PDA

View Full Version : 1957 Golden Hawk need fins

studelyman
05-29-2017, 08:39 PM
I just traveled 400 miles to pickup a pair of 57 hawk fins only to find out there were from a 56 which mine came with 56 or Skyhawk fins.
Looking at pictures of 56 Golden Hawk they look pretty close to mine. When I bought it the person told me it was early 57. This is the one that I had to replace the roof which had the halo band up close to 1/4 window. I got the roof from Tom in South Bend and it had the correct holes back by the rear window
but now I'm stuck trying to find correct fins. Anyone hear of a early 57 having that combo halo band and 56 fins?? If someone knows of a pair of fins please let me know. Phone 804-668-2665 Rick

Scott
05-29-2017, 08:57 PM
It just dawned on me how strange it is to see someone wanting fins for a hawk. Hawks are birds.

studegary
05-29-2017, 10:24 PM
I just traveled 400 miles to pickup a pair of 57 hawk fins only to find out there were from a 56 which mine came with 56 or Skyhawk fins.
Looking at pictures of 56 Golden Hawk they look pretty close to mine. When I bought it the person told me it was early 57. This is the one that I had to replace the roof which had the halo band up close to 1/4 window. I got the roof from Tom in South Bend and it had the correct holes back by the rear window
but now I'm stuck trying to find correct fins. Anyone hear of a early 57 having that combo halo band and 56 fins?? If someone knows of a pair of fins please let me know. Phone 804-668-2665 Rick

I have never heard of a 1957 Golden Hawk built with 1956 Golden Hawk fins. All of the early sales literature and other materials for 1957 show the 1957 Golden Hawk fins.
You confuse the issue by mentioning "Skyhawk fins." Sky Hawks did not have fins.
What are the Serial Number and body number plate information of the Hawk that you have?

studelyman
05-30-2017, 10:37 AM
I came to the conclusion that someone has really changed, modified, screwed with this car and I have been trying to put it back to the original look of a 1957 Golden Hawk
since I changed the roof back to fit the halo band by the rear glass. It's just curious why it came with the halo band up by the 1/4 window but it is what it is and the only thing holding me back is the correct fins for a 1957 Golden Hawk so if someone knows where a pair is or if someone knows if they need the cutoff design of a Silver hawk let me know.

rkapteyn
05-30-2017, 10:49 AM
I would suggest that someone in your area that is familiar with 1956/57 Hawks looks at your car to see what you have, or post pictures.
Your posts are confusing in the area of fins.
All 1957 Hawks had the same metal fins.
Only the 1956 Golden Hawks had small fins made out of fiberglass.
None of the other 1956 Hawks had fins.
Where are you located in Indiana.

Scott
05-30-2017, 12:14 PM
That's not true, Bob. Silver Hawks and Golden Hawks in 1957 have different fins. The golden hawk fins were designed differently and have a point in front different than the silver hawks (personally I like the silver hawk fins better).
I would suggest that someone in your area that is familiar with 1956/57 Hawks looks at your car to see what you have, or post pictures.
Your posts are confusing in the area of fins.
All 1957 Hawks had the same metal fins.
Only the 1956 Golden Hawks had small fins made out of fiberglass.
None of the other 1956 Hawks had fins.
Where are you located in Indiana.

jg61hawk
05-30-2017, 01:25 PM
Page 110 Sheet Metal Section Stude International shows fins...I think they say Silver Hawk NOS.

64studeavanti
05-30-2017, 01:41 PM
If the roof is original, you started with a 55 speedster body. They have the halo close to the quarter windows. Can you post the serial number and body tag? That would help everyone know what you have.

studelyman
05-30-2017, 08:13 PM
I ran the numbers through Studebaker international and they sent me the sheet as to it being a 1957 Golden Hawk with the engine number which is correct.
I used to live Right outside South Bend In Chesterton Indiana and had some people come by to check on progress of restoration. At that time all sorts of suggestions
as to what happened came my way. Then I broke my neck and it was on the back burner until I moved to Virginia 2 years ago and have been working on it when I can.I hate to say this but someone might have taken the powertrain and put it in a Speedster body and changed tags which I know
never happened in the day. I will try to post before and after pix as soon as I can figure out how to do it.

studelyman
05-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Yes the Stude Int does show fins on page 110 but the listing is for 57-58 silver hawk, 1958 Deluxe hardtop, some 58's but if I look at the pictures the fins they show look like they come to a point out front which is what I'm looking for. I saw the listing before but never had a discussion with I think his name is Jim at Studebaker International. I will give them a call tomorrow or E-Mail him Thanks

rkapteyn
05-31-2017, 07:13 AM
That's not true, Bob. Silver Hawks and Golden Hawks in 1957 have different fins. The golden hawk fins were designed differently and have a point in front different than the silver hawks (personally I like the silver hawk fins better).
I should have said that the basic shape of the fins are the same.
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?101081-Just-confirming-all-57-61-Hawk-fins-are-steel-right&highlight=1957+Hawk+fins

drrotor
05-31-2017, 11:22 AM
1956 Sky Hawks do not have fins.
1956 Golden Hawks have small fiberglass fins.
1957 and 1958 Silver Hawks have tall steel fins that follow the line if the side molding all the way to the front.
1957 and 1958 Golden Hawks have tall steel fins that the bottom edge curves upwards at the front end of the fin.
You can trim down Silver Hawk fins to fit a Golden Hawk if you have a template or rubbing to compare to. You must also drill holes at the aft end of the Silver Hawk fins to mount the "Hashmarks" or "Chevrons" or what ever you want to call them-- they were only on '57-58 Golden Hawks. I have a home-made template for that purpose. It isn't easy to get them just right. 6449564496I installed them on my Silver Hawk. The dark green car is our '57 Silver Hawk. The light green car is our '56 Golden Hawk.
'59-'61 fins are yet again different at the front end.