Question about replacing my center bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft: Question about replacing my center bearing

I am going to replace the center bearing on the driveshaft in my 57 President Classic (I am chasing a vibration) I have a couple of questions, first the manual says nothing about pressing the center bearing off the front driveshaft does it just slide off the shaft? secondly the manual says to press the bearing into the housing until it is "laterally centered" does this simply mean to center the bearing into the housing? I have replaced center bearing on brand x trucks before and they are pretty straight forward but with the way the center bearing mounts in a Studebaker I am afraid if it isn't pressed into the housing correctly it will ride against the cross member. any help or instruction would be appreciated.

You will likely need the 2 New Rubber Bushings that mount the Center Support Plate to the crossmember.

But be very careful to note the mounting holes they are located in. The Manual mentions which to use for a Right Hand Drive Car and a Left.

Usually a vibration is more likely to come from off-center "U" Joint Cups, worn U-Joints or mis-clocked front and rear shafts.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Be sure to mark the shafts. so they go back together in correct alignment.

Comment

Be sure to mark the shafts. so they go back together in correct alignment.

OOPS I see Rich mentioned that already.

Comment

I replaced the u joints already, checked the phasing of the u joints and they are correct, the center bearing is in the correct holes as per the shop manual I even tried different positions to see if it improved the vibration but in every location other than the factory ones it was worse and when I moved it the first time from the factory location I had a weird harmonic howl on decel, once I moved it back to the factory location it went away which is one of the reasons I suspected the center bearing.When I replaced the u joint I felt a little play in the center bearing so I figured I might as well change it since I don't know the age of it. The rubber bushing seem to be in very good shape.I removed the shaft as one piece when I replaced the joints which is why I was wondering if the center bearing actually slides off the front shaft or has to be pressed off the shaft.
          Last edited by Studevair; 05-19-2017, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X