PDA

View Full Version : American pickers

toymobile
06-01-2017, 07:37 AM
Watched last night and the Studies were a favorite of the guy that PASSED.

Mike and Frank don't seem to have any interest is Studies, is it because the RESALE is not very good??

was the guy a member here or his son is a member??

Johnny

t walgamuth
06-01-2017, 08:29 AM
They're looking for a quick flip or a rustoration project. They seem to like Fords quite a bit.

Avantidon
06-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Many Studebakers were seen as they walked around the property but they were looking for motorcycles and that's what they bought. Both Mike and Frank are big motorcycle guys and when you find rare cycles like they found on last night's show that's what they are going to concentrate on. They spent $90,500.00 last night mostly on those rare motorcycles. By the way there were some pretty rare Franklins there as well and they passed on them too.

WinM1895
06-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Awhile back, the pickers bought a ratty 1950 Studebaker two door sedan (not a Starlight), when they finally sold it, they made no money on it.

Among other things, Mike has bought two Nash Healey's, a 1929 Packard coupe (appears to have a Holbrook custom body), '32 Ford roadster, '33 Ford coupe.

Frank seems to have no clue on what the cars he's bought are worth, has lost money on all of them.

However, one has to wonder if Mike and Frank are buying the cars, or the shows production company is actually buying them.

4jc8z
06-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Awhile back, the pickers bought a ratty 1950 Studebaker two door sedan (not a Starlight), when they finally sold it, they made no money on it.

Among other things, Mike has bought two Nash Healey's, a 1929 Packard coupe (appears to have a Holbrook custom body), '32 Ford roadster, '33 Ford coupe.

Frank seems to have no clue on what the cars he's bought are worth, has lost money on all of them.

However, one has to wonder if Mike and Frank are buying the cars, or the shows production company is actually buying them.

Having been present when the show was filmed at Jim Bahr's in Wisconsin, in July 2015, I can say the following: The show is more a scripted show then a 'reality show', and it is not Mike and Frank doing the buying, like the show tries to purport.

They send out a team to negotiate prices ahead of time, them the bargaining gets reenacted once Mike and Frank show up and cameras roll. The producers decide what major purchases to make. The whole call the expert on the pedal car and find out it is worth more then what Jim was asking was planned ahead of time to give interesting viewing material.

The show is so scripted, they filmed at Jim Bahr's on a Friday. Took them about 12 hours of taping. When Jim's significant other came home from work, as she at the last minute managed to get time off work, they blocked her from coming in the driveway, as they didn't want any unplanned distractions. She was NOT a happy camper.

Also, Jim showed me the contract he signed with A&E Television Networks (who produces it for the History Channel), and in there it states the production company will send him 1099 form, however, the network agrees to reimburse him for what he pays to the IRS.

bumpkinvilledano
06-01-2017, 11:41 AM
The show is more a scripted show then a 'reality show',.

I think you will find that with ANY of the "reality" shows. A buddy of mine worked on tv shows before moving to movies only. He told of a couple different shows where there were 3-4 hours of shooting to get 5 minutes of tv time.

sweetolbob
06-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Having been present when the show was filmed at Jim Bahr's in Wisconsin, in July 2015, I can say the following<snip>

Pretty much what I expected from that "reality" show. Thanks for the on-site experience. Still like the show, though. One of the few that hasn't worn thin yet. Bob

Gunslinger
06-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Just this past weekend my wife and daughter went to the huge flea market in Connecticut to browse...it happened to be a day that the "reality" show "Flea Market Flip" was being filmed and they watched a while. My wife said there's a lot going on off-screen and it while it may not be as scripted as some shows, it was to some degree. As the show guests look for things to renew for the format of the show, there were spotters ahead of them pointing out items. Since they were under time constraints I understand the need for that, but it's still pretty far from reality.

BobPalma
06-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Having been present when the show was filmed at Jim Bahr's in Wisconsin, in July 2015, I can say the following: The show is more a scripted show then a 'reality show', and it is not Mike and Frank doing the buying, like the show tries to purport.

They send out a team to negotiate prices ahead of time, them the bargaining gets reenacted once Mike and Frank show up and cameras roll. The producers decide what major purchases to make. The whole call the expert on the pedal car and find out it is worth more then what Jim was asking was planned ahead of time to give interesting viewing material.

The show is so scripted, they filmed at Jim Bahr's on a Friday. Took them about 12 hours of taping. When Jim's significant other came home from work, as she at the last minute managed to get time off work, they blocked her from coming in the driveway, as they didn't want any unplanned distractions. She was NOT a happy camper.

Also, Jim showed me the contract he signed with A&E Television Networks (who produces it for the History Channel), and in there it states the production company will send him 1099 form, however, the network agrees to reimburse him for what he pays to the IRS.

:mad: Entirely believable, Heather; thanks for the on-site insight. :cool: BP

WinM1895
06-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Pawn Stars is so fake, I quite watching it. For one thing, due to NV privacy laws, the show is filmed on a set, not in the actual pawn shop.

Some of the stuff that Rick and et cetera are buying, is already owned by the shop.

One of the cars they supposedly bought ('57 Chevy 2 door sedan) then restored and gave to the 'old man' .. never actually occurred.

Plus, the Harrison's and Chumley are only there when filming occurs. The show has made them millionaires, so they stay away....otherwise.

People standing outside in a long line (Vegas is very HOT in the summer) are likely disappointed when they don't see them once they finally get in.

spokejr
06-01-2017, 08:38 PM
"Reality TV"

Truly, a contradiction in terms...

63avanti.
06-01-2017, 09:03 PM
That's quite dissapointing that it is all staged. I figured some was but had hoped it all wasn't. Oh well.

SN-60
06-01-2017, 09:26 PM
Pawn Stars is so fake, I quite watching it. For one thing, due to NV privacy laws, the show is filmed on a set, not in the actual pawn shop.

Some of the stuff that Rick and et cetera are buying, is already owned by the shop.

One of the cars they supposedly bought ('57 Chevy 2 door sedan) then restored and gave to the 'old man' .. never actually occurred.

Plus, the Harrison's and Chumley are only there when filming occurs. The show has made them millionaires, so they stay away....otherwise.

People standing outside in a long line (Vegas is very HOT in the summer) are likely disappointed when they don't see them once they finally get in.

I've been to the 'Gold & Silver Pawn Shop' on Las Vegas Blvd where the show is filmed.......Interesting experience! :!!:

WinM1895
06-01-2017, 10:39 PM
I watched this episode last Monday night, the Spectrum TV info said it was a new show, but as soon as I spotted the red Studebaker truck, I knew it was an rerun, probably with new "enhanced" scenes.

Thanks to you I now know this show is a fake.

What gets me is...when these two goofs are free-styling, looking on the sides of the road for possibly picks.

The possible free style picks aren't...as they already been scouted and the prices have been negotiated.

Remember the show when the two goofs bought a convertible body they didn't know what it was from? I yelled at the screen: AMERICAN BANTAM!!!

Who owns the store in Nashville? My guess is...the production company.

Oh and I would "bet the farm" that their Ford Transit has been loaned to the production company by FoMoCo. Mike's brother also has one. The Transit is one of the shows sponsors, so...

And as far as Pawn Stars is concerned, I'd be surprised if Sean, their firearms "expert" would know a Winchester from a "cornbinder!"

In one of the first shows, Sean looked at a 1st generation nickel plated ivory handled Colt SAA, said the serial number didn't match due to the number on the loading gate. Ridiculous!

The number on the loading gate is an assembly number, it's also found on the trigger guard.

Only the US marked Colts (this one wasn't) have a serial number on the loading gate and it's only a partial number.

And 'ol Sean didn't know that this SAA had been re-nickled. It was obvious, as the screws on the frame were plated. In reality, these were blued.

t walgamuth
06-01-2017, 10:42 PM

Filmed on a set? As an Architect I always thought the store looks a lot bigger inside than outside. So, yeah, a set makes a lot of sense.

WinM1895
06-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Filmed on a set? As an Architect I always thought the store looks a lot bigger inside than outside. So, yeah, a set makes a lot of sense.
Next time you watch the show, notice there is hardly anyone in the "shop" and none of these people turn around to watch the filming, so my guess is, they're members of the production company.

The front door is visible in some scenes, but it's cloudy, so you cannot see outside. In reality the real door is clear, you can see people walking by and vehicles whizzing by.

I googled earthed the shop a coupla months ago, at the NE corner of the building, is a large two story edition which may house the set.

When the southside parking lot and the pawn shop building behind it are shown, you cannot see this two story edition. So either the pic is old, or they 'erase' the edition.

Michidan
06-02-2017, 08:31 AM
All these shows where they supposedly find something old and neat and then give us the back story are just riding the coat tails of the original, good old 'Antiques Roadshow'.
Still the only show on TV that can distract me enough to sit down and get interested.

t walgamuth
06-02-2017, 10:25 AM
All these shows where they supposedly find something old and neat and then give us the back story are just riding the coat tails of the original, good old 'Antiques Roadshow'.
Still the only show on TV that can distract me enough to sit down and get interested.

It is great!

sweetolbob
06-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Both Iowa and Nashville stores post the times they are open for business and it's seven days a week. It would seem to me to be too good a business opportunity to just have store fronts that were only sets for the show. Bob

WinM1895
06-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Both Iowa and Nashville stores post the times they are open for business and it's seven days a week.

It would seem to me to be too good a business opportunity to just have store fronts that were only sets for the show. ??
What in the world?

Where did I say anything inre American Pickers having store front filming sets?

What I did say was that due to NV privacy laws, Pawn Stars is filmed on a set, not in their store.

When I googled earthed their location, noticed a large two story edition on the NE corner of their building that you cannot see on the show. So this may be where the set is located.

sweetolbob
06-02-2017, 04:26 PM
What in the world?

Where did I say anything inre American Pickers having store front filming sets?

What I did say was that due to NV privacy laws, Pawn Stars is filmed on a set, not in their store.

When I googled earthed their location, noticed a large two story edition on the NE corner of their building that you cannot see on the show. So this may be where the set is located.

My bad, hit the wrong quote. Sorry!!

Filmed on a set? As an Architect I always thought the store looks a lot bigger inside than outside. So, yeah, a set makes a lot of sense. was what I was attempting to answer. Bob

06-02-2017, 08:07 PM
I enjoy both Pickers and Antique Road Show. The Pickers have made a local stop in my area, and I've heard nothing but good about how the visit and filming went. Of course, I don't watch these shows with the scrutiny of a Concourse Level Judge. They are one of the few things that "take me away" on TV today. I have enough nitpicking and scrutiny every day in my real job. I realize the shows are produced and edited for flow and entertainment. I don't take the values given on either as gospel. But, it sure is funny when the pickers fall through a second floor or stir up a bee hive. And, anyone who works with the public can wholeheartedly identify with the personality quirks the Pickers run into.

The Pickers are coming back to this area. My daughters wanted me to volunteer to have the Pickers out to my barn. I don't have enough for a 15 minute segment. But the fact 20 somethings think the show is cool tells me they are doing something right.

52 Ragtop
06-02-2017, 09:46 PM
They must have just started "filming on a set" as we stopped by the shop a few years ago, The film crew WAS in the shop, as well as the old man. A couple that had just been married was in there, and the old man posed for a picture with them. When the flash went off the producer went ballistic! The old man said, "This is my shop, shut the f@@k up, I'll do what I want"

It was pretty funny, since the producer said nothing back!

Jim

GrumpyOne
06-02-2017, 11:56 PM
I've been to the 'Gold & Silver Pawn Shop' on Las Vegas Blvd where the show is filmed.......Interesting experience! :!!:

I visited the pawn shop in March of 2015 and bought an "Old Man" T-shirt as he is the only one on the show that matches my personality. It was a short walk from old downtown where I was staying at the El Cortez...

WinM1895
06-03-2017, 12:04 AM
They must have just started "filming on a set" as we stopped by the shop a few years ago, The film crew WAS in the shop, as well as the old man. A couple that had just been married was in there, and the old man posed for a picture with them. When the flash went off the producer went ballistic! The old man said, "This is my shop, shut the f@@k up, I'll do what I want"

Jim
A film crew may have been in the shop, but were they filming in the shop?

If you read about Pawn Stars online (A&E, wiki wiki, etc.), this is one a the sources that said because of NV privacy laws, they film on a set.

The other source is a friend of mine who lives in Vegas and knows Rick personally.

GrumpyOne
06-03-2017, 12:06 AM

Jim

The old man supposedly retired from the Navy as an E-6 which would indicate that he was busted probably more than once and was a bad boy. Most military retirees are E-7 or above,

Even as cranky that I am, (and was), I attained E-5 status in less than three years...

WinM1895
06-03-2017, 12:23 AM
The old man supposedly retired from the Navy as an E-6 which would indicate that he was busted probably more than once and was a bad boy. Most military retirees are E-7 or above,

Even as cranky that I am, (and was), I attained E-5 status in less than three years...
I've kinda forgotten (haven't been in the USN since '62), is this correct? E6 would be a first class petty officer.

Old Man is 3 years older than I, was born in 1941. Serving in the military during peacetime, the advancement could be very slow.

I'm reading a book titled The Generals, it's about the military careers of MacArthur, Marshall and Patton.

Despite serving in WWI, all 3 took nearly 20 years to advance from Colonel to Major General.

t walgamuth
06-03-2017, 10:53 AM

Jim

Yeah, he'd say that!;)