Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker dealers--south-central Ontario

Hi all--

Trying to divine where the main Stude dealerships were in south-central Ontario, particularly around my hometown of Hamilton. Have run across refs to a dealer having been located on Brant Street in nearby Burlington, and also to Tim Horton Motors (an iconic name still, but in the world of coffee and doughnuts!) in Toronto. I was born in '65, so a bit too late to remember Stude dealers firsthand...

Cheers

Steve Tournay
    ('62 Lark six two-door, s/n 62SC 5285, built Hamilton Plant)

I don't know about where you live, but here I go to the library and get out the old city directories. They usually have things listed in alphabetical order, but sometimes have advertisements and businesses listed seperatly.

Old newspapers on microfilm are another source. Just scroll through issues an look a the advertisements.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

Comment

I don't know about where you live, but here I go to the library and get out the old city directories. They usually have things listed in alphabetical order, but sometimes have advertisements and businesses listed seperatly.

Old newspapers on microfilm are another source. Just scroll through issues an look a the advertisements.

Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Editor of "The Down Easterner"
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser

Comment

Steve , there was a Studebaker dealer in almost every town in the Niagara Peninsula and some even in Villages where you'd lest expect to see one. One village that comes into mind is Canfield. Don't know if you know of Canfield but it is about 20 miles south of Hamilton . The building that housed the dealership is still there and its no bigger then about a 2 car garage !
        happy hunting

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
        "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1950 2R5
        1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Steve , there was a Studebaker dealer in almost every town in the Niagara Peninsula and some even in Villages where you'd lest expect to see one. One village that comes into mind is Canfield. Don't know if you know of Canfield but it is about 20 miles south of Hamilton . The building that housed the dealership is still there and its no bigger then about a 2 car garage !
          happy hunting

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
          1960 Champ
          1964 Daytona HT
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Steve,
            I have a little printed promo listing entitled "SEE ALL THE EXCITING STUDEBAKER CARS AT YOUR LOCAL STUDEBAKER DEALER' which I guess was issued to promote Toronto, Ontario & immediate area dealers.

There are a total of 18 names & addresses and phone numbers...12 in Toronto proper and 6 in the immediate surrounding area...I can get you a copy if you want..

To Bob's point, they were everywhere!! Ontario could have had 50-75-100?? Who knows..Hey Steve, here's a good project for you over the rest of the winter!!

Regards
            Barry

Barry Leppan
            Burlington, Ont. Canada
            64 Daytona HT 5-spd
            64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/Powershift
            Barry Leppan
            Ontario, Canada
            64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
            GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

Steve,
              I have a little printed promo listing entitled "SEE ALL THE EXCITING STUDEBAKER CARS AT YOUR LOCAL STUDEBAKER DEALER' which I guess was issued to promote Toronto, Ontario & immediate area dealers.

There are a total of 18 names & addresses and phone numbers...12 in Toronto proper and 6 in the immediate surrounding area...I can get you a copy if you want..

To Bob's point, they were everywhere!! Ontario could have had 50-75-100?? Who knows..Hey Steve, here's a good project for you over the rest of the winter!!

Regards
              Barry

Barry Leppan
              Burlington, Ont. Canada
              64 Daytona HT 5-spd
              64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/Powershift
              Barry Leppan
              Ontario, Canada
              64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
              GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

I have the names and locations of about 25 dealers in Ontario plus at least one photo of each of these dealers. This is for the period around 1950. If interested contact me directly.

Richard Quinn
                editor: Antique Studebaker Review
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I have the names and locations of about 25 dealers in Ontario plus at least one photo of each of these dealers. This is for the period around 1950. If interested contact me directly.

Richard Quinn
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Since posting the reply above I received a few responses so have decided to copy my response to anyone who may have an interest.

This is not simply a listing of Ontario dealers. The source for this information is the August 1949 Overseas Edition of the dealer newspaper The Studebaker News. This publication is in a newspaper format and measures a large 11 X 15 1/2" and contains 24 pages. This particular edition is referred to as the "Canadian Issue." Twenty-two of the twenty-four pages are devoted to Canadian dealers, production etc. Eight of the pages and 52 photos show dealers in Ontario. It also has a centerfold showing production at the Hamilton plant with 22 photos. So, it isn't quite as simple as supplying a list. The pages could be copied but since I do not have a copier large enough to accommodate this size I would have to go to InstyPrint or Kinkos to have it done. I will be glad to do that if you are interested. If so get back to me and I will check on a cost for printing, postage etc.

I should also point out that this is the also 1950 model year introductory issue.

Richard Quinn
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Since posting the reply above I received a few responses so have decided to copy my response to anyone who may have an interest.

This is not simply a listing of Ontario dealers. The source for this information is the August 1949 Overseas Edition of the dealer newspaper The Studebaker News. This publication is in a newspaper format and measures a large 11 X 15 1/2" and contains 24 pages. This particular edition is referred to as the "Canadian Issue." Twenty-two of the twenty-four pages are devoted to Canadian dealers, production etc. Eight of the pages and 52 photos show dealers in Ontario. It also has a centerfold showing production at the Hamilton plant with 22 photos. So, it isn't quite as simple as supplying a list. The pages could be copied but since I do not have a copier large enough to accommodate this size I would have to go to InstyPrint or Kinkos to have it done. I will be glad to do that if you are interested. If so get back to me and I will check on a cost for printing, postage etc.

I should also point out that this is the also 1950 model year introductory issue.

Richard Quinn
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

Hi all--

Thanks much for the excellent suggestions. 2R5, where exactly in Canfield is the ex-Studebaker dealer building? I know where Canfield is, and that would be a nice shakedown run for my '62 once winter finally gives up. Would like to photograph "Betty" the Lark in a few Stude-related locations once she's out of the barn again...

Cheers

S.

Comment

Hi all--

Thanks much for the excellent suggestions. 2R5, where exactly in Canfield is the ex-Studebaker dealer building? I know where Canfield is, and that would be a nice shakedown run for my '62 once winter finally gives up. Would like to photograph "Betty" the Lark in a few Stude-related locations once she's out of the barn again...

Cheers

S.

Comment

Working...
                          X