Alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment

My Sky Hawk is in need of a front alignment. No biggie, but if I take it to the guy who usually does my work he'll probably charge me hundreds of bucks. is this something an ordinary chain shop, like a Mavis Tire can do, or is the car considered just too exotic for that?
    peter lee

As long as it's not worn parts and just alignment, any competent shop should be able to do it as long as you show them the manual and specs. That assumes that they want to fart with it and care about doing it right.

The local shop I use prides himself on doing it right and will do cars, trucks, classics, hot rods etc. He's was about $80 three years ago, so I just handed him a C-note and said buy the guys a beer.

I'd check on price but if the guy knows how to do it, won't try to add parts that you don't need and guarantees his work you may well be dollars ahead if the tires wear well and it goes straight down the highway.

Bob

Comment

Most modern shops cannot do an alignment on our cars because the jig they hang on the rear wheel will not clear the fenders. I take mine to a shop that still has the old alignment equipment. They also are much more familiar with the specs on older vehicles. Ask around. Someone will probably know just the right shop for the job.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I too, use a shop that has specialized in trucks for years, thus they have the equipment and know how to work on our king pin set ups. When I recently had the Lark in for a toe in adjustment (after replacing tie rod ends) the young man really liked the Lark and seemed to know about old cars, and did the job for only $60 or so.

Comment

I had a local shop do an alignment on my 63 Cruiser and my 72 Chevy truck. They did a great job for under $65 each.

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
            My Sky Hawk is in need of a front alignment. No biggie, but if I take it to the guy who usually does my work he'll probably charge me hundreds of bucks. is this something an ordinary chain shop, like a Mavis Tire can do, or is the car considered just too exotic for that?
            Could be a combination of the alignment tech is too young and your car is too old.

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
            As long as it's not worn parts and just alignment, any competent shop should be able to do it as long as you show them the manual and specs. That assumes that they want to fart with it and care about doing it right.

Bob

A few years ago, I drove my Land Cruiser to a local shop where the owner had purchased a brand new alignment machine. The owner proudly showed me the machine and invited me to drive on the lift for a check. So, I dutifully allowed him to guide me onto his lift. Once in the the air, he grabbed his new manual to look up the specs for the computer data.

We had some polite conversation, I told him I might "check back in after he gained more experience." Good guy, but not my "alignment guy."

Unless the front is rebuilt, what half century old car does not have "worn parts.? I have lots of years of successful mechanical experience, but, A confession...I have a lot of weak mechanical knowledge/experience too. Suspension work is one of the tasks I fear the most. I'm not sure I have ever driven a Studebaker that did not need some front suspension maintenance, or adjustments. Someday, if any of you who have one sees me at a meet, I'd like an opportunity to experience a turn at the wheel with a "top notch" performing Studebaker suspension.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for your wise replies, guys! Since this is a safety issue I'm just going to have to bite the bullet (nose) and have it done. Men like me with little or no mechanical ability and limited funds shouldn't be owning collector cars. I think my next hobby should be collecting matchbooks, which I actually did once, or maybe getting a model of a Mustang or Corvette with which I can scoot along the floor and make car sounds. No repairs, ever!
              peter lee

Comment

Working...
              X