Hulk Smash R1 F4 Green Mist 63V-34748

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hulk Smash R1 F4 Green Mist 63V-34748

As some may know, I picked this R1 F4 Green Mist up a couple years back..

When it arrived, I was excited, yet soon to realize, "It was time to make lemonade!"

I've also been torn as to what to do with the car. Make it another 61 Convertible to my likings or Stick with the program..

I asked the "Oracle" if Green Mist was that rare for an F4 Regal and having a JT(S) engine. As the clouds billowed, a lighting bolt inscribed on a old 61 hood of mine, "There were 3 R2 Green Mist, and 3 R1 Green Mist F4 Regals!"

So, now my path was clear.. Keep it 100% original..

As I pondered a good name for it, Thinking something along the lines of, "Its not easy being green," or "Green and mean!"
    Green and mean wins, and "Hulk Smash" it is..

Here you see it spending some quality time with its F4 Blue Mist Cousin, "The Whistler."

While getting a basket of lemons, it still had some nice R1 car parts with it..

Last edited by SScopelli; 05-30-2017, 09:38 AM.

No need to bore you with the tear down, but when it was done, here it is..

This will be done in the same small garage i di the 61 in.. So I need to maximize space and the ability to move it around to get that space..

Now if I need my garage back, its pretty easy..

Ok, I know I said 100%, but isn't +100% better?

From here i started to weld up the frame, to give it maybe a bit more rigidity

And since Im breathing C75, I said "why not?"

I could never understand why the Lark did not use the same bars as the Hawk and Avanti..

But, Lark they are..

With the frame all welded up and the suspension and frame parts cleaned up and organized by color,
    It's off to the powder coating..

Mid first week of June it is said to be done..
    Last edited by SScopelli; 11-10-2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Awesome!!!

Great to see the progress on it!

Craig

Comment

You have a nice project on your hands, I look forward to your progress. I see on your production order that your car was shipped to Carmichael California, which is where my 1963 GT Hawk was also shipped to.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Beautiful work, Seb; keep it up. Thanks for the updates. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            You have a nice project on your hands, I look forward to your progress. I see on your production order that your car was shipped to Carmichael California, which is where my 1963 GT Hawk was also shipped to.
            That dealer seems to have been a hot bed for R series '63 cars. Matt Frushour restored an early 63 Hawk with an R2 (I think it was the 3rd R2 Hawk off the line) that was sold new at that dealer. Matt had the original dealer plaque/decal reproduced, not sure if he has any left.

And Lanny Bertram's '63 Lark two door sedan with R2 that was sold there new as well.

Cool to see another one come to light.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
              That dealer seems to have been a hot bed for R series '63 cars. Matt Frushour restored an early 63 Hawk with an R2 (I think it was the 3rd R2 Hawk off the line) that was sold new at that dealer. Matt had the original dealer plaque/decal reproduced, not sure if he has any left.

And Lanny Bertram's '63 Lark two door sedan with R2 that was sold there new as well.
              It makes one wonder who sold more; the dealer in Carmichael, or Ray Tanner Motors. There are a number of examples from both dealers around.

Craig

Comment

Wow it will be good to see the rest of the bulk smash out of my back yard .When he gets going on it you will be seeing lots of pix and my wife will be thankful that one less car to push on lawn day.

Comment

How about the name Green Hornet? It looks like a butterfly but stings like a Hornet

Bob Miles
                  Tucson AZ

Comment

Thanks for the post. I'll be starting a frame off restore and learn a lot by seeing what others are doing.

-- Scott
                    64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

Spring Help.

Going to pick up the frame today..

Digging around at Chucks last month, I came across two sets of NOS springs.

526134 and 526130, from the parts manual in the JTS section, I don't see these numbers, yet on the forum they say these are Avanti HD springs.

Id rather the car have a slight nose down rake. Would the 526134 be usable for this Lark? I also have the aluminum spacers, use or don't use?

Comment

Nose down looks mean as long as there are no alignment issues.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

We had Eaton Spring make our R2 Lark springs and they did an outstanding job. They have all measurements and arching specs for all cars

Comment

Some Assembly Required

After a weekend at Chucks, it was time to set up the frame and organize a bit of the pieces for the frame..

Did I say a bit of pieces? Hopefully I can remember where it all goes..
                            Last edited by SScopelli; 11-10-2017, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I do not know if you ever noticed, but in the restoration of the 61 Lark Convertible, all the original fasteners brackets and bobbles were cleaned, descaled, and plated.

That is quit the work to get the parts to a point where they can be plated.

I toiled with the idea of not doing the 63 to this extent, and then flipped 180 deg.. Why not gather enough parts for plating for three cars?

May have forgotten a few pics.. But ya get the point.

Like the 61, I feel it is really important in the restoration to use the original bolts with the "CP," Rockford," "TR" head-stamps. Character and a tribute to those place long replaced be CCC fasteners Co.

Total was a little over 205 lbs of parts and will be done in about two week. My son will enjoy the fact he gets to sort all of this out.

Why plating? well, it just looks nice and cuts down on the total weight instead of painting things.

The JT engine block also made its way to the machine shop to be clean, bored, decked and all the goodies..

Check back in 2 to 3 weeks when I get all this back an ready to make more progress.
                              Last edited by SScopelli; 01-17-2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X