Steering damper on GT Hawk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Steering damper on GT Hawk.

The steering damper on my 1962 GT Hawk is shot. Has anyone successfully replaced one with a damper found through your FLAPS ? I know that the some of the Studebaker vendors sell the steering damper kit 1564322 for around $100.00 + shipping, but all I need is the damper part itself. If anyone has an aftermarket replacement part# I would greatly appreciate it.
    Mike Kelly
    Regional Manager
    Texas
    1963 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

I always wonder , why 1962/64 Hawks needed the damper and no other Studebakers.

Comment

The shock used on the 62 Damper was from a Corvette application (read $$$$) I can look it up.. Watch this space..

As an aside, I have a 64 GT and it doesn't need any damper. Of course the damper was a band aid for worn parts......

Here it is..

and the Service Letter is below

....AND here is one...

1963-67 Corvette 3178100 Steering Dampner Shock, Used

This Shock is Dated 354-65, it is being sold as a core needing rebuilt or for show purposes only

please review the large pictures for details. Ask any and all questions prior to bidding.

stk #BY032-121516

Last edited by 64V-K7; 05-11-2017, 07:59 AM. Reason: Adding Info...
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
        I always wonder , why 1962/64 Hawks needed the damper and no other Studebakers.
        Any post-'58 Stude with PS will benefit from the steering damper when the car is driven at higher speeds and/or with wider radial tires. The lack of caster in the design of the kingpins and the slack in the inherently crappy Bendix linkage assist steering can cause a speed wobble, as anyone who's flat-towed one can attest.

Caveat - the damper can work with non-PS cars, but with either it's not going to fix worn tie rod ends, PS parts, or bushings.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

May I ask what a steering damper is and where it is located? I looked at the references above, but it is not clear where it is.
          Perry
          \'50 Business Champion
          \'50 Starlight Champion
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Thanks Bob, I had figured out it was a corvette application once I got it off and could read the part number stamped on it. I saw the one you on eBay you had posted a link to and it appears to be in worst condition than mine. Lol
            I was in hopes that someone had replaced one recently and might have found a part # off another application that might work to replace it.
            Mike Kelly
            Regional Manager
            Texas
            1963 Lark Cruiser
            1962 GT Hawk
            1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

Comment

Here's some more info

I'm afraid it's a Corvette or Stude ONLY application. OF course you can measure the travel and see if there's another unit with similar specs.
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

You might check with Ecklers Vette parts,they have bargains sometimes. Luck Doofus

Comment

You might try a parts store that carries Monroe products, get into the catalog area for steering dampners, measure overall length extended and collapsed , shaft size too. Lou Cote

Comment

Working...
                  X