This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Have I Done ??

Finally stepped up after just looking on e-Bay for several years. Just picked up from trasport and drove home a 62 Hawk GT I bought from a "classics" dealer in St. Louis, but from an original e-Bay ad.
    Had a 53 commander, 55 coupe and a 63 Lark in my formative years, and always longed for the GT I could never afford (probably learn I can not afford this one either).
    Am sure that I am in for an education. First basic question is fuel. Any tips - is it ok to burn unleaded regular (has original 289 and says 38k miles (wink, wink) but runs fairly well.
    Second question is keys - is ignition key also to open truck? I supect not, meaning I have a key hunt to solve that issue.
    Anyway,would appreciate any general advice for a new GT owner. Some of you are thinking "wish I knew he was out there so I could have picked him off! Anyway let the fun begin.
    LostYouth

Plain old unleaded is fine for normal driving. The ignition key will not work in the trunk lock. It's an entirely different key blank.

I also have a 1962 Hawk with the automatic transmission. Good luck with yours!
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Plain old unleaded is fine for normal driving. The ignition key will not work in the trunk lock. It's an entirely different key blank.

I also have a 1962 Hawk with the automatic transmission. Good luck with yours!
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Congrats on your purchase! My grandma has a '63 GT Hawk, and loves it. We're gonna redo it after my Daytona. They really are great cars! Great drivers and good performers too.

Comment

Congrats on your purchase! My grandma has a '63 GT Hawk, and loves it. We're gonna redo it after my Daytona. They really are great cars! Great drivers and good performers too.

Comment

quote:First basic question is fuel. Any tips - is it ok to burn unleaded regular (has original 289 and says 38k miles (wink, wink) but runs fairly well.
            Yes - but a qualified yes. Pull a spark plug and look at the piston top. If it's dished, then it's a standard 289 and you can run regular fuel. If it's flat - then you have an R-motor, and you need to post the head casting numbers. If it's an R1 then you have to feed it the good stuff. If an R2 missing the blower (I assume it is unblown as you did not mention a big orange whirly thing) then regular gas is also OK. Other tipoffs to the engine being an R-series engine would be the presence of a JT or R engine number for an R1, or JTS or RS for an R2. All R-motors would have chrome valve covers and a big breather pipe coming out the side of the oil pan, and also a modern appearing harmonic balancer instead of the usual flywheel-on-rubber damper behind the pulleys. But I would check the pistons to make sure because who knows what's happened inside an engine of this age.

quote:Second question is keys - is ignition key also to open truck? I supect not, meaning I have a key hunt to solve that issue.
            nope; trunk and glovebox are a separate key. Easiest solution would be to take the glovebox lock to a locksmith and have him make a key for it. You can practically open the trunk with any key blank that fits in, however. (good thing Studepeople are generally trustworthy!) Alternately you could order your build sheet and get the key codes from there.

good luck and congrats on the new toy,

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:First basic question is fuel. Any tips - is it ok to burn unleaded regular (has original 289 and says 38k miles (wink, wink) but runs fairly well.
              Yes - but a qualified yes. Pull a spark plug and look at the piston top. If it's dished, then it's a standard 289 and you can run regular fuel. If it's flat - then you have an R-motor, and you need to post the head casting numbers. If it's an R1 then you have to feed it the good stuff. If an R2 missing the blower (I assume it is unblown as you did not mention a big orange whirly thing) then regular gas is also OK. Other tipoffs to the engine being an R-series engine would be the presence of a JT or R engine number for an R1, or JTS or RS for an R2. All R-motors would have chrome valve covers and a big breather pipe coming out the side of the oil pan, and also a modern appearing harmonic balancer instead of the usual flywheel-on-rubber damper behind the pulleys. But I would check the pistons to make sure because who knows what's happened inside an engine of this age.

quote:Second question is keys - is ignition key also to open truck? I supect not, meaning I have a key hunt to solve that issue.
              nope; trunk and glovebox are a separate key. Easiest solution would be to take the glovebox lock to a locksmith and have him make a key for it. You can practically open the trunk with any key blank that fits in, however. (good thing Studepeople are generally trustworthy!) Alternately you could order your build sheet and get the key codes from there.

good luck and congrats on the new toy,

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Nate, you do know that an R engine wasn't available in '62... [)]

Comment

Nate, you do know that an R engine wasn't available in '62... [)]

Comment

you're right, Matthew, I just saw "GT Hawk" and didn't read too close. So if it really is the original engine there's zippy chance it's an R-motor unless it was rebuilt to R spec.

I've been hanging out with JP too much, about 50% of the GT's I've seen have R-motors

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

you're right, Matthew, I just saw "GT Hawk" and didn't read too close. So if it really is the original engine there's zippy chance it's an R-motor unless it was rebuilt to R spec.

I've been hanging out with JP too much, about 50% of the GT's I've seen have R-motors

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:I've been hanging out with JP too much, about 50% of the GT's I've seen have R-motors
                        You could't possibly be complaing... [] One of my dream cars is a '64 GT with an R4 and 4 speed... (Dream car, mind you. )

Comment

quote:I've been hanging out with JP too much, about 50% of the GT's I've seen have R-motors
                          You could't possibly be complaing... [] One of my dream cars is a '64 GT with an R4 and 4 speed... (Dream car, mind you. )

Comment

Complain, heck, I've joined the R-motor party! Love that idle, and the extra grunt is not unappreciated either.

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Complain, heck, I've joined the R-motor party! Love that idle, and the extra grunt is not unappreciated either.

nate

--
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                              X