1925 Special Six Sedan Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1925 Special Six Sedan Help

Hello Studebaker enthusiasts! I recently bought a '25 Special Six Sedan. The body and interior are in good condition to where it is a serious debate about keeping it original and not touching the way the Studebaker workers made it 92 years ago. It's all seems very tight and well taken care of. The engine ( however )... Yikes! It was removed around 1952, partially disassembled and left to take a dirt nap for 60 years. Could you folks help me find or let me know who might have a second engine complete, or good for parts that I'm missing? ( vertical generator, distributor assembly, oil pump, and other odds and ends--- )?

I was told that the Special Six with the slightly smaller bore is harder to find. It's a great looking, big sedan--- It makes my 1915 Overland 80 touring car look small beside it, and the front seat of the Overland sits you above most 1/2 ton trucks on the road today. Am I better off looking for a more common Big Six engine? My guess is they bolt in the same on the car engine frame, same clutch and brake linkages too. I hope to get it running soon. All help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Welcome to the forum! If you are not a member of the Antique Studebaker Drivers Club be sure to join. They are a great resource for all Pre War Studebakers. Mr. Richard Quinn was the editor of the Review and could probably answer your questions in regards the engine.

Be sure to keep us update. It looks like you have a real jewel there.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Comment

By the way, does anyone know why Studebaker made the Special Six look distinctively different than the Big, or Standard Six? When I first saw it, I didn't recognize the straight angle hood line and tombstone radiator as a Studebaker. I'm sorry to say, but as a Studebaker neophyte- I first thought it was a Packard radiator and hood...but no, Special Six. The rounded radiators are what I think of usually for 1920s Studebaker. There must be a story behind the mid range car having that different look to it. IMHO the Special Six is the better looking style. Also, is the shade with dark tinted glass above the windshield a Studebaker factory accessory or was that added on later?

Comment

The earlier 1918 to 1923 Special Six models had the more traditional rounded radiator shell that was painted body color. In 1924, the design was changed to the a nickel plated radiator shell similar to Buick and Packard at the time. The 1925 models engine and transmission were redesigned with better strong crankshafts which resulted in the highest form of development for a smooth engine and they were carefully balanced at the factory. The 1925 and 1926 engines were 11-1/4 inches in length versus 10 inches for the earlier models. This also resulted in chassis changes to the car as well as transmission changes. Optional were the 4 wheel hydraulic brakes, and the wheelbase was increased 1 inch to 120 inches. The Special Six production ended in mid year 1926.

All this information is from the "Studebaker Story" by William Cannon and Fred Fox.

Does your car have the optional 4 wheel hydraulic brakes? It is my guess that the only engine that would work for your car is the 1925/26 engine.

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ

Comment

Hello Bob, you are correct on what I have gathered so far about the engine. 25/26 model years. It has the transmission that has the clutch housing integral to the transmission housing versus the earlier style with an entirely independent transmission box attached to the clutch output shaft with a flex disk. The brakes are all mechanical, no hydraulics at all ( of which I'm sort of grateful for, I've been reading a few blogs where some guys have quite a few troubles getting them in working order ). Courtesy of eBay I found a set of sales "cards" circa 1925/26. The one think I noted is that is has the nickel radiator shell, 25/26 engine & transmission, but seems like a slightly older body style with a more squared roof line. I'm a newbie to Studebakers and all I have say is wow! What a monster flathead engine in these cars. I will look for a copy of the book you referenced. I noticed many of the books focus more on post war Studebakers. As for me, I'm stuck before 1940 in my interest and mechanical knowledge... Give me a magneto to fix any day of the week over an epoxy coated hermetically sealed chunk with wires coming out of it for ignition. .

Comment

Here is a copy listed on the Phoenix Craigslist.

Don't know what shipping would be but slow boat book rate would take two weeks. Thinking book weighs about 5-6 pounds. Mine is missing the dust jacket and it separating at the binding because I refer to it often.

Bob Miles
            Tucson AZ

Comment

As I recall the Antique Studebaker Club (ASC) doesn't have their own forum, however there is a Studebaker, Erskine & Rockne section on the AACA forum which is primarily used for pre-war cars.

The AACA forum can be found at this link (scroll down to the Studebaker section and post your request there, you will need to register to use the forum, but there is no cost and you don't need to join the AACA to use it): http://forums.aaca.org/
              Dan Peterson
              Montpelier, VT
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

I have a 1927 Big six engine and transmission for sale.
                Robert Kapteyn
                studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Try contacting one of the ASC members on this page. Especially Dave Thibeault or Rick Peterson. http://www.theantiquestudebakerclub....xroadsters.htm
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Working...
                  X