PDA

View Full Version : This just posted: WWII Studebaker trucks in Iran with drivers

Studebaker Wheel
05-14-2017, 01:23 AM
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/05/13/a-wwii-portrait-series-records-army-truckers-who-carried-critica/22085217/#slide=5029952#fullscreen

How can one tell immediately (even in the close-ups) that these trucks are Studebakers?

RadioRoy
05-14-2017, 01:27 AM
Vent/wing windows.

Studebaker Wheel
05-14-2017, 02:16 AM
Vent/wing windows.

You win Roy!!

jclary
05-14-2017, 08:08 AM
Thanks for posting this Richard. While I am as big a Studebaker fan as any...I couldn't help but concentrate on the faces of the drivers.

Think about it...all young boys, far away from home. Those who are smiling, cannot hide the seriousness of why they are where they are, etched into their young faces. I'm seventy two, and the pictures were taken before I was born. Truly, to this point, America's greatest generation.

studegary
05-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Thanks for posting this Richard. While I am as big a Studebaker fan as any...I couldn't help but concentrate on the faces of the drivers.

Think about it...all young boys, far away from home. Those who are smiling, cannot hide the seriousness of why they are where they are, etched into their young faces. I'm seventy two, and the pictures were taken before I was born. Truly, to this point, America's greatest generation.

Thanks for posting this link, Richard. It is nice that AOL identified the trucks as Studebakers in the text.

I am a pre-war model. I have a couple of family stories related to this. One of my cousins and what became my father-in-law were drafted into WWII. What makes this unusual/different/related is what they did/how they were assigned. My cousin's family and my FiL both lived in cities and their families did not have cars and neither of them drove. My cousin was in the CB's and was assigned as a truck driver. They took him to a beach with a truck and told to learn how to drive it. My FiL was a master tailor. He was assigned to servicing trucks. After about one year of doing this on the western front, he was reassigned to work on uniforms.

WinM1895
05-14-2017, 12:11 PM
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/05/13/a-wwii-portrait-series-records-army-truckers-who-carried-critica/22085217/#slide=5029952#fullscreen

How can one tell immediately (even in the close-ups) that these trucks are Studebakers?
The slant of the windshield that was much more severe than the GM, Dodge and etc. versions.

Most Studebaker trucks were lend leased to the Russkies, but were also used constructing the ALCAN Highway.

The Alaska Transportation Museum in Wasilla has 3, a roadside museum in Glenallen has 2 very rusty examples, there are about a dozen in a private collection in AK

When the Murmansk harbor was unusable during the winter months due to ice, convoys were routed thru the Persian Gulf.

Ron Dame
05-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Vent/wing windows.++Rake of the windshield, and on one, the square fnder