PDA

View Full Version : Greenville, PA Heritage Days Car Show, Saturday, July 1, 2017

Bill Pressler
05-27-2017, 09:06 AM
I'm promoting my old hometown's really nice old-car show on Saturday July 1. Last year there were around 500 cars registered, and I'm told a couple hundred more that weren't registered. It's a free show and has twice been rated by "Cruisin' Times" on their list of 'Ten Best Downtown Car Shows'.

The "official" show hours are 2-6 p.m. but you'd be smart to be there BEFORE noon to secure a place!

I plan on having my "new" '66 Cruiser there!

As has been done in past years, we'd like Studebakers to congregate at the far-east end of the show, at the intersection of Main St. and College Ave. in front of Shelly Memorials, the building which is owned by SDC members Harley and Darlene Cook. Main St. in Greenville is PA Route 358.

Greenville is in NW Pennsylvania and is a small town. The population of the town-proper is about 5,900 and the town is the home of Thiel College (founded 1866) and UPMC Horizon Hospital. Their Studebaker dealer was Carl E. Filer Co., which operated under one-family ownership from 1926-68.

The car show is along several blocks of Main Street.

Within 500 feet of where the Studes gather, is Greenville's smallish train museum, with a lot of memorabilia from Greenville's railroad days (hometown of Bessemer and Lake Erie railroad, and a stop on the Erie-Lackawanna mainline from Chicago to NYC). There is a steam locomotive there which you can walk up and sit inside. There are free shuttle rides between the Rail Museum, Historical Society, Erie Canal Museum, and events (crafters, etc.) in Riverside Park. Food vendors down the street in the town's 'Central Park', and a small café is directly across the street from where Studes congregate.

Hope to see you there. Questions, post here, PM me, or call Bill Pressler at 330-221-five-nine-zero-four.

Bill Pressler
05-27-2017, 09:38 AM
Apparently it will be filmed for the Lokar Car Show on the Velocity network. Honestly, I'm not familiar with that. :)

Here are some pics from the show there, from several years back. This was before we tried to keep the Studebakers together at the very east end of the show.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?23768-Greenville-PA-trip-on-Drive-Your-Studebaker-Day&highlight=Greenville%2C+car+show

BobPalma
05-27-2017, 07:08 PM
:) 'Good to hear of the Cruiser's GD (that would be Greenville Debut!), Bill.

I saw John Thompson today at Richard Poe's Studebaker Nationals & Orphan Drags and conveyed your happiness with the car to him in person. He was pleased that it is enjoying such an appreciative home and said "hello." :D :cool: BP

Bill Pressler
05-28-2017, 06:16 AM
:) 'Good to hear of the Cruiser's GD (that would be Greenville Debut!), Bill.

I saw John Thompson today at Richard Poe's Studebaker Nationals & Orphan Drags and conveyed your happiness with the car to him in person. He was pleased that it is enjoying such an appreciative home and said "hello." :D :cool: BP

Thanks, Bob. Sounds like you had more fun that at our house! Shannon was hit by a guy in her Cobalt, who then proceeded to take off! A Good Samaritan followed him, and he returned. Shannon has a fractured wrist, although fairly straightforward, and is in a cast. Police tell me the guy will be charged with failure to yield and leaving the scene. He was probably 50! Full-size recent GMC pickup.

Shannon's '09 Cobalt, I think might be a goner. Both air bags came out, coolant all over the road, etc. We'll see.

studegary
05-28-2017, 10:37 AM
Sorry to hear this bad news. I assume that Shannon is your daughter. I wish her a speedy recovery.
With enough damage that the air bags went off (and the cost of air bags), I would guess that the Cobalt will be declared a total loss, on dollar value if not repairability.
How did you make out with your ignition key. I don't remember reading closure on that one?

Bill Pressler
05-28-2017, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear this bad news. I assume that Shannon is your daughter. I wish her a speedy recovery.
With enough damage that the air bags went off (and the cost of air bags), I would guess that the Cobalt will be declared a total loss, on dollar value if not repairability.
How did you make out with your ignition key. I don't remember reading closure on that one?

Hi Gary. Thanks for your kind words. I am expecting a total on the car, but it could have been a lot worse of course.

The Cruiser's ignition key seems to go in and out easier now, thanks to the age-old graphite trick! :)

HAWK64
05-29-2017, 01:54 AM
Bill, they were great photos of the R1 Daytona Skytop when you still owned it. I passed your link on to Gordon Hamilton who now owns that Studebaker here in Melbourne. I'm sure he will enjoy the images from a few years ago.

Bill Pressler
05-31-2017, 08:24 PM
Bill, they were great photos of the R1 Daytona Skytop when you still owned it. I passed your link on to Gordon Hamilton who now owns that Studebaker here in Melbourne. I'm sure he will enjoy the images from a few years ago.

Thanks, Jim. That sharp red '63 Wagonaire in those photos, at the time was owned by the late John Wherry, a great fellow who used to post here as "JWW". The car is currently owned by Bob "Dusty" Wagner, whom I think lurks here. :)

Bill Pressler
06-16-2017, 07:02 AM
Bumping this up as a friendly reminder for the car show! :)

Blue 15G
06-16-2017, 10:28 AM
I plan on being there Bill, as long as the weather cooperates. Come to think of it, I may go even if the weather *doesn't* cooperate. That was a very enjoyable show last year. Looking forward to seeing your new '66.

Dave Bonn

Bill Pressler
06-16-2017, 12:57 PM
I plan on being there Bill, as long as the weather cooperates. Come to think of it, I may go even if the weather *doesn't* cooperate. That was a very enjoyable show last year. Looking forward to seeing your new '66.

Dave Bonn

Thanks Dave, see you there! For me, it should be a bit less crazy than last year, as last year I had a class reunion that same weekend in Greenville, and I had to leave early Sunday to help my daughter move into her apartment in Columbus, OH!

I know I'm biased, but it really is a good show!

Bill Pressler
06-23-2017, 07:27 AM
Just bumping this thread! Hope to see some of you there! Questions, post here or call me at 330-221-five-nine-o-four.

Bill Pressler
06-26-2017, 08:16 AM
Another friendly bump. :)

BobPalma
06-30-2017, 08:03 AM
:) Is B-i-L Harley going to display the Sky Hawk in the Barn Finds area, Bill? :lol:

Enjoy the day showing off the new Cruiser. 'Wish it was closer, but our granddaughter Ellie's 4th Birthday Party is on Saturday, July 1 anyway. (Birthday was actually Tuesday the 27th but the party needs to be on a weekend when the other grandparents can come down and attend. :) Understandable.)

:!: Have fun and "hello" to all. :cool: BP

Bill Pressler
06-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Chance of showers and possibly thunderstorms both today and tomorrow. I'm going over today to join Filers (former Greenville Studebaker dealers who live in central Ohio now) for their annual Greenville Heritage Days old friends' dinner at the VFW! I won't be taking my Cruiser though, not with the weather forecast and me living this far away. I'm still hoping to see a lot of cars tomorrow. Seven hundred last year I'm told.

BobPalma
06-30-2017, 10:12 AM
Chance of showers and possibly thunderstorms both today and tomorrow. I won't be taking my Cruiser though, not with the weather forecast and me living this far away.

:eek: What? Any more of this nonsense and it'll be repossessed! :mad: :lol: ;) :cool: BP

Bill Pressler
06-30-2017, 10:14 AM
:eek: What? Any more of this nonsense and it'll be repossessed! :mad: :lol: ;) :cool: BP

LOL!

As you know, that car is just too bone-dry underneath to drive it through rain. ):

If I lived closer, and could get it put away when it looked like rain might approach, might be a different story!

We've had great weather there for as long as I can remember.

BobPalma
06-30-2017, 10:21 AM
LOL!

As you know, that car is just too bone-dry underneath to drive it through rain. ):

If I lived closer, and could get it put away when it looked like rain might approach, might be a different story!

We've had great weather there for as long as I can remember.

;) I just noticed a nice enclosed car trailer For Sale a couple miles south of Brownsburg this morning, Bill. The Chevy dealer could likely deliver you a new truck to come and get it in plenty of time, but you'd better get crackin'. :D BP

Bill Pressler
07-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Well, the show has come and gone. I would've loved to have taken my Cruiser, but there was actually flooding Friday night there, with 2 1/2 inches of rain in an hour! Saturday only sprinkled for a few seconds....I could've brought my car had I held off 'til Sat. but I'd have missed Friday night dinner hosted by the Filers, Greenville's former Studebaker dealers and that was fun. I'd have probably missed Saturday morning coffee with several of my former classmates as well.

We only had a total of four Studebakers in the show--a silver, beautiful rodded '53 coupe, Jim Wherry's beautiful Astra White with red interior '64 Daytona convertible (TW cover car, Feb. '93), Dave Bonn's very sharp dark-over-light-blue '53 Champion Starliner (Dave drove 70 miles each way to attend!), and George Vranich's stunning white over pale yellow '56 Golden Hawk.

Thanks to all who brought Studebakers. Joe Kastellac ("GT Joe" on this forum) drove his '70 Cadillac Coupe deVille down from Geneva, OH and it was a welcome sight at the show too.

As the day progressed, more and more folks seemed to bring cars out to the show. I haven't heard a number yet but I'd bet it was probably 500 cars.

I'll remind everybody about it next year. :)

G T Joe
07-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Bill we did have a great time at the show !!! almost like Chirstmas in July if your a car guy !, Talked to Bob Palma and yes we think you should get a enclosed Trailer and Bob is looking for the RIGHT Stude Truck to Tow it no more excuses ! LOL

studefan
07-02-2017, 07:14 PM
Bill, do you have any pictures of Dave Bonn's 54 (I think it's a 54, not 53, right?)?

Blue 15G
07-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Yes, my Studebaker is a '54. I took a couple of pictures but have not mastered the technical aspect of posting them here.

Bill warned me by private message and his above post that he wasn't going to bring his new '66 to the show, but I didn't see the messages before I went to Greenville. In over 20 years of ownership of the '54, I've only driven it in the rain twice, and both were within the last month. I got caught in a downpour while going to buy new tires for it last month, and then the Greenville trip. I drove on a lot of wet roads at first that day, but the weather improved a lot as the day went on. Hey, what's the worst that can happen driving your Studebaker in the rain, just some front fender rust :D.

So of course I was disappointed that Bill's '66 wasn't there, but hopefully I can see it at Summit in Ohio next month.

As for Greenville this year, the weather kept the attendance down somewhat but the turnout was still better than I expected, and I agree with Bill that it is a great show! Looking forward to next year's.

Bill Pressler
07-04-2017, 07:01 AM
Oops, I should know Dave's car is a '54!

Sadly, I haven't mastered putting photos here, either. Plus, my phone was as dead as dead could be Saturday.

My sister took pics of the cars, and a complete stranger on the Studebaker Addicts page on Facebook posted a ton of Greenville show pics and there are pics of Dave's beautiful Starliner there.

S2Deluxe
07-04-2017, 03:31 PM
Oops, I should know Dave's car is a '54!

Sadly, I haven't mastered putting photos here, either. Plus, my phone was as dead as dead could be Saturday.

My sister took pics of the cars, and a complete stranger on the Studebaker Addicts page on Facebook posted a ton of Greenville show pics and there are pics of Dave's beautiful Starliner there.

I think most of us would love to see anything at all, that could be posted here, as far as pictures go, if there is anyway that might be possible? Are there some here already, did I just miss them?

Mark

Blue 15G
07-06-2017, 12:31 PM
65408654096541065411See if these come through.

Lest anyone get too excited about seeing my '54, I appreciate the compliments but it would never hold up under any serious judging scrutiny. But it's a good Sunday drive car, and that's good enough for me. Beside it is Jim Wherry's (sp?) beautiful '64 Daytona Convertible.

studegary
07-06-2017, 01:32 PM
65408654096541065411See if these come through.

Lest anyone get too excited about seeing my '54, I appreciate the compliments but it would never hold up under any serious judging scrutiny. But it's a good Sunday drive car, and that's good enough for me. Beside it is Jim Wherry's (sp?) beautiful '64 Daytona Convertible.

By the looks of the car on the other side of yours, I guess that they accept quite recent cars. This contributes to the high total vehicle count that has been posted.

Blue 15G
07-06-2017, 03:37 PM
By the looks of the car on the other side of yours, I guess that they accept quite recent cars. This contributes to the high total vehicle count that has been posted.

Gary,
I hadn't thought about that, but now that you mention it there were a lot of recent cars at the show as well. The older vehicles are dominant, though. The Chrysler beside my '54 belongs to Bill Pressler's sister and brother in law. They told me they have a late '40s Champion Convertible that they were reluctant to bring to the show that day because of the predicted bad weather.
I just remembered also, for those who asked to see more pictures, just go to Google and type in "Greenville Heritage Days" and there are quite a few pictures of the car show from recent years. Not this year's show, but it gives a good idea of the usual scope of the event.

Bill Pressler
07-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Gary,
I hadn't thought about that, but now that you mention it there were a lot of recent cars at the show as well. The older vehicles are dominant, though. The Chrysler beside my '54 belongs to Bill Pressler's sister and brother in law. They told me they have a late '40s Champion Convertible that they were reluctant to bring to the show that day because of the predicted bad weather.
I just remembered also, for those who asked to see more pictures, just go to Google and type in "Greenville Heritage Days" and there are quite a few pictures of the car show from recent years. Not this year's show, but it gives a good idea of the usual scope of the event.

Also, many pictures here. I don't know if these are visible here though, to other folks. Can someone let me know if they can access the link? Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/heritagedayssupercruise/photos/ms.c.eJxFVkmOBDEI~_9GIHfL~;j40Kx~_lbWwSw2aqrNUVOnjaJmb9aPOOSPnaAVaJ8WqOAw7J8aiyB vezzN1P664dT7L7vjRf~_4tXm675YY~;OJP~;~;FfvOp9Yf7yLMvnzqM~;~;Grbr53X7v2w5svr7~;Gx v~_9D~_iT519rn6snHHo1me9Az9DesDtxfPk0qDcQr5V4lo~;feJoC7MT28ZFz42uDv17~_5uvvQT6oV 7x6taz~;3PdRG1~;txUe~;jfHP9s8P9Y5vPevWL2LxyMWmtnok2Y9Cv6ivcu3J~;k8iHvVOIh~;zF~;R y~;iJ89XTQf~_dFDvs50NesR239z1x9LrqY9Y9IxCMf1FtZ7~_~;nx1dv~;Sx3HqtoR~;~_K~;TPb~;h f52tn5LmW~_g34Y~_4H6B~_tv7vAP~_p~;lm0r~_A~;6Xr~_vuk5G~;7z7W4T46~_CX5xdazmvw8Nr~; F01tbv7j5HfN7OL9uyG~_sVxzUi~_8DfIV8A~;we3wKfp8fBl~;WN6o33cIIv58Fn65PMFzmwM37uPpg L8c5jcr48l99wnh35jPkc85r~_~_Bv0MH~;CXrRnA3OfsC~;y9kWR78XrrZcJ~_Z~_tb~_e7b419eftZ qAf3Df3W1~_9GfZX90EA~_6sH85Zu~;wj2cd68Rr67~;15FvPpX8BHqVeg7um3IfD~;bnzcPel2rel7T N73PzZ61~_Yfx09I~;8v1P~_2Tm~;6djvuPoT~_~_rUn7X~_NQ~;Dn~;3M3vtSnYy3eoX3J2fnX~;h9S eyLc19yZLEzf~_7~_ejE~_7oXwXiTmzTlvmeDDfc~_CfxLP1tN5b~;MgnzHf9~;3Vc~_bZdfF5erfexe 9fViA~_~_UytvVhv3E~;n~;Ux8j0Ve~;zG~;~;L6lYD55H1Khtx~;GvHCeUzdf~_8MHmPFs72~;z~;0M a~_By~_x~;fcnx4L9Ov8A6vbus4~-.bps.a.671500793053838.1073741833.275395899330998/671504433053474/?type=3&theater

Studedude
07-07-2017, 10:40 PM
Also, many pictures here. I don't know if these are visible here though, to other folks. Can someone let me know if they can access the link? Thanks!
Link works great!

S2Deluxe
07-07-2017, 10:44 PM

https://www.facebook.com/heritagedayssupercruise/photos/ms.c.eJxFVkmOBDEI~_9GIHfL~;j40Kx~_lbWwSw2aqrNUVOnjaJmb9aPOOSPnaAVaJ8WqOAw7J8aiyB vezzN1P664dT7L7vjRf~_4tXm675YY~;OJP~;~;FfvOp9Yf7yLMvnzqM~;~;Grbr53X7v2w5svr7~;Gx v~_9D~_iT519rn6snHHo1me9Az9DesDtxfPk0qDcQr5V4lo~;feJoC7MT28ZFz42uDv17~_5uvvQT6oV 7x6taz~;3PdRG1~;txUe~;jfHP9s8P9Y5vPevWL2LxyMWmtnok2Y9Cv6ivcu3J~;k8iHvVOIh~;zF~;R y~;iJ89XTQf~_dFDvs50NesR239z1x9LrqY9Y9IxCMf1FtZ7~_~;nx1dv~;Sx3HqtoR~;~_K~;TPb~;h f52tn5LmW~_g34Y~_4H6B~_tv7vAP~_p~;lm0r~_A~;6Xr~_vuk5G~;7z7W4T46~_CX5xdazmvw8Nr~; F01tbv7j5HfN7OL9uyG~_sVxzUi~_8DfIV8A~;we3wKfp8fBl~;WN6o33cIIv58Fn65PMFzmwM37uPpg L8c5jcr48l99wnh35jPkc85r~_~_Bv0MH~;CXrRnA3OfsC~;y9kWR78XrrZcJ~_Z~_tb~_e7b419eftZ qAf3Df3W1~_9GfZX90EA~_6sH85Zu~;wj2cd68Rr67~;15FvPpX8BHqVeg7um3IfD~;bnzcPel2rel7T N73PzZ61~_Yfx09I~;8v1P~_2Tm~;6djvuPoT~_~_rUn7X~_NQ~;Dn~;3M3vtSnYy3eoX3J2fnX~;h9S eyLc19yZLEzf~_7~_ejE~_7oXwXiTmzTlvmeDDfc~_CfxLP1tN5b~;MgnzHf9~;3Vc~_bZdfF5erfexe 9fViA~_~_UytvVhv3E~;n~;Ux8j0Ve~;zG~;~;L6lYD55H1Khtx~;GvHCeUzdf~_8MHmPFs72~;z~;0M a~_By~_x~;fcnx4L9Ov8A6vbus4~-.bps.a.671500793053838.1073741833.275395899330998/671504433053474/?type=3&theater

The link works fine for me. Although, I was hoping for more pictures with Studes in them?

Mark

Bill Pressler
07-08-2017, 07:05 AM
Here's a link from a fellow I've never met who told me he drove there. Nice thumbnails for easy scrolling down. This one includes George Vranich's beautiful '56 Golden Hawk, which arrived later in the day. BTW, the firethorn (sorta) '65 Satellite convertible in the one pic is my sixth grade teacher's car--she got it new as a college graduation present in 1965! She was originally from Merrick, NY but went to college near Greenville, met her husband and has lived in Greenville since.

https://www.facebook.com/john.paidas.1/media_set?set=a.1548255235249766.1073741842.100001959123852&type=3&pnref=story

There were only four Studebakers there--Dave Bonn's blue '54, Jim Wherry's white '64 convertible, George Vranich's yellow and white '56 Golden Hawk, and a '53 coupe modded up beautifully, that I have no idea who the owner is.

LarkTruck
08-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Just watched a Lokar sponsored program on Velocity. Not sure what year it was filmed, but they were at the Greenville Heritage Days Show. Very impressive venue, looks like we will have to add it to the bucket list!
JS

Bill Pressler
08-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Just watched a Lokar sponsored program on Velocity. Not sure what year it was filmed, but they were at the Greenville Heritage Days Show. Very impressive venue, looks like we will have to add it to the bucket list!
JS

That was this year, Jim! I couldn't find Velocity anywhere on our cable! A friend from there was pretty pleased his dark green '68 Mustang made the film!

The car turnout was down this year due to threatening weather which stayed away the day of the show, but it is a really nice show--and I know I'm prejudiced, but how can you beat a shady Main St. small-town car show with a BIG turnout? :)

Bill Pressler
08-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Here's the video from the Velocity TV channel this weekend, of the Greenville car show. Looks like someone copied it straight from their TV, LOL.

At about 50 seconds in is my brother-in-law's building, Shelly Memorials--big Victorian place with red and yellow painted trim up near the top. At about 1:00 you can see Dave Bonn's blue '54 Champion Starliner motor by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1iVdgcqbV8&feature=share&app=desktop