PDA

View Full Version : 1966 Daytona Sport with Hideaway headlights

Studeous
05-28-2017, 09:35 PM
I love the hideaway headlights on some late 60s cars. Especially the RS Camaros. Anyone want to photoshop a 66 Daytona with this option. I think it would look good if properly done.

8E45E
05-28-2017, 09:41 PM
We did here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?17909-Design-a-Post-66-Studebaker-Grille&styleid=1

Craig

Chris Pile
05-29-2017, 01:18 AM
I had forgotten there were so many good ideas in that thread. Why hasn't someone done some of them?

studeclunker
05-29-2017, 01:43 AM
There were a number of those 'hidden' headlamp ideas. I liked the look of the Ford and Lincoln designs. However they always seemed to have problems. like one of the doors would come up and the other wouldn't. We had a Country Squire that would wink all the time. One of the doors would drop and then come back up. I never did figure out what the issue was. I suspected a vacuum leak, however never could find it. After fighting it for several years, I just did what everyone else did. Tied the doors in the up position. In the end I grew to dislike that design and would never again have a car with it. All the makes that did this seemed to have some kind of issue with keeping it reliable. Probably why you don't see it anymore.

64V19816
05-29-2017, 09:31 AM
With all the admiring comments my '66 Daytona gets, I find it difficult to imagine any improvements. One "improvement" they made, the chromed taillight housings, in my opinion look really out of place. Lowering the side trim looks great, the "blackout" grill and headlight shells works too. Years ago, I worked with a guy who 'was' a GM sketch artist until drink got him. I gave him the small 1966 brochure and he redone the Daytona, working on the greenhouse area mostly. More tumble home, a bit more slant to the windshield and refiguring the rear window treatment. The result was a bit "AMC" like, but overall the redesign he done would have looked pretty good till the mid '70s. As to the factory 1966 grill, they realized 4 small grill panels cost less than one big one. The concept all "came together" when the modernized hawk emblem was placed in the middle. As to covered headlamps....ask anyone who has endured this when it didn't work right. I had a friend who got ticket after ticket for a balky TR7 headlight.

8E45E
05-29-2017, 09:36 AM
Years ago, I worked with a guy who 'was' a GM sketch artist until drink got him. I gave him the small 1966 brochure and he redone the Daytona, working on the greenhouse area mostly. More tumble home, a bit more slant to the windshield and refiguring the rear window treatment. The result was a bit "AMC" like, but overall the redesign he done would have looked pretty good till the mid '70s.

Here was Bob Marck's post-1966 proposals: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?41388-Bob-Marcks-At-Glendale

Craig

studegary
05-29-2017, 01:11 PM
I have owned some cars with headlights that had moving covers, also a couple with moving headlights - 1966 Dodge Charger and 1968 Buick Riviera GS. They were okay on those cars, but were just a styling trend of the time. I never had a problem with any of them. I owned the Charger with motorized headlights for nine years and 150K miles, so it was a good sampling.

SScopelli
05-29-2017, 09:28 PM
I have owned some cars with headlights that had moving covers, also a couple with moving headlights - 1966 Dodge Charger and 1968 Buick Riviera GS. They were okay on those cars, but were just a styling trend of the time. I never had a problem with any of them. I owned the Charger with motorized headlights for nine years and 150K miles, so it was a good sampling.

Popup headlights were on many 80's and early 90's cars.. These are 85's

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4269/34816402182_936dd16a7c_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/V3Baof)

While many 60's and 70's had vacuum servos to flip the doors, 80 seen the reintroduction using individual electric motor to roll them up or back..

Vacuum servos tended fail due to leaky diaphragm or lines.

76 Chrysler Imperial had one electric motor and a shaft that flip its eye lids..

Mike Sal
05-29-2017, 11:32 PM
Our '68 T-bird had hide away lights....Ours always worked ok, but the sequential tail lights didn't....
Mike Sal