PDA

View Full Version : charging system

jbjr
05-16-2017, 12:41 PM
I have a 60 lark that sits on a 91 chevy frame with a 4.3 engine that I have a problem with. About a month ago the battery went on it and I replaced it, then the alternator got toasted and was replaced. After taking it out for a ride and letting it sit over night the new battery was low. I put it on a charge and tested it for a drain and there was none. The next day I took it out again and the same thing happened so I brought the battery back and had it tested and it tested good. When I got home I disconnected the neg battery cable for the night and reconnected it back up and let it sit for a few days testing the battery every day for a few days and the meter showed 12.6v. Is it possible that the starter is going bad or draining the battery somehow?
The way I tested for a drain is disconnected the neg cable and hook up a multimeter, neg probe the post and pos probe to the neg cable and no drain.

toymobile
05-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Check the headlight switch to be sure the DOME lights are not on part way, Alt may have a bad diode. I don't know what else but the ALT is probably the bad unit, after the car has sit long enough to COOL feel the ALT and if it is warmer than the rest BINGO.

Good luck

Johnny

jbjr
05-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Alternator was replaced 3 weeks ago and there was a problem with the interior light which was also fixed about the same time.

rstrasser
05-16-2017, 04:27 PM
jbjr;
Is you multi meter auto ranging. Which scale did you select; amps or volts.
If you open the car door did the meter read. In volts when you open the car door the meter should read battery voltage. In amps it should read some value in amps.
If the meter is auto ranging and you had no reading; then I believe there is no problem with the cars wiring. Unless you have a gremlin that comes and goes.
Ron

jbjr
05-16-2017, 04:56 PM
I set the meter to amps when checking for the drain volts when checking the battery.