....
I've never trusted a 4way lug wrench after that...

Avantidon
06-04-2017, 08:32 PM
Paul all good deeds have a consequence even when we attempt to do them in a way that will keep us safe. Then suddenly we decide to do the task when we are not ready for all situations and we end up hurt. Sorry to hear of the injury but i wear my boots daily as I never know what I am about to do until I start it. Thinking of you my friend.

rockinhawk
06-04-2017, 10:43 PM
Paul, As a stonemason by trade,I can say I feel your pain! Been there, done that.

John, You need to get that rotator cuff fixed ASAP. I was in a Truck wreck Oct. 2015 and tore mine. Doc said it needed to be repaired. I continued working with it damaged for a year. Doc then said I had further damaged it to the point where it was no longer repairable. I now have a steel ball joint and a plastic socket.I don't recommend it.

wittsend
06-05-2017, 01:55 AM
The pain you feel now may be the least of it. Wait until the bill arrives. :ohmy: Last year I was cutting on the table saw (and, yes using a push stick) but apparently the stick wasn't long enough. The stick was slightly elevated and I mistakenly had my index finger extended to direct it. Short side of the story the stick caught the rotating blade, slammed my finger downward right into the teeth. I bifurcated my index finger to the back of the nail. On a scale of 1-10 the pain never went above a 5. Then the bill came.

Cleaning, x-ray and four stitches was initially $5,400 for the 45 minutes I was in the ER. Though my $7,000 deductible never kicked in the "negotiated rate" of the insurance bought it down to $2,700. After some wrangling it came down to $2,200. I heard later if I had gone to an urgent care it would have been considerably less. So, by your account you made the right move there. Don't let the Red Wind issue get you too much. If you had them on I'm sure the rock would have injured your knee. Enjoy the opportunity to rest and get well soon.

tsenecal
06-05-2017, 11:51 AM
It had to be that very last rock, Didn't it? Sorry you were injured.

Commander Eddie
06-05-2017, 12:36 PM
It had to be that very last rock, Didn't it? Sorry you were injured.

If it had not been the last rock. . . it still would have been the last rock! Ba-boom!

BobPalma
06-11-2017, 09:33 PM
:eek: BTDT, too. Age 15, working in a gas station before old enough to drive.

We had an old 30-gallon grease drum cut in half longways and cleaned out to be used as a water trough to test tires and tubes for leaks by immersing them. Being a rural community (Paris, Illinois) that did a lot of farm tires, the water in the half drum got pretty muddy.

One day, wearing tennis shoes, I decided to take it upon myself to lift the half barrel and carry it over to the floor drain and empty it so I could rinse it out and put fresh water in it. :) I underestimated either the weight of the water and/or my ability to carry it very far. :oops: I ultimately dropped it on my big toe on my right foot. :QQ: The nail became so ingrown it required outpatient surgery. To this day, 56 years later, the nail on that toe grows at glacial speed and looks odd.

'worn a set of steel-toed Red Wings ever since. ;) :cool: BP

06-12-2017, 09:38 AM
...The nail became so ingrown it required outpatient surgery. To this day, 56 years later, the nail on that toe grows at glacial speed and looks odd.

'worn a set of steel-toed Red Wings ever since. ;) :cool: BP
Years ago I dropped something fairly heavy on the big toe of my left foot. Kind of messed up the toenail. That's what got me to buy a pair of steel-toe work shoes. Got a pair on sale at Sears for something like $29 and they lasted quite a while. Finally they got so ratty that the steel cap came out of one. So, I decided I was going to have an American shoe and drove 30 miles to the nearest Red Wing store. Turned out that only two lines of Red Wings were still made in the US. I had to settle for a Chinese pair.
The messed up toenail has never been right since the drop. It grows back crooked and sloughs off when it gets long enough and it has another toenail growing under it.