PDA

View Full Version : Location of 1961 lark od transmission chrome handle??

Gregor
06-03-2017, 12:50 PM
I am finally getting to hook up my OD Transmission (1961 6 cyl, LARK) but do not know where the chrome OD handle gets mounted on my dash?

I do have two existing holes under the dash directly beside the red hood release handle which is as far left of the steering wheel as possible but those holes will not allow me to mount the OD handle due to lack of space.

Just looking for any distance from the steering wheel column right or left since there are no other pre-existing holes?

Any and all inputs appreciated. Thanks,
Gregor

StudeRich
06-03-2017, 02:32 PM
You ARE in the right area definitely LEFT of the Steering Column, maybe your Left Fresh Air Vent Cable is in the wrong place? I don't know what is in your way, it SHOULD work.

Gregor
06-03-2017, 03:37 PM
StudeRich,
I have two fresh air vents side by side just left of the steering column. Maybe one of those is in the wrong place. I will check it out tomorrow. The two holes that are beside the red handle are just way too close to work.
Thanks for your input, I will see if one of those will move to a more appropriate spot to clear the way for the Chrome handle, after all, there isnt much chrome on this plain jane and it would dress it up:)

studegary
06-03-2017, 07:37 PM
It has been a long time since I owned a '61 Lark.
I believe that the chrome overdrive handle goes between the red hood release handle and the two black vent knobs. The OD handle goes closer to the hood handle than to the vent knobs. Perhaps one or more of the existing items are in the incorrect placement. The hood release should be FAR to the left. Is it possible that the hood release is in the holes meant for the OD pull? Or maybe one of the vent knobs is in the space meant for the OD. The vent knobs should be close together. What is the interference that is causing the "lack of space"?

Gregor
06-05-2017, 01:28 PM
I have re-checked the situation this morning, this is what I have. The Red handle (hood) is as far over on the left as possible. Within one inch of that there is a hole then another one which I assumed was for mounting the OD handle. The problem comes when I hold the OD handle mounting bracket up to the two pre-existing holes, the chrome handle hits the Red handle because the chrome OD handle is on an angle based on those two existing holes. Does this help, does it tell me that I have a wrong mounting bracket? or do you think I should try to fit in two holes by drilling the dash?

old fart
06-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Gregor :

Maybe if you registered your car in the registry you might find an owner that knows for sure . Try it , won't cost a thing but a little time and you will know where other 61 owners are .

Old Fart

StudeRich
06-05-2017, 04:40 PM
If that were my car I would not worry about where the holes are or SHOULD be, I would just use one and drill the other or whatever it takes to get it where it works well with everything around it.

As long as it is SOMEWHERE between the Air Vent Handles and the Hood Release, it will look correct and be fine. :)

StudeNewby
06-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Perhaps this will help?

Gregor
06-05-2017, 05:40 PM
StudeNewby and StudeRich, Thanks to both of you for your input. I planned on doing exactly what StudeRich said then I saw the picture of StudeNewby. I believe one of the holes is directly where it belongs and I will drill the other to place it where Rich says and it looks like in the photo.

As far as "old fart" goes, I can see where you got your handle. I joined this forum back on 2011, didnt know of any "registry". Any help will be appreciated.

StudeNewby
06-06-2017, 10:23 PM
Teamwork makes the dream work...at least that's what my students tell me!

jackb
06-07-2017, 09:36 AM
I think the dashes were pre-drilled at the factory to accept any conveniences a build order demanded ? You shouldn't need to drill any holes.....

Gregor
06-08-2017, 09:59 PM
After getting the photo from StudeNewby I could see the approx distance between the Red handle and the OD handle. I had to move the left vent handle/cable closer to the Red handle and use the Vent holes for the OD handle.

Thanks to all, now my problem is physically getting that cable fed down to the cable without too many interruptions of shift levers, etc. and the FINAL PROBLEM is to figure where the cable should clamp at the tranny in order to make the cable stable and movable?? I also do not have any type of clamp, etc. and cant seem to find one.

StudeRich
06-08-2017, 10:17 PM
Most Models had a "Guide Clip" that the Cable goes thru on the Left Rear Trans. Top Cover Bolt. That one did not secure the Cable Housing to allow the Wire to "Pull" and "Push", it was just a basic loop of thin steel to keep it in place. The "Clamping" was done closer to or AT the Trans. Shift Lever.

Gregor
06-09-2017, 10:10 AM
I'm having a difficult time weaving the cable to the destination. Once I get that I will need to figure out a clamp. StudeRich, you mention a "Top Cover Bolt", can you explain that location? Sorry, I just spent last night on my back under the Lark and didnt have much success, any guidance is appreciated. I am getting tranny shift levers, etc in the way, just looking for a clean shot back to loop this cable and then worry about the clamp. If I had a better feel for where the cable comes close to the tranny, (ie: lower or upper part, I would start weaving the cable near that). I know, I sound stupid on this, well.............I am.

Gregor
06-19-2017, 04:56 PM
I have succeeded in attaching the cable to the OD level on the tranny (hurrah) BUT I am not finding the right place to pull the cable through the firewall. The way I have it hits the pedals inside the car (clutch and brake) and it hits the shift linkage going down to the tranny. I have attached a photo, please let me know if you guys know a good location (hole) where the cable should come through the firewall. The photo shows you that I have it just under and to the left of the master cylinder at the bottom of the main steering wheel column hole, this is not working.

StudeRich
06-20-2017, 10:42 PM
If I had to guess, I would say the rubber Plug that has not been opened up yet, right below the Main Wire Harness is where the Cable would want to go from the under dash bracket's location.

The Bolt I mentioned is well defined, it's on TOP of the Trans. check post #13 again. :)

bensherb
06-21-2017, 02:47 AM
Yes, the cable goes through the grommet below the wiring harness.

Some pics that may help. These are of the '61 lark I had, bought it from the original owner. Click on the pics, they get bigger and bigger.