PDA

View Full Version : Lexus Calipers???

Corley
05-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Just wondering here... I have a '97 Lexus SC400 that I only drive in short bursts of time, then I put it back up on blocks for several months. (I've got lot's of cars, and can't drive them all at once.) It seems half the time when I take it out, (mostly to get a new emissions test or take a trip), one of the rear calipers is stuck, and the brakes get hot and stink until I free the caliper up. I've replaced the calipers, but it still is happening. If I remove the caliper and free up the piston, then all goes well while I'm driving it, but after sitting a few months, they hang up again. I imagine these calipers are about the same as used on some other Toyota products, so I was wondering if this is a common problem, or if I'm just unlucky?

I bought that car off of eBay as a police drug seizure car, sight unseen, in '99. Got to say, that Lexus SC400 is a great driving car, very comfortable on trips, and other than the caliper issue it doesn't seem to mind sitting for months on end, it's always ready to go. The only reason I keep it is that it is such a nice car to drive, and I can't bare to give it up. I really should dump it, but just can't bring myself to do that, because it fits my back so well on long trips.

But, I don't care much for working on the brakes about once a year. Is this a common Toyota problem?

sweetolbob
05-24-2017, 12:03 PM
Google Lexus rear brake freeze, and you'll find it's seems a pretty common issue on sitting. In some cases a piston freezes and in others it's the pin the caliper slides on. I'll let you find the appropriate resolution from the posts.

Bob

8E45E
05-24-2017, 02:03 PM
Loose dog peeing on the tire??

Dog piss is acidic, you know!!!

Craig