PDA

View Full Version : Chipped a tooth in the Dana 44

warrlaw1
06-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Installed a newly rebuilt tranny (DG250M) in the 55 Commander and tried some hole shots. Lots of rubber, a sideways drift and felt a shift in the driveline. Checked the hanger bearing and that was loose. Ordered new rubber cushions for it and had the driveline aligned again. Went for a test drive and still have a rumble in the Dana 44. Last year I went from 3.31:1 to 3.73:1 and with the new tranny I guess the old axels may have metal fatigue. Good to find out about it now than at the Pure Stock Drags (500 miles from home). Wish I could go to flanged axels and TT, but that wasn't available in 55 so I guess I'll keep doing hole shots and testing my axels. Three months to get ready. It's worth coming to watch in September. I'll either get competitive or put on a horror show :)6455164551

t walgamuth
06-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Could you switch to a ford 9"?

warrlaw1
06-02-2017, 10:20 AM
They look the same. I'm thinking I would be busted if I left a patch with both wheels (lol).

sweetolbob
06-02-2017, 11:04 AM

Doubt it, it's called pure stock for a reason. Easy to see the difference, 9" has no cover on the back of the housing.

JoeHall
06-02-2017, 11:08 AM
So, in the PSMCD, flanged axles are only allowed in 1966 Studes? They did not come stock in 1955 Studes, nor 1965, nor any year in between.

StudeRich
06-02-2017, 12:01 PM
The Flanged Axles are original in Later 1965's and without looking up Serial Numbers for the change, pretty hard to tell what '65's had them. ;)

But maybe the Moser's are considered a "Safety" item? I am pretty sure they ARE being used at the PSMCD, that's what Hub Caps are for.

warrlaw1
06-02-2017, 12:14 PM
I have a flanged axel 44 with TT and 3.07 gears. Was putting that into the 54 build and I'll have some spare tapered axels out of the Dana 44 in the 54. I will carry a spare :)

WinM1895
06-02-2017, 12:42 PM
People that own 1948/52 F1's, 1953/56 F100's that want to swap in a Ford 9" in place of the Spicer/Dana 35/44, have discovered that the 1957/72 F100 9" will swap in with next to no modifications excepting for the rear shock lower mounting brackets.

1948/52 F1's, 1953/67 F100's have 11" x 1 3/4" rear brakes. 1968/72 F100's have 11" x 2 1/4" rear brakes.

The right/left axle shafts of 1957/67 F100's (B7TZ-4234-A) are the same, have 28 splines.

However, there are two different types of 1968/72 F100 9 inchers.

One has a 9" ring gear, 28 spline axleshafts (C8TZ-4234-A - R/L same). The other has a 9 3/8" ring gear, 31 spline axle shafts (C8TZ-4234-B - R/L same).

Here's some more info before you go searching in junk yards: 1959/67 F100's with optional Limited Slip came with the Spicer/Dana 44.

There were two other Dana's w/Limited Slip available as an option for 1963/69 F100's: 1963/66: Dana 60.2 .. 1966/69: Dana 60.3

rusty nut garage
06-02-2017, 01:28 PM
I've never participated in PSMCD but I find it hard to believe that they would catch a flanged axle upgrade. You'd have to remove the wheel,hub and inspect the axle. These axles are weak by inherent designe. add 60 years of abuse and now launching hard at a strip your asking for trouble. Body work is expensive not to mention safety. I'd recommend the flanged axles :-)

61Lark
06-02-2017, 01:50 PM
I would contact the organizers about flanged axles before writing them off. Its a safety issue not a performance improvement.

2R5
06-02-2017, 02:03 PM
I'd bet that the red tomato and brown wrapper have flanged axles

R3 challenger
06-02-2017, 02:23 PM
You're right, Bob; both the Tomato and the Wrapper have flanged axles. They tend not to object to safety items at the PSMCDR. After all, they require seat belts for all years. (The Wrapper is a clone R3 with a real R3 engine, but any R3/R4 Studebaker built at the factory would have had flanged axles. Clones are allowed.) We bent four tapered axles on the Wrapper--one dangerously so--before going to the flanged unit.

Here is the exact wording of the rules about rear axles: "The rear axle must be of the same manufacturer as the car. Any gear ratio is allowed. Lightweight driveshafts NOT allowed. Driveshaft safety loops are mandatory on all cars 13.99 and faster. Spools of any kind are NOT allowed."

Note that nothing is said about factory-type limited slip differentials.

George

I'd bet that the red tomato and brown wrapper have flanged axles

WinM1895
06-02-2017, 02:50 PM
Here is the exact wording of the rules about rear axles: "The rear axle must be of the same manufacturer as the car." ?
The way this is worded makes no sense. When did Studebaker make their own 'in house' rear axles?

When did Spicer make a Studebaker?

sweetolbob
06-02-2017, 03:02 PM
The way this is worded makes no sense. When did Studebaker make their own 'in house' rear axles?

When did Spicer make a Studebaker?

Or a Dodge, but I think the rules suggest that if it came under the car from the factory then those are all the brand parts allowed. PSMCD want you to race stock but they have some wiggle room for safety, etc. The rule book isn't the US tax code but a document that lets the owners provide racing in a particular fashion, keep it fun and they reserve the right to define stock.

I'd agree with George on the limited slip for the above reasons.

Bob

warrlaw1
06-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Super cool! They didn't mind my brake upgrade to Turner discs on front....for the same reasons, safety. If I go to flanged axels, the wheel studs are on the axel and not swedged into the drums. Any body got a line on rear brake drums that will work with flanged. I need two sets, one for the 55 and one for the 54 build. I'm dog tired as I just pulled the 232 out of the 54 and have it loaded on the truck It's a happy tired.

61Lark
06-02-2017, 04:31 PM
I used these when I did the conversion last summer.

https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/agora.cgi?product=brakes7&cart_id=3854.71172

41 Frank
06-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Super cool! They didn't mind my brake upgrade to Turner discs on front....for the same reasons, safety. If I go to flanged axels, the wheel studs are on the axel and not swedged into the drums. Any body got a line on rear brake drums that will work with flanged. I need two sets, one for the 55 and one for the 54 build. I'm dog tired as I just pulled the 232 out of the 54 and have it loaded on the truck It's a happy tired.

You can use your own brake drums by removing the wheel studs and discarding the hub.

61Lark
06-02-2017, 05:34 PM
You can use your own brake drums by removing the wheel studs and discarding the hub.

Check your center pilot diameter before you go to the effort of removing the hub. Studebaker used two different diameters.

warrlaw1
06-02-2017, 07:02 PM
My good old boy ruined four nice drums trying to press the studs out. Warped. I'll check out 61Lark's link. Thanks all.

warrlaw1
06-04-2017, 10:04 AM
StudebakerParts.com has the drums. Hope they ship to Canada? Thanks 61Lark. That solves my axel problem with the 55. Each year I get more power to the rear wheels and once I get that sorted I can go back to tuning. Love the thought of O2 sensors. Running 6 volt, still. Another challenge :)

SN-60
06-04-2017, 05:05 PM
I do get it ...it's your car, and your free to do what you want with it....however, what the heck is the point of beating the crap out of it on the dragstrip??????

Parts will inevitably break, that newly rebuilt DG 250M probably being the first....then the twisted axle shafts.....chipped teeth on ring gears............WHO NEEDS IT??

A '55 Commander hardtop wasn't built for abuse like that!!

Run it down the strip a few times for top speed & e.t. and be done with it!!!

(Please pardon my venting here...but, once again, why would you want to continually abuse your very nice Studebaker like this????? :confused:)

JoeHall
06-04-2017, 08:43 PM
I do get it ...it's your car, and your free to do what you want with it....however, what the heck is the point of beating the crap out of it on the dragstrip??????

Parts will inevitably break, that newly rebuilt DG 250M probably being the first....then the twisted axle shafts.....chipped teeth on ring gears............WHO NEEDS IT??

(Please pardon my venting here...but, once again, why would you want to continually abuse your very nice Studebaker like this????? :confused:)

Ted Harbit has been racing Studes for decades. Some folks race them, and others just drive them; some both race and drive them. I don't race them, but its fun to watch the ones who do.

PackardV8
06-04-2017, 08:58 PM

(Please pardon my venting here...but, once again, why would you want to continually abuse your very nice Studebaker like this????? :confused:)Because it's there. Your opinions may vary, and if you want to own a museum piece, that's fine. I still drive mine like I stole 'em.

Back in its' day, the '55 Stude was one of the hottest cars on the street and we raced them against all comers and beat most stock cars. No '55 Chevy or Ford stood a chance. The rare '55 Buick with a stick was reportedly to be feared, but I never actually saw one of those.

JMHO, but the dozen Studes in the PSMCDR are going to get more interested in the marque than hundreds parked on show lawns ever will.

jack vines

SN-60
06-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Because it's there. Your opinions may vary, and if you want to own a museum piece, that's fine. I still drive mine like I stole 'em.

Back in its' day, the '55 Stude was one of the hottest cars on the street and we raced them against all comers and beat most stock cars. No '55 Chevy or Ford stood a chance. The rare '55 Buick with a stick was reportedly to be feared, but I never actually saw one of those.

JMHO, but the dozen Studes in the PSMCDR are going to get more interested in the marque than hundreds parked on show lawns ever will.

jack vines

I understand that Jack...and, to reiterate, 'his car-his choice'!..........Perhaps the PBW is a better example?....A 'real' R3 Studebaker engine is under its hood, and 'the boys' have been pounding on that engine for quite some time now.

Hopefully, they'll never toss a rod, however, if something like that ever does happen, well, to me anyway, it would be a pointless shame (IMHO)

(We are, after all, really only 'caretakers' of these rather special cars.........Your opinion may differ!;))

bob40
06-04-2017, 09:42 PM
Drag racing a '55. Owner does it because the enjoys it.
Driving a Avanti II through the snow in the winter because the owner enjoys it.
Choose your own type of enjoyment and don't judge the others choice.
I will toss in that the '55 was built for the occasional race moment.As PackardV8 said there were many street races back in the day.
Those cars were also used to pull trailers that may or may not have been overloaded.
They pulled boats,campers and were used as cars were used for back when new.
Only now do they get the pampered treatment.
Opinions may vary.

warrlaw1
06-05-2017, 06:49 AM
I'm close to retirement and really enjoy the help and encouragement I get from the people who "really" race Studebakers. It's been a blast. I'm building a 54 for my road trips during my golden years, but I'll keep showing up at the races with the 55 and try to get a little more competitive each time. My first 55 I drove into the ground. At least this one gets the attention and maintenance it deserves. A little boy came up to me at the races and said "Your car is my favorite, and my daddy says you're an idiot for racing it". I see so many fast looking cars at cruise nights that never competed. That seems a little odd to me. Each to their own, but kudos to SDC and the racing crew for keeping it "real".

warrlaw1
06-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Just ordered the brake drums from StudebakerParts.com. Had to do it by phone 'cause my browser didn't like the website check-out (kept charging for 8 drums!). The lady was nice, recognized my name from the races and was so helpful. Lots of good things come from pushing the limits of a nice old car (lol).