PDA

View Full Version : Insurance help - looking for information

lelshaddai
05-31-2017, 02:46 PM
So , I have been with Hagerty for 10 years and they have served me well. However the bill just keeps going up($798). This ids for 4 vehicles. I called American Modern and there insurance is ¼ the price($223) for about the same covered. Does anyone have experience with this company? Good, bad otherwise. Any other companies that serve you well that I should call? I have compared as close to apples to apples I could on coverage.
Jim

E. Davis
05-31-2017, 04:34 PM
I have had American Modern under Heacock classic insurance since 2009 and haven't seen any unreasonable rise in premiums. They offer the same features and coverage as the other classic companies and are easy to do business with. I have three vehicles with full coverage and agreed value for $288.00 a year. You can reach them at Heacock Classic Insurance, PO box 7788, Sebring Florida, 33872 or phone (800) 678-5173.

PackardV8
05-31-2017, 04:38 PM
I've been with American Collectors Insurance for many years and been happy with their cost and coverage. AmericanCollectors.com

jack vines

jnormanh
05-31-2017, 05:01 PM
I've had my classic car insured with JC Taylor for 30 years.

Declared value $10,000. $300,000 liability.

Annual premium $100.

Hasn't changed in 30 years.

Skip Lackie
05-31-2017, 05:15 PM
Have had JC Taylor for 40 years. Now have 10 vehicles on the policy for about $700 (can't check the amount right now). Can't remember when/if they ever increased the cost, except when I finished a restoration and increased the value of a vehicle.

RadioRoy
05-31-2017, 05:20 PM
My experience with J.C. Taylor is about the same. 40 years with essentially little or no increase in premiums. It's around $850 for ten cars. I have never made a claim with them, so maybe that helps.

rockne10
05-31-2017, 08:00 PM
Understand that the quality of what you purchase depends on its value when you use it. And that ANY insurance company wants to receive your premiums without ever having to satisfy a claim. I would ask for feedback only from those who have actually had to file claims.

Swifster
05-31-2017, 08:47 PM
How about the guy who has handled claims for Hagerty, Grundy and American Modern. My experience with American Modern was....meh. Someone who 600 miles away decided it was better to repair a deck lid that was hammered than to replace it for a reasonable price. This was on a '71 Plymouth GTX. I wasn't impressed. $200 per car for one year seems reasonable.

I never had a problem with either Hagerty or Grundy. They both do not have a mileage limitation. I have my two projects insured with Hagerty. I think the customer service is just a little bit better. But that is just me...

Silverplate
05-31-2017, 08:49 PM
I have had American Modern under Heacock classic insurance since 2009 and haven't seen any unreasonable rise in premiums. They offer the same features and coverage as the other classic companies and are easy to do business with. I have three vehicles with full coverage and agreed value for $288.00 a year. You can reach them at Heacock Classic Insurance, PO box 7788, Sebring Florida, 33872 or phone (800) 678-5173.

i have been with Heacock for more than ten years and agree no insane increases. Every time I get a Hagarty quote they are way off. The year of your vehicle can make big differences. The newer the more pricey.

kurtruk
05-31-2017, 11:42 PM
Somebody has to pay for all the ads and sponsorship Hagerty does. Great for the hobby, but the money comes from somewhere.

Corvanti
06-02-2017, 02:52 PM
insurance companies vary by state. in NC when i had the '40 Champion, i had Infinity that was handled by a local insurance agent. it was $111 per year. however many policies have restrictions such as: parked in a locked secure building, a mileage restriction, only driving to car shows, etc.

on the '51, i changed over to my State Farm policy that my "daily driver" is on. the premium went up a bit ($21 a month), but with a multiple car discount, the ability to park/drive her anytime/anywhere, no mileage restriction and a agreed value, it has worked out well.

WinM1895
06-02-2017, 03:04 PM
So , I have been with Hagerty for 10 years and they have served me well. However the bill just keeps going up($798). This ids for 4 vehicles. I called American Modern and there insurance is ¼ the price($223) for about the same covered. Does anyone have experience with this company? Good, bad otherwise. Any other companies that serve you well that I should call? I have compared as close to apples to apples I could on coverage.
Jim
I don't consider 4 vehicles @ $798.00 too much. 2004/2009: I had 6 vehicles* insured with Hagerty, the yearly fee for all of them was less than 500 bucks.

*(2) 1963 Galaxie 500XL's; 62V-K6 (frame off resto performed for an SDC member in VA by another SDC member who owned a body shop); 63V-K6 (one of two pre-production R2 Super Hawks); a mostly original, but somewhat ratty 1939 Packard 1703 Super 8; 1965 F100 8' Styleside pickup (bought it new, sold it, then bought it back 14 years later, did a full resto on it).

rockinhawk
06-04-2017, 08:34 AM
I have had J.C. Taylor since 1985. Great Rates but have never had to file a claim. They also buy an ad in our local Chapter Newsletter.

lelshaddai
06-07-2017, 01:21 AM
I have gotten quotes from American Modern and Heacock. They were $223 and $196 for 4 cars respectively. Yes 1000 mile restriction but I do not drive much more than that a year. That is $600 a year less. Hagerty does have good service. 2 of the cars are under restoration.

riversidevw
06-07-2017, 03:29 PM
I've had American Collectors for about ten or twelve years, referred to them by USAA (the insurer of current and former military members). No premium hikes, ever. Especially now that there are no more Intercity Lines trucks unloading here. No experience with claims.

lelshaddai
06-07-2017, 04:15 PM
So. I now have quotes from 5 firms. 4 cars , values range from 5000-20000
Hagerty - $798 - towing up to 150 miles
Heacock - $196 - 1000 miles/year, $200/ towing incident, $5000 medical
American Modern - $223 - 1000/miles , $200 towing/incident
American Classic - $340/year. 5000 medical, $200 towing
JC Tayor - $450 - Really poor customer service, Will not insure cars under restoration or rusty, 50 mile towing, only allowed 3 tows/year, $1000 medical

I have have a couple of glass with Hagerty, all good experiences, any onr have a claim through American Modern?

E. Davis
06-07-2017, 05:09 PM
My policy with Heacock has a mileage tier of 3000 miles a year which I never reach. The 1000 mile limit must be an option or something new. Never had a claim and hope I don't.

tim333
09-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Reopened a claim with Hagerty that closed in January. Original claim was for left side wheels bent from hitting something on the interstate. Found damage to left rocker when car in for restorative paintwork this past week, estimate of $935 authorized with no hassle whatsoever.

lumpy
09-11-2017, 10:40 PM
always look at the hassle involved after an accident. A very close friend of mine owns a high end restoration - hot rod shop here in so cal. Not all insurance company's are willing to pay the going rate for classic car repairs:( . The cut rate guy's only want to pay $55 an hour. Good luck with that at a reputable shop.

JoeHall
09-11-2017, 11:04 PM
I have been with Taylor for maybe 10 years now, and before with Grundy, IIRC. I paid about $440 annual premium last time due, for three Hawks. It goes up a bit each year, but not much. No claims, ever (knock wood).

thunderations
09-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Been with Haggerty for many years with many cars. Rates are fair and unlimited mileage is a big plus. Had J C Taylor prior and if using the car for an out of state event and driving it, needed to get special permission or get reprimanded for too many miles in a year. Had a windshield claim and was handled very well.
Haggerty has also handled a windshield claim on the 66 Daytona, but was a little bit of a hassle. Money wasn't the problem, it was logistics and responsibility.
National agents, the ones you get when using the 800 claim number, ask that the policy owner find a local company to do the work and they would send the glass to them. Did that and the company broke the windshield during installation. When that was disclosed to the agent, he explained that they were not responsible because I had picked the glass company. Had to contact a local Haggerty agent and explain that situation and that I should never have been involved in the selection process. They took over from there and within a week another windshield was shipped from the east coast and installed at my house. Moral of the story: let the local agent earn their money and do the work. The customers job is to pay the premiums and be treated with respect. Heard later that the glass company that broke the windshield was sued for the price of the glass and shipping, nearly $1000. Don't know what the result of that was and don't care.

Lynn
09-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Unlimited mileage is not a plus at all in my situation. I believe it would be for some others.

I have seven cars with American Modern through MK Insurance Co. Outstanding customer service as far as writing up my policies. I agree that all cars will be kept in a locked garage at night. I can even drive any one of them to work twice a week, which does happen from time to time with my old factory turbocharged Bimmer. I can choose the mileage limit which in my case varies from 1,000 miles per year up to 6000 miles per year. If I change my mind on the mileage limit for any particular car, I can up that at any time. I have not had a claim with them, and hopefull, I never do. I have corresponded with others who did, and reported no issues at all. It is agreed value coverage. If one of my cars is stolen (not likely because of where they are kept, but still, could happen) I get the value we agreed to.

http://www.mkinsuranceagency.com/

JRoberts
09-12-2017, 09:18 PM
As I said earlier I have always used Hagarty for my older vehicles (once I learned the savings in doing that). I was at an International Meet a while back and stopped by the JC Taylor to get a comparison cost. The rep there said they could not insure vehicles in North Carolina.