Wondering about future of SDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering about future of SDC

I was just thinking about how the SDC has grown and thrived since it was first thought up and I got to thinking about the future. I'm curious what everybody out there thinks the SDC might be like in 20 years. How about 50 years?

Did some of the oldtimers ever think it wouldn't even last to the year 2000?

Personally I think that the club may get a little larger in the next 3-5 years and then slowly begin shrinking (in number of members) for a relatively long period before rebounding some. I hope I'm wrong, but I tend to think we're close to our all time high in numbers of members and once it's reached we won't see it it again.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

In the 1970s, I knew of no thoughts of SDC ever reaching an end. Now, I see the make-up of the membership and their cars changing. The Club has held a fairly stable membership number for many years now. Over the next 20 years, I see the Club changing to a smaller club made up of enthusiasts and owners of show cars, but very few driver types. After 50 years, who knows. Most of us won't be here then. I think that there will still be a small group with interest in Studebakers as there are groups/clubs now for cars that haven't been made since the 1930s.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

In the 1970s, I knew of no thoughts of SDC ever reaching an end. Now, I see the make-up of the membership and their cars changing. The Club has held a fairly stable membership number for many years now. Over the next 20 years, I see the Club changing to a smaller club made up of enthusiasts and owners of show cars, but very few driver types. After 50 years, who knows. Most of us won't be here then. I think that there will still be a small group with interest in Studebakers as there are groups/clubs now for cars that haven't been made since the 1930s.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Well considering that there is becoming a large contingent of us in our 30s and 40's, I think the club is safe for the next many years.

Comment

Well considering that there is becoming a large contingent of us in our 30s and 40's, I think the club is safe for the next many years.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott
            Personally I think that the club may get a little larger in the next 3-5 years and then slowly begin shrinking (in number of members) for a relatively long period before rebounding some.

Let me state the obvious....All the more reason to continue to welcome customizers/rodders and people who drive Avanti IIs.

About the latter-day Avantis...a lot of young people are out there and young guys will always want "hot" muscle type cars.
            There in a finite number of Mustangs, Camaros and MOPARS out there, so some may find an Avanti II, either stock or modified.
            Let's continue to welcome them.

Young people's cars (and tastes) may not be like ours, put just as the makeup of America is changing, so will the makeup of the SDC if it is going to continue to thrive.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott
              Personally I think that the club may get a little larger in the next 3-5 years and then slowly begin shrinking (in number of members) for a relatively long period before rebounding some.

Let me state the obvious....All the more reason to continue to welcome customizers/rodders and people who drive Avanti IIs.

About the latter-day Avantis...a lot of young people are out there and young guys will always want "hot" muscle type cars.
              There in a finite number of Mustangs, Camaros and MOPARS out there, so some may find an Avanti II, either stock or modified.
              Let's continue to welcome them.

Young people's cars (and tastes) may not be like ours, put just as the makeup of America is changing, so will the makeup of the SDC if it is going to continue to thrive.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

This has been mentioned here before Scott, you are not the first to think (worry) about it! The consensus was about what you and Gary said, especially about how many of us will still be around!

There are some second and third generation Owners and SDC Members, maybe 1 in 10 or so, but really not many!

I am a second generation member and my sons are third, and a few others like Mike & Michelle Myer are second generation members, unfortunately we could name dozens, but NOT thousands! [V]

Most of the members like me, grew up with the cars and were around them in their early teens when the cars were new and daily driven on the roads and bi-roads of the good 'ol USA! [^]

All except Biggs of course, since we all know he is STILL a kid, and will NEVER grow up!

Ok, while I was typing this others had good thoughts also, yes it is true there are 30 & 40 something members and a lot of younger newbies who are not part of the "Original" group, so there is hope for the future, I did not mean to say it is doomed! [^]
                StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This has been mentioned here before Scott, you are not the first to think (worry) about it! The consensus was about what you and Gary said, especially about how many of us will still be around!

There are some second and third generation Owners and SDC Members, maybe 1 in 10 or so, but really not many!

I am a second generation member and my sons are third, and a few others like Mike & Michelle Myer are second generation members, unfortunately we could name dozens, but NOT thousands! [V]

Most of the members like me, grew up with the cars and were around them in their early teens when the cars were new and daily driven on the roads and bi-roads of the good 'ol USA! [^]

All except Biggs of course, since we all know he is STILL a kid, and will NEVER grow up!

Ok, while I was typing this others had good thoughts also, yes it is true there are 30 & 40 something members and a lot of younger newbies who are not part of the "Original" group, so there is hope for the future, I did not mean to say it is doomed! [^]
                  StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Replies to this topic should be put into a time capsule,to be opened at the 2028 Studebaker International meet!

LaSalle,Il
                    61Hawk
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Replies to this topic should be put into a time capsule,to be opened at the 2028 Studebaker International meet!

LaSalle,Il
                      61Hawk
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

If you don't stop treating new comers the way you do, these cars will be museum items in 20 years. Your attitute will have to change, as young people are not idiots, they will go where they are wanted. The young and middle aged will not stand for the sarcastic comments that go on here, there are to many groups, clubs and car makes to chose from. The hype that Studebaker cars can go fast if you spend alot of money is hogwash, it just don't have the cubic inches! I was looking at the Studebaker history of NASCAR and the best they ever did was 8-15 they have never won. I guess sometimes you just have to be honest, they are nice cars and trucks, they are attractive however the folks that like them are a small minority. The future of the SDC is dependent upon you and how you handle new recruits.

Studebakers forever!
                        Studebakers forever!

Comment

If you don't stop treating new comers the way you do, these cars will be museum items in 20 years. Your attitute will have to change, as young people are not idiots, they will go where they are wanted. The young and middle aged will not stand for the sarcastic comments that go on here, there are to many groups, clubs and car makes to chose from. The hype that Studebaker cars can go fast if you spend alot of money is hogwash, it just don't have the cubic inches! I was looking at the Studebaker history of NASCAR and the best they ever did was 8-15 they have never won. I guess sometimes you just have to be honest, they are nice cars and trucks, they are attractive however the folks that like them are a small minority. The future of the SDC is dependent upon you and how you handle new recruits.

Studebakers forever!
                          Studebakers forever!

Comment

While we are being honest here, don't ya think that is a bit unfair, since the Studebaker Corp. NEVER raced at any NASCAR event!

quote:Originally posted by studelover

I was looking at the Studebaker history of NASCAR and the best they ever did was 8-15 they have never won.
                            StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

While we are being honest here, don't ya think that is a bit unfair, since the Studebaker Corp. NEVER raced at any NASCAR event!

quote:Originally posted by studelover

I was looking at the Studebaker history of NASCAR and the best they ever did was 8-15 they have never won.
                              StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X