Flight-O-Matic Selector Shaft Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Flight-O-Matic Selector Shaft Seal

I have developed a transmission seal leak on my 1957 Packard equipped with a BW type 35 Flight-O-Matic. The leak is coming from the the shift selector shaft.
    Looking at it from under the car it looks as if it comes apart from inside of transmission.
    Is this right?
    Ok I have read a little more about this repair. I'm a bit concerned about the detent ball and spring install and o ring seals in the valve body.
    Does any one have pictures of these in the transmission?
    Last edited by 57pack; 05-29-2017, 03:11 PM.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

You got that right, a pain but thats the way they were

Comment

They are difficult and costly to fix. The valve body has to be dropped out; that's why my '61 has been leaking for about 30 years.

Comment

The trans is a model BW 8/12 when you order a repair kit, model 35 has an aluminum case. The manual shaft seal and the throttle pressure shaft seal are the same as used in a ford C-6. I use a piece of 5/16 steel fuel line with a 90 degree bend in it to hold the check ball in position until you get the rooster comb in position. The 90 bend provides a little more leverage. Lou Cote

Comment

Make sure that your garage door is closed when you are working on this. That will limit how far you have to search for the detent ball when it goes flying. BTDT
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

Try this- works beautifully.
            Hold the Ball down with a steel rule at the holey end, push in the shaft over the top , then pull out the rule.
            Jim's advise on 'confining' the trajectory of the ball is very worthy, but if you use the method I'm showing here you ought not have a problem.
            Check out my blog on reconditioning a Flightomatic...http://studebakerflightomatic.blogspot.com.au/.
            Steve
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Steve Winzar; 06-01-2017, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dynolou2 View Post
              The trans is a model BW 8/12 when you order a repair kit, model 35 has an aluminum case.

The manual shaft seal and the throttle pressure shaft seal are the same as used in a ford C-6.

I use a piece of 5/16 steel fuel line with a 90 degree bend in it to hold the check ball in position until you get the rooster comb in position. The 90 bend provides a little more leverage. Lou Cote
              D5AZ-7B498-A (replaced C7AZ-7B498-A) .. C6 Manual Control Selector Lever Seal / Available from Ford - 1966-97 FoMoCo vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Winzar View Post
                Try this- works beautifully.
                Hold the Ball down with a steel rule at the holey end, push in the shaft over the top , then pull out the rule.
                Jim's advise on 'confining' the trajectory of the ball is very worthy, but if you use the method I'm showing here you ought not have a problem.
                Check out my blog on reconditioning a Flightomatic...http://studebakerflightomatic.blogspot.com.au/.
                Steve
                Thanks Steve! I checked your blog, very helpful! Thanks for the steel rule tip. Now waiting for seal to come in then I'll start to hunt around for a steel rule with a hole!
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                X