PDA

View Full Version : New 5H - K7 body tag?

S2Deluxe
05-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Tom Karkiewicz has quite a selection available. No doubt he can come up with one.
Jerry Kurtz can make a new one for you if you want it to actually match your body number.
For it to be totally accurate he will need to know what the body number was. At this point that information would only be on the original production order available from the Studebaker National Museum if you can supply them your Serial No.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/York%202016/P3110069_zpsyslgl2yg.jpg

That's quite a fascinating collection of authentic looking body tags in the photo above!

The one that really jumps out at me and grabs my attention is the one that reads -
{5H - K7}
{ 823 }
I thought that the K bodies were only available in the - K5 Regal trim level before '55! Is there a car somewhere that now that has this tag installed on it? Can I see pictures somewhere? I would be very interested in seeing pictures of whatever variations such a car actually has! Can anyone share any more details on this?

Thank you,
Mark

studegary
05-08-2017, 10:51 PM
That's quite a fascinating collection of authentic looking body tags in the photo above!

The one that really jumps out at me and grabs my attention is the one that reads -
{5H - K7}
{ 823 }
I thought that the K bodies were only available in the - K5 Regal trim level before '55! Is there a car somewhere that now that has this tag installed on it? Can I see pictures somewhere? I would be very interested in seeing pictures of whatever variations such a car actually has! Can anyone share any more details on this?

Thank you,
Mark

You have made a good observation there. A 5H would be a 1954 Commander. The only 1954 K body would be a K5.
Also, A 17A- Q1 025 would be a non-existent 25th 1950 Commander three passenger coupe.
I take it to be that these tags are examples of the work and not representative of actual cars.

S2Deluxe
05-09-2017, 02:48 AM
I take it that these tags are examples of the work and not representative of actual cars.

But it would be interesting, at least to me, to see someones interpretation of what the physical form such a car would actually be!

Mark

capwombat
05-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Any thoughts on whether any bodies were produced (originally) without any cowl tag at all? When I bought my Silver Hawk a few years ago, while the original spot-welded door plate ("VIN plate") was still in place, the cowl tag was missing. As the car had been repainted in the early '90s, I figured the previous owner had simply misplaced it/forgotten to reinstall it. So I ordered a build sheet (original production order) from the museum, and this is what I received! Any ideas?64151

studegary
05-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Any thoughts on whether any bodies were produced (originally) without any cowl tag at all? When I bought my Silver Hawk a few years ago, while the original spot-welded door plate ("VIN plate") was still in place, the cowl tag was missing. As the car had been repainted in the early '90s, I figured the previous owner had simply misplaced it/forgotten to reinstall it. So I ordered a build sheet (original production order) from the museum, and this is what I received! Any ideas?64151

Special cars, such as prototypes, were built without body tags, but they were also built without Serial Number tags. On those cars, there were no holes in the cowl where a body tag mounts. Does your car have the holes in the cowl to mount the body tag?

S2Deluxe
05-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Special cars, such as prototypes, were built without body tags, but they were also built without Serial Number tags. On those cars, there were no holes in the cowl where a body tag mounts. Does your car have the holes in the cowl to mount the body tag?

Screw holes would seem to indicate the presence of a body tag, at some point? A lack of them doesn't prove they haven't been filled in either? The ProductIon Order copy, gives no indication of one ever being there! It does give you the 12/1/58 date, if someone could examine locate the production orders for C6 bodies before and after yours that do show body numbers? It seems that it would be possible to determine whether or not your car had a tag and if it did, what the number actually was? There are many things in the world that most of us will never know. Sometimes if someone wants to put enough effort in to it, they can figure something out? I guess the question is, how worthwhile, to you, would it really be?

Mark

TWChamp
05-14-2017, 12:36 AM
You have made a good observation there. A 5H would be a 1954 Commander. The only 1954 K body would be a K5.
Also, A 17A- Q1 025 would be a non-existent 25th 1950 Commander three passenger coupe.
I take it to be that these tags are examples of the work and not representative of actual cars.

Does anyone know how many 1950 Commander Business Coupes were made?
I've only seen one about 25 years ago, and it was in pretty good shape in a junk yard in western MN, near the SD border.

capwombat
05-14-2017, 12:52 AM
Gary, it has the holes -- just no tag. I guess it will just be one of the great mysteries!

S2Deluxe
05-14-2017, 03:26 AM
I've only seen one about 25 years ago, and it was in pretty good shape in a junk yard in western MN, near the SD border.

It seems like 24 might be a good guess?

Mark

studegary
05-14-2017, 11:18 AM

I didn't think that there were any 1950 model Commander three passenger (business) coupes made by Studebaker.
There have been some aftermarket ones created.
Three passenger (business) coupes were very low production. Champion and Commander combined went from 9947 for 1947 to 2360 for 1949.
I have heard stories of one produced (Commander three passenger coupe) for 1950 and/or 1951, but I have not seen documentation that it was Studebaker production.

tomlewis
05-14-2017, 11:09 PM
The key word there was "Commander" business coupe. Plenty of 1950 Champion business coupes produced, even though the body style was one of the least popular in Studebaker's high water mark production year. Tom