No announcement yet.

Hawk missing window part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Hawk missing window part?

Is there a part or seal missing here on my '63 Hawk?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1754068
    The window is nicely up in the weatherstripping all the way across the top, and yet there is still this opening that will let in water and/or cold air.

Yes. There is a small rubber piece that fits in the small gap by the phillips head screw in your photo. It appears that Studebaker called it a door window stop. The part number is 1343775. See item 2120-53 on page 163 of the '59-64 Studebaker Body Parts Catalog.

Dale
    Last edited by blackhawk; 05-25-2017, 07:34 PM.

Comment

A million thanks Dale!

Comment

Thanks for bringing up the question. Mine seem to be missing from both sides on my '62 GT too. But I wonder if the missing part in question should be P/N 304181, Liner, door window frame front guide, 2120-51-1?

The outer lip of my upper weatherstrip 2120-64, P/N 1347011 (driver's side) seems to cover the gap shown in your photo and the weather stripping doesn't show as much as yours. Could it be the door fit? I have a ΒΌ" gap between the top of my window frame in the full up position and the edge of the 2120-63 Upper Molding, P/N 1343915.

Bill

Name:	IMG_2019.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1713837

Originally posted by ColoradoHawk View Post
        Is there a part or seal missing here on my '63 Hawk?
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]64418[/ATTACH]
        The window is nicely up in the weatherstripping all the way across the top, and yet there is still this opening that will let in water and/or cold air.
        Bill L.
        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
          Thanks for bringing up the question. Mine seem to be missing from both sides on my '62 GT too. But I wonder if the missing part in question should be P/N 304181, Liner, door window frame front guide, 2120-51-1?

The outer lip of my upper weatherstrip 2120-64, P/N 1347011 (driver's side) seems to cover the gap shown in your photo and the weather stripping doesn't show as much as yours. Could it be the door fit? I have a ΒΌ" gap between the top of my window frame in the full up position and the edge of the 2120-63 Upper Molding, P/N 1343915.

Bill
          No, the missing pieces in these photos are small pieces of rubber about 1/4" square. I thought I could post a photo of them, since the ones on my '63 came loose years ago and I saved them. However, now I can't find them. I thought they were in the glove compartment, but they aren't. I do not remember what held them in place.

The difference that you are seeing in the fit of the top of the window frame to the rubber weather strip above it is probably due to how the door glass is adjusted. I managed to get the ones on my hawk fit properly, but they do work down a bit when driving the car. In fact, so do the small rear windows. I haven't tried to fix that problem yet. Of course, if the door is too low in the opening, one probably cannot get the glass high enough by just adjusting the window mechanism. I had the doors off my hawk after I got it in 1970 and it was a challenge getting them aligned correctly when I put them back on.

Dale

Comment

A closer look at the window parts shows that the large window frame has a T-shaped edge that rides inside the channel of the ventilator frame much like the rough sketch attached. Without some sort of liner (P/N 304181?) I have metal-to-metal contact. Something should be in the place of the cross-hatched area in the sketch to prevent this.

Name:	SCAN0003.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1713851
            Bill L.
            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Name:	64bodmp152.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1713855Click image for larger version

Name:	64bodmp163.jpg
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	1713856There is a flocked liner that crimps completely around the "T" section centering it in the vent window track.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                There is a flocked liner that crimps completely around the "T" section centering it in the vent window track.
                Thanks, Bezhawk. I did not know that liner existed. I went right out to the garage, flashlight in hand, to look for it. It is barely visible on my car. It must be very worn out because there is lots of space on both sides of the liner. I can't see how it can possibly center the "T" section in the track in it's present condition. I will have to see if the liner is still available or if something else can be made to serve the function. I wonder if the liners being worn out had anything to do with the little rubber stops coming loose and falling out?

Dale

Comment

Studebaker International has the part, 304181, on page 83 of the current catalog for $45.00 each.

Bill L.
                  Bill L.
                  1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
                    Studebaker International has the part, 304181, on page 83 of the current catalog for $45.00 each.

Bill L.
                    Thanks Bill.

Comment

Working...
                    X