Insurance help - looking for information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance help - looking for information

So , I have been with Hagerty for 10 years and they have served me well. However the bill just keeps going up($798). This ids for 4 vehicles. I called American Modern and there insurance is ¼ the price($223) for about the same covered. Does anyone have experience with this company? Good, bad otherwise. Any other companies that serve you well that I should call? I have compared as close to apples to apples I could on coverage.
    Jim
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

I have had American Modern under Heacock classic insurance since 2009 and haven't seen any unreasonable rise in premiums. They offer the same features and coverage as the other classic companies and are easy to do business with. I have three vehicles with full coverage and agreed value for $288.00 a year. You can reach them at Heacock Classic Insurance, PO box 7788, Sebring Florida, 33872 or phone (800) 678-5173.

Comment

I've been with American Collectors Insurance for many years and been happy with their cost and coverage. AmericanCollectors.com

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I've had my classic car insured with JC Taylor for 30 years.

Declared value $10,000. $300,000 liability.

Annual premium $100.

Hasn't changed in 30 years.

Comment

Have had JC Taylor for 40 years. Now have 10 vehicles on the policy for about $700 (can't check the amount right now). Can't remember when/if they ever increased the cost, except when I finished a restoration and increased the value of a vehicle.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

My experience with J.C. Taylor is about the same. 40 years with essentially little or no increase in premiums. It's around $850 for ten cars. I have never made a claim with them, so maybe that helps.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Understand that the quality of what you purchase depends on its value when you use it. And that ANY insurance company wants to receive your premiums without ever having to satisfy a claim. I would ask for feedback only from those who have actually had to file claims.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

How about the guy who has handled claims for Hagerty, Grundy and American Modern. My experience with American Modern was....meh. Someone who 600 miles away decided it was better to repair a deck lid that was hammered than to replace it for a reasonable price. This was on a '71 Plymouth GTX. I wasn't impressed. $200 per car for one year seems reasonable.

I never had a problem with either Hagerty or Grundy. They both do not have a mileage limitation. I have my two projects insured with Hagerty. I think the customer service is just a little bit better. But that is just me...
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
                  I have had American Modern under Heacock classic insurance since 2009 and haven't seen any unreasonable rise in premiums. They offer the same features and coverage as the other classic companies and are easy to do business with. I have three vehicles with full coverage and agreed value for $288.00 a year. You can reach them at Heacock Classic Insurance, PO box 7788, Sebring Florida, 33872 or phone (800) 678-5173.
                  i have been with Heacock for more than ten years and agree no insane increases. Every time I get a Hagarty quote they are way off. The year of your vehicle can make big differences. The newer the more pricey.
                  Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                  Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Somebody has to pay for all the ads and sponsorship Hagerty does. Great for the hobby, but the money comes from somewhere.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

insurance companies vary by state. in NC when i had the '40 Champion, i had Infinity that was handled by a local insurance agent. it was $111 per year. however many policies have restrictions such as: parked in a locked secure building, a mileage restriction, only driving to car shows, etc.

on the '51, i changed over to my State Farm policy that my "daily driver" is on. the premium went up a bit ($21 a month), but with a multiple car discount, the ability to park/drive her anytime/anywhere, no mileage restriction and a agreed value, it has worked out well.
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
                        So , I have been with Hagerty for 10 years and they have served me well. However the bill just keeps going up($798). This ids for 4 vehicles. I called American Modern and there insurance is ¼ the price($223) for about the same covered. Does anyone have experience with this company? Good, bad otherwise. Any other companies that serve you well that I should call? I have compared as close to apples to apples I could on coverage.
                        Jim
                        I don't consider 4 vehicles @ $798.00 too much. 2004/2009: I had 6 vehicles* insured with Hagerty, the yearly fee for all of them was less than 500 bucks.

*(2) 1963 Galaxie 500XL's; 62V-K6 (frame off resto performed for an SDC member in VA by another SDC member who owned a body shop); 63V-K6 (one of two pre-production R2 Super Hawks); a mostly original, but somewhat ratty 1939 Packard 1703 Super 8; 1965 F100 8' Styleside pickup (bought it new, sold it, then bought it back 14 years later, did a full resto on it).
                        Last edited by WinM1895; 06-02-2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I have had J.C. Taylor since 1985. Great Rates but have never had to file a claim. They also buy an ad in our local Chapter Newsletter.
                          Neil Thornton

Comment

I have gotten quotes from American Modern and Heacock. They were $223 and $196 for 4 cars respectively. Yes 1000 mile restriction but I do not drive much more than that a year. That is $600 a year less. Hagerty does have good service. 2 of the cars are under restoration.
                            51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
                            53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
                            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I've had American Collectors for about ten or twelve years, referred to them by USAA (the insurer of current and former military members). No premium hikes, ever. Especially now that there are no more Intercity Lines trucks unloading here. No experience with claims.
                              Gil Zimmerman
                              Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                              1956 Golden Hawk
                              1958 Packard Hawk
                              1958 President
                              1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Working...
                              X