PDA

View Full Version : Bird ID

studegary
05-27-2017, 05:53 PM
This afternoon, we saw a bird that we did not recognize. I spent a lot of time (too much) on Google references trying to determine what the bird is.

The bird was about the size and shape of a pigeon. It was about half white and half gold/tan with the colors being distributed in areas. This is in upstate New York. The bird was not bothered by humans, it walked right near to us (one foot away). I thought that it may have been someone's pet or a special bird because it had a blue band on its left leg. I didn't feel right about catching the bird to check the band. I do not have a picture and did not find a picture of a similar bird on Google.

There are many here that know more about birds than I do. Please help me in identifying this bird.

Bob Bryant
05-27-2017, 08:16 PM
Is there any possibility it could have been a racing or homing pigeon? The band suggests the possibility. As they are domesticated, they have a variety of colors/markings. The bird was not frightened by humans which also suggests it might have been. Sometimes their internal GPS fails them and they get off-course. In my younger days I came home late and a white bird with a band was on the sidewalk. I decided to leave it alone, unfortunately. In the morning there were just some feathers on the sidewalk.

tim333
05-27-2017, 10:58 PM
And I thought this thread was going to be about Hawks. This is a CAR forum is it not?

studegary
05-28-2017, 12:03 AM
And I thought this thread was going to be about Hawks. This is a CAR forum is it not?

Yes, and that is why this post is in the "Stove Huggers" section where we can post about anything else.

jclary
05-28-2017, 04:10 PM
There are various breeds of Pigeons. Some of the same breeds can have a variety of markings. Like the Roller pigeons pictured here.

https://images.craigslist.org/00n0n_9lX3bhEwniL_600x450.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
05-28-2017, 05:22 PM
New York Golden Pidgeon...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT61Yr7Qrw7b2vpdFbjlPUGbHlPfN81d0ZDJ73QQxsthvsf3yIUDg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ab/71/8d/ab718de217206396ac144cf32027046b.jpg

Milaca
05-29-2017, 06:13 PM
Not the type of bird you speak of, but a Grouse has been pestering me the last few days. I have been planting white pine tree seedlings thoughout the woods around my home and this same grouse keeps finding me and getting up close and personal with me. I make a hole in the ground, and as I attempt to place the seedling in the hole, the grouse lunges towards my hand as if it is trying to play with me! I've tried to chase it away, but it wont leave me alone! I guess it must be desperate for a friend. Strange but true.

58PackardWagon
06-08-2017, 11:40 PM
Too bad you didn't get a picture. In 1999 I saw a bird much larger than a black bird with a yellow head. I took a pic and sent it to the audubon society and they identified it. They were shocked to find that I lived in Minnesota as it was the first time this bird was found east of the Rockies.

studegary
06-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Too bad you didn't get a picture. In 1999 I saw a bird much larger than a black bird with a yellow head. I took a pic and sent it to the audubon society and they identified it. They were shocked to find that I lived in Minnesota as it was the first time this bird was found east of the Rockies.

Neither of us have seen this bird since that one afternoon.

Bordeaux Daytona
06-09-2017, 02:35 PM
Not the type of bird you speak of, but a Grouse has been pestering me the last few days. I have been planting white pine tree seedlings thoughout the woods around my home and this same grouse keeps finding me and getting up close and personal with me. I make a hole in the ground, and as I attempt to place the seedling in the hole, the grouse lunges towards my hand as if it is trying to play with me! I've tried to chase it away, but it wont leave me alone! I guess it must be desperate for a friend. Strange but true.

Sorry, I couldn't help but think of this:lol:.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGZiTQS-lEc