Tri star license plate frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tri star license plate frame

I have a license plate frame I believe is from the early 50s. The frame came with a local San Francisco 55 Studebaker that I had several years ago. Can anybody confirm if this is a factory or dealer item? And what kind of price should I ask for this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3072.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1754072Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3073.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1754073 thanks, Nick

I would suspect it's a 1953 item, since the factory stopped using the tri-star that year. Probably available to dealers, who might have mounted them on any later year.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I had one of those for a while. Sold it easily on ebay but don't know the price any more. Put it on ebay and it will sell at market price.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by Poppicat View Post
        I have a license plate frame I believe is from the early 50s. The frame came with a local San Francisco 55 Studebaker that I had several years ago. Can anybody confirm if this is a factory or dealer item? And what kind of price should I ask for this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]64455[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64456[/ATTACH] thanks, Nick
        That is called a Strato-Styled license plate frame. It is shown in the 1953 Accessories book and in John Bridges book. The original selling price was $5.95. I bought a NOS one a number of years ago and paid $100 for it. If yours is mint, you should be able to do very well on eBay.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Given that 1953 US plates were of various sizes, if you decide to sell it, make sure you describe its dimensions. It will not fit all state's plates.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

It should be mentioned that the 1953 license plate frame (as ID'd by Paul) came with a "...clear plastic window..."
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Please let us know if you list it.
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I will post here also if I list it on eBay. It's in very nice shape, should clean up very well. I may even have the plastic that came with it. Thank you for all the info!

Comment

I've just listed the "Strato-Styled" license plate frame. Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X