PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts of the International meet in SB.

Steve-o-Reno
05-07-2017, 01:57 PM
The only thing I enjoyed a great deal was the
Studebaker Museum and the Bldg 84 tour. the rest was a flop:eek:

The Hospitality room was terrible! Coffee and doughnuts,come on:rolleyes:

Didn't get any kind of memorabilia bag, cup etc. nothing at all

For what I paid for this, I did not get my moneys worth.

55s
05-07-2017, 07:36 PM
I have to jump on this comment and disagree. (See the other thread with positive comments - Big Thank you to the Michiana Chapter).

Aside from the weather, which was admittedly cool and wet much of the time, and which nobody can control, I thought the event was well run, especially considering the overtime the smaller group of non-paid volunteers put in to make this event happen.

I wouldn't expect the hospitality room to have much more than what was available. For people who don't seem to know, hotels can charge $5 for a water, and $6-$7 for a soft drink! This would be a waste of everyone's registration money. Buy your own.

There were some nice memorabilia items available at reasonable cost from our vendors: Again, I don't want to pay for the cost of a mug or something I would never use in a registration fee.

If you really think you can run an event better, and you have at least 50 other people in your area who are willing to bust their asses for no compensation for several days and plan for years, go for it!!!

Bob Henning
05-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Steve,

Were you a late registrant for the Building 84 tour, as you did not sign up for the Building 84 Tour when you registered in December? I am asking to see how that process worked for you, and when you registered for the Tour.

55s is right, there were plenty of souvenirs all over the place at the Fairgrounds, and the Museum had some top notch items this year. They out did themselves with the variety of items, and the prices were excellent. I hope you became a member of the Museum as you enjoyed it so much. It's a great place ran by dedicated people.

As far as the Hospitality Room, when I went in there, there was coffee, water, doughnuts, and cookies. That is more than enough. Most all of this was paid for by the Chapter at the hotel rates....

If you knew the sheer amount of moving parts as well as the financials of an event of this magnitude you would actually say to yourself, "I got a bargain", because you did. When I register for shows at my job it starts at $125, and the Hospitality Room is get your own somewhere else.

tim333
05-07-2017, 09:53 PM
Seriously Steve? You should have stayed home. I drove my 57 Commander from Shorewood Illinois. I never went to the hospitality room, just the swap meet and show. Thoroughly enjoyed meeting people in person I've done business with such as Dave Thibeault, Ernie Loga and Jim Turner. Talking with other members was priceless. The hard work that VOLUNTEERS put in is immense. You should be ashamed of yourself Steve. Like Mom said, if you have nothing nice to say be quiet.

Avantidon
05-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Steve,

I haven't checked your registration but I will. Simply stated, if you were not at Wednesday's Vendor Night you missed out on the chance to win many door prizes and $500.00 in cash. If you chose not to attend the Buffet again you missed out on the chance to win another $500.00 in cash and many vendor Gift Certificates of $50.00. Oh by the way if you did not come down town on Friday you missed out on a chance to win a 50 Commander and many discounts on great food in many restaurants. We ate at Fiddler's Hearth, a great Irish Restaurant on a buy one entree and get one free. Some of the best Irish Food I have had outside of Ireland and Scotland. So don't blame the Michiana Chapter as they did a great job and there was lots of fun and great things to do. As for souvenirs the Studebaker Museum also had a nice collection of them at reasonable prices. Hopefully you did visit there. There was much to do and much see and much to bring home if you took the time. Oh, I forgot one other item a great 8 page insert in Friday's edition of the South Bend Tribune that made a great collector item for me. Coffee mugs and meet bags tend to get broken or worn out from use.

lugamatic
05-08-2017, 07:18 AM
The last time i looked south bend was still in the usa, where everyone can express an opinion , there are two sides to every story remember that.

Steve-o-Reno
05-08-2017, 07:48 AM
Thank you Lugamatic. I'm sorry if I have offended some people. I'm comparing this meet with previous meets. Even at the 2012 meet they gave us a bag with stuff to remember SB meet. I did buy $100.00 worth of memerbelia. I did register in December for everything, buffet and bldg 84 which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was great to see the guys from the other chapters. I thought vendor night was just for vendors so didn't go. I thought at the buffet banquet they should do the drawing first, so if you didn't want to stay for the presentation etc you could leave. I didn't attend last years IM so I don't know how that compared to this.
I know it's alot of work for the committee and I thank you for that.
I hope I answered your questions.

jclary
05-08-2017, 08:14 AM
The last time i looked south bend was still in the usa, where everyone can express an opinion , there are two sides to every story remember that.

Thank you Lugamatic. I'm sorry if I have offended some people. I'm comparing this meet with previous meets. Even at the 2012 meet they gave us a bag with stuff to remember SB meet. I did buy $100.00 worth of memerbelia. I did register in December for everything, buffet and bldg 84 which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was great to see the guys from the other chapters. I thought vendor night was just for vendors so didn't go. I thought at the buffet banquet they should do the drawing first, so if you didn't want to stay for the presentation etc you could leave. I didn't attend last years IM so I don't know how that compared to this.
I know it's alot of work for the committee and I thank you for that.
I hope I answered your questions.

Lugamatic...SOOoo right on!:!: Although, those of us with Studebaker personalities, sometimes have faceted perspectives with many sides.:rolleyes: I recently attended a university graduation service where the speaker spent a very boring amount of time championing diversity and freedom...except, if you didn't think like him...you must be an evil tyrant.:confused:

Steve...good post. Unless I'm misinterpreting your words, you are mainly admitting the experience was not in sync with your expectations. I had that kind of reaction to my Air Force tech school. During basic training, they showed us films of tech school. A lovely campus, smiling faces, and it looked like what I had imagined college would be. Turned out, I got sent to a base where the school was overbooked, and we were housed in old drafty WWII barracks, with a pot bellied stove for heat, and to keep us busy,(until we could start classes) we had marching drills, and given details like hand picking dandelions out of the grass! The very first time I ever experienced homesickness!:QQ: Certainly didn't live up to my expectations!:(

(However...it did keep me busy:p)

tim333
05-08-2017, 08:41 AM
......everything else was a flop..........The swap meet, the car show, the 196 car parade, the cruise night, the comraderie????? What banquet has there ever been where the presentation of whatever was being celebrated came BEFORE being fed?
Giving an opinion as to what you thought was missing is good feedback, calling the show "....a flop" is downright rude and an insult to those who worked hard on it.
Some car shows have t shirts made up, Steve would have complained if the shirt didn't have his car depicted.
Enough said, kudos to those who volunteered countless hours.

stupak
05-08-2017, 08:48 AM
I guess the moral of the story is, 'if you don't have anything good to say (along with the bad). don't say anything. So.............. stupak

Steve-o-Reno
05-08-2017, 08:49 AM
Thanks jclary. You are correct. It didn't meet my expectations. Our chapter has had 2 International Meets and a few zone meets and we offered much more. BUT, times have changed and it's all about "DOWNSIZING"

stupak
05-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Downsizing and 'cheap' are two different things. stupak

Steve-o-Reno
05-08-2017, 08:56 AM
You all have heard the last from me on this topic. I will take your advice and not say anymore
HAPPY TRAILS WITH YOUR STUDE'S THIS SUMMER.

jclary
05-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Thanks jclary. You are correct. It didn't meet my expectations. Our chapter has had 2 International Meets and a few zone meets and we offered much more. BUT, times have changed and it's all about "DOWNSIZING"

Well...this is a forum, read..."discussion." And as such, I'm neither agreeing with you or disparaging you. For my tech school story, the problem was "my" expectations. I admit to having difficulty accepting and adapting to the reality of the situation. In hindsight, I excelled in that school, and learned skills that served me well throughout my life. Due to my "overactive" imagination, it also taught me to try and dampen expectation imaginings of events I'm anticipating. It is a characteristic that continues to haunt me.

Fortunately, if we are to believe most post meet comments thus far, the meet was a very positive experience for most in attendance. That should be very rewarding to those who worked so diligently. As in any human endeavor, remembering to bring a good attitude, and wear a smile, goes a long way toward adapting to and overcoming imagined expectations.:)

41 Frank
05-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Just for the record! A very large percentage of your registration money goes to Cornerstone Registration, not to the local Chapter.

lugamatic
05-08-2017, 11:36 AM
As per your comment, i was told the local chapter only gets 5000.00 to keep. The question is who keeps the rest? I heard the count for the cars in southbend was 151 which was great. There was a lot of complaining about the banquet stations for food and that the business meeting was questionable also guests were highly confused about vendor night , but i am not posting this as a complaint because i did not register for any of these events, i am posting this as information for people who want to learn from others . Thanks

Buzzard
05-08-2017, 11:56 AM
I'm glad most attendees were pleased. We cancelled partially due to the uncertain weather in the Rockies. It has been the longest, coldest spring in years. We are disappointed as we had really looked forward to finally meeting many of you in person. My suggestion is to perhaps hold the meet in say the first part of June when the weather Gods are more on our side. I know that would have cinched things for us. JMHO.
Cheers, Bill

tim333
05-08-2017, 12:03 PM
196 cars in the parade......

52-fan
05-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Like a lot of other things in my life, I don't like to complain about things like this. Someone is bound to tell me to step up and do it better. I appreciate the hard work even if things don't turn out as I liked.
The only real complaint I have is about the street layout and unsychronized traffic lights in South Bend and the local Chapter can't control those.

thunderations
05-08-2017, 04:18 PM
How many in the 2012 parade when it was held in the summer? Perhaps some comparisons would show if a later date is more preferable. I know of some younger members that passed on the event due to having school age children and the travel time would have kept them out of school too long. Others are school teachers and can't take the time off. Weather in northern Indiana is very unpredictable in May, (born and raised there) and it caused many to either not attend or to not bring their Studebakers. Seems like the amount of work would be the same, no matter what time of year it was held.

196 cars in the parade......

studeguy54
05-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Steve-O. The opinion posters here are right. As the head of the SDC International Meet Committee, working with the Michiana Chapter, countless months of hours of volunteer work have gone into the meet you attended last week. I'm sorry if we disappointed you by not having trinkets in a bag for you, but we decided a few years ago to do away with the superficial things that take a inordinate amount of time to gather and put in a bag, not to mention it has become more and more difficult to get the free pens, pencils, key chains, pocket calendars and stuff from local businesses.

Then, too, the Pre-Meet booklet that people picked-up on-site a few years ago has been done away with due to the cost of printing, many of the venues for tours changing, and just the fact that too few people even registered until 6-8 months out from the meet. We're trying to keep this meet affordable for you and the over 1700+ people who attended this year, in an environment when just about everything you touch has increased in price.

You're probably right that some people might have left if the winner of the car was announced first, however that drawing was not until Friday evening. I don't believe there was a reason to leave Members Night, as the food was excellent.

We're sorry you found so much to fault, but please feel free to offer to help. Volunteers are becoming a tough thing to find, and we value the opinion and help of all who offer. My email is below and I am open to comment at any time.

Denny Foust
SDC International Meet Committee Chairman

studeguy54@verizon.net

tim333
05-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Denny, check your PM's please.
Tim

8E45E
05-09-2017, 08:25 AM
How many in the 2012 parade when it was held in the summer? Perhaps some comparisons would show if a later date is more preferable. I know of some younger members that passed on the event due to having school age children and the travel time would have kept them out of school too long. Others are school teachers and can't take the time off. Weather in northern Indiana is very unpredictable in May, (born and raised there) and it caused many to either not attend or to not bring their Studebakers. Seems like the amount of work would be the same, no matter what time of year it was held.

I agree the month of May is too early to hold an outdoor meet in that part of the country. Indeed, the wind made it cold and miserable for viewing the cars. Not to mention, I thankfully did not drive my Studebaker there this year as I was more on a parts-gathering mission which included some larger pieces requiring a half-ton truck. After driving through some rain just west of Fargo, ND, on the Interstate, I did notice the familiar crystalline pattern of road salt on the sides of my F150 once it had dried. Apparently it had snowed in the region a couple of days previous, and there was still enough salt residue on the road surface to leave a liberal coating of it on one's vehicle. All know salt and Studes don't get along. That being said, I did get a lot of parts I needed at the Swap Meet which was excellent, with the highlight getting to visit with everyone once again. Perhaps the most fun was Ed's "Stude Tailgate Party" at the 'High-Performance Hilton'! (Thanks again, Ed & Cyndi for a wonderful time!!)

Craig

pinehurstbob
05-09-2017, 09:51 AM
I participated in the 2012 and 2017 parade and my choice for a route would be the 2012 route. Seemed to me to be more direct with fewer lights to separate us. Had a blast both times and I will do it again if a parade is in the future. Perhaps some auxiliary police can be obtained since the City of South Bend supports this event? Just my 2 cents worth as this should decrease the load on volunteers.
Bob

JRoberts
05-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Rather than air my complaints here, I will try to contact my Zone representatives. I would rather do that since it seems any negative comments are not welcome here without getting lambasted in the process.

41 Frank
05-09-2017, 01:46 PM
[The hosting Chapter is Guaranteed an amount of $5000.00, In other words if they make $3000.00 or any other amount less than $5000.00 SDC only makes up the difference up to the $5000 guarantee. Any other moneys go to the SDC as they are the ones bankrolling the event. These meets have been losing thousands of dollars a year for several years now. All that comes out of the SDC treasury folks! Hence the reason for cutting down on things like fun night and other freebies. The fact that the city of South Bend chipped in a fair amount of funds helped a lot in trying to balance the budget.

Frank van Doorn
Director
QUOTE=lugamatic;1053153]As per your comment, i was told the local chapter only gets 5000.00 to keep. The question is who keeps the rest? I heard the count for the cars in southbend was 151 which was great. There was a lot of complaining about the banquet stations for food and that the business meeting was questionable also guests were highly confused about vendor night , but i am not posting this as a complaint because i did not register for any of these events, i am posting this as information for people who want to learn from others . Thanks[/QUOTE]

Avantidon
05-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Frank, thanks for the comments as you are right on the money. These meets are costly but your IMC and Board continue to look at ways to reduce the cost you the members they serve and at the same time make sure they breakeven as well. In addition, the host chapter has options to raise their profits on the meet. An example of that was the gate admission collected at the Fairgrounds from those who attended the meet from the general public. Moving the show to Saturday, increased this revenue source by about 25% for the local chapter over the 2012 receipts when it was held on Thursday.

If you have not walked in the shoes of a local meet committee putting on an International Meet for the SDC, I am sure if you reached out to one they would be more than happy to explain to you all that goes into making a meet of this nature a success.

Bob Henning
05-09-2017, 07:12 PM

That was my co-event in 2012. There were more Studebakers at this year's downtown event than in 2012. I am not sure about other areas, but around here there is much talk about school year round. There is no good time to have a meet anywhere. The results of the recent survey indicated that respondents wanted to have a meet not in the heat of Summer. As the Co-Chair for the 2012 Meet, I received a lot of complaints that the weather was too hot, and they roasted waiting for the judges to judge their car. We went through over 50 cases of water. Weather in Northern Indiana is unpredictable all the time, not just Spring. Just say, "Lake Effect" to anyone that lives around here and see their reaction. As I said a couple of times, to my knowledge we didn't have any cars vapor lock. :)

jts359
05-09-2017, 08:52 PM
There should have been an awards banquet , Granted the food is not always great , But I always ran into old friends at them and enjoyed the comraderie , I don't want hear about subsidizing them , Charge what it cost , Ed

swvalcon
05-09-2017, 08:56 PM
I myself had a great time. The buffet all though what food was there was all right was kind of a let down. Enjoyed the building 84 tour and the test track. It did have a slow start as they where waiting until the last minute for stragglers. Everyone knew it started early so get your butt out of bed. Fair grounds and cars great time. The parade was kind of a cluster but I think that was because of the time of day and the fact that it was a Friday. Traffic would cut in and then stop at the next light so we where strung out pretty good but in the end looked like everyone got there some how. I think the host club did a good job. Stayed at the host hotel and not as cheap as a motel 6 but no complaints. All you could eat for breakfast for $10. with coffee and juice. $3.00 16oz beers at night which is not bad for that kind of place. I expected both the food and beer to be higher. Lobby people where great and very friendly as where all the help. My brother and I walked around town when we got there Tue. Evening and hit a Jimmy Johns with $1.00 6" subs. Sure can't beat that. So all in all no real complaints. Met a lot of people from all over the country and even Canada.

Phil Harris
05-09-2017, 10:01 PM
I liked the shorter meet, something going all the time, not like before with Monday and Friday being wasted days.

I’m amazed at the people who said you shouldn’t say anything unless it is good. I’m a vendor and I want to know when something is not right with the parts I sell. We should be willing to listen to all sides maybe we can continue to get better. SDC has done several surveys, did they just want us to say all is well? Criticism should not be personal!

Remember an event like this can be very good for some and very bad for others. A spectator, someone having their car judged or just displaying a car and someone vending have their own set of circumstances and (meet) people they are interacting or dealing with.

The argument about when to have the meet boils down to this, if you want to reach the most people you still need to have it from mid-June to mid-August, thats the best chance for good weather. Summer is still vacation time and year round schools have some time off in the summer.

I know its a lot of work to put on an event this size and I appreciate all of the volunteers.

tim333
05-09-2017, 10:35 PM
Critiques are good and necessary. I take exception when someone calls the whole meet a "flop" because of a few things he didn't like.

trap442w30
05-10-2017, 01:38 AM
Being my first meet, I don't have much to compare with (I had the more-less unrestored 1917 touring from OH, titled as a 1918). There are three things I'd like to see different...1) metal dash plaques. 2)better weather and 3)my car making it through the whole parade.

tim333
05-10-2017, 06:16 AM
There were metal dash plaques in the registration packet

trap442w30
05-10-2017, 06:25 AM
That's what they told me, but mine was a flexible magnet. I saw the ones for the open car show and they looked nice.

tim333
05-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Trap, if yours is the rubbery stick-on-anything type, I'll trade you the metal one.

4jc8z
05-10-2017, 03:30 PM
My car show plaque received was a rubbery magnetic one too.

57studechampion
05-11-2017, 05:00 PM
I don't know if those who are making negative comments have ever tried to plan an event or sit back and watch and then attend the event and make comments.

I do a local show for my church, (working on #7) and there is always some things that could be done better given optimum conditions and personnel to do them with.

That being said: This was my FIRST but definitely not LAST event that I have done with Studebaker. There is not a local Chapter near me, closest is 2hrs away.

My friend and I came from Louisville KY and had a Great time overall. Yes some things could have been better but being a New person to these events I really did have the "Excitement of being there" with a LOT of knowledgeable and friendly owners and vendors.

My only suggestion is that for someone like myself that had never been to an event and had no clue as to what to expect if there could be an information sheet with not just vendor information but other important facts. Like other I chose not to stay at the Host Hotel, partially because of the cost, so I did not get to meet with the others there or the hospitality room.

If anyone would like more insight from a newbie to the scene please pm or call me.

Remember I am VERY excited that I went and I will go to another meet.

57studechampion
05-11-2017, 05:06 PM
One other thing I forgot to mention is I thought the Host chapter did a FANTASTIC job. Everyone I spoke with was polite. informative and just a friendly as can be.

I wish there was a chapter closer to me to belong to, as I would.

No I don't want to start one.

trap442w30
05-11-2017, 07:23 PM
My criticism was intended to show that of my three complaints, one was my car and one was the weather which no organizer could have changed and a nice looking magnetic dash plaque for my car with the interior made primarily of wood. And even though they couldn't change the first two, they helped me cope with those by graciously offering me the use of one of the buildings to pull it in at night. (and didn't even make me bring it out on Thursday, the nastiest day). I loved the event...Washington is too far for next year, but I'm looking forward to Mansfield the year after. Years ago when restoring an Oldsmobile, I thought the people were very helpful in that group....but the help and information that I have received from the Studebaker people I have met, has just been overwhelming. Without their help I would have never got this "barn find" running, let alone at a meet.....all in a period of under 6 months.
Thanks to all.

Avantidon
05-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Tim, if you want a metal dash plaque please PM me and I'll be more than happy to swap my metal one for your magnetic one.

JoeHall
05-11-2017, 10:27 PM
I don't know if those who are making negative comments have ever tried to plan an event or sit back and watch and then attend the event and make comments.

I do a local show for my church, (working on #7) and there is always some things that could be done better given optimum conditions and personnel to do them with.

That being said: This was my FIRST but definitely not LAST event that I have done with Studebaker. There is not a local Chapter near me, closest is 2hrs away.

My friend and I came from Louisville KY and had a Great time overall. Yes some things could have been better but being a New person to these events I really did have the "Excitement of being there" with a LOT of knowledgeable and friendly owners and vendors.

My only suggestion is that for someone like myself that had never been to an event and had no clue as to what to expect if there could be an information sheet with not just vendor information but other important facts. Like other I chose not to stay at the Host Hotel, partially because of the cost, so I did not get to meet with the others there or the hospitality room.

If anyone would like more insight from a newbie to the scene please pm or call me.

Remember I am VERY excited that I went and I will go to another meet.
I see you are from Louisville, so wanna mention the Indi Chapter is only about 100 miles north of you. They are great folks, and WELL worth the drive :)

swvalcon
05-12-2017, 11:17 AM
I keep hearing about the cost of the host hotel. I stayed at the host hotel and I'am as big of a CASO as anyone.It cost $700 for two people for 5 nights and we where right down town close to everything and the fairground where not that far away. If I happened to be doing nothing I could always go to the hospitality room or down to the bar for the Studebaker special beer. This was my vacation for the year and I had fun. Steve

Hallabutt
05-14-2017, 03:41 AM
At the risk of rankling some folks on the forum I'll get these things off my chest. Mary and I had planned to go to SB all along, which we did. At age 73 I realize full well that it might be my last chance. It's not as inexpensive or as easy for us on the west coast to make the trip as it is for most of you. I checked the GPS in the driveway before we got in the Taxi to get to the airport, Matilda (GPS) indicated that it was 2211 miles. So it's important that each hour needs to be worthwhile to make the meet worth attending. Unfortunately the shorter meet made it seem hard to appreciate the value for the expenditure. Don't misunderstand we enjoyed all of it, but it was too short.

I would like to have driven a Studebaker but for several reasons it didn't happen. While I've remained an outspoken advocate, for years, for moving the meet away from the heat of the summer, I didn't expect the first week in May! Hello, anybody back there realize that we have multiple mountain ranges to cross! Selfishly I would have preferred a September meet. Two of my favorite meets were Rapid City and Lancaster, and much of the reason for that was the weather.

We spent most of our time at the ASC hotel, where we stayed. I have nothing against the downtown location, but I've always felt more comfortable in cozy and less expensive ASC location. We also find that we know far more ASC people. It has always seemed that it was a bit difficult to break into the established geographical and limited interest clicks in the SDC. This is not in any way a condemnation of establishment. It's the problem of being the outsider. We also didn't register with the SDC, because by the time we were assuredly coming, the Building 84 tour and the banquet were both sold out. Not much left but the auction.

The reason that we came was to see old friends, make new friends and enjoy seeing the cars that we love. We did that and savored every minute. Thanks to all who made it possible!-Bill

Bob Henning
05-14-2017, 09:54 AM
If you know anything about the Michiana Chapter, you know that they have a strong group. Its a mix of veterans, and new members and we value each and every one. That Chapter has more experience putting on International Conventions more than any other because of its location. However, even that strong of a group cannot possibly do an International and a May Meet in a close time frame. Remember, our May Meet each year is often larger than non-South Bend International Conventions. We tried in 2012, and it burned people out. Add to this the fact that vendors didn't want to travel to South Bend twice in one year (I certainly see their point) it hurt our May Meet, resulting in lost revenue. There are just too many moving parts, and let's face it, we are all volunteers. If we give up the date in May, even for one year to do an International, there are 3 organizations that are on a waiting list if we cancel. We won't have the Meet that has been going for 36 years in South Bend. We can't do it in June as the Fairgrounds dates are completely booked, along with hotels for other colleges and universities. After that there is a black out for the assembling of the July Fair. After the Fair is over, the dates are filled, or blacked out, and that puts us into August, when no one wanted a Convention, its too hot. After Labor Day, assuming we would have one that late in South Bend, there is a small Catholic University in town that has a football team most have heard of, and hotels and rooms are booked years in advance even on the weeks of away games in preparation for home games.

There are no other venues in the immediate South Bend area that can handle 2,500+ people coming from the public on any given day, as well as the unique needs that we have for vendors and participants, as well as camping which is a whole dynamic in and of itself. To do it any further away would result in even more complaints from people because of the distance between the host hotel, and the other venue. In a recent survey the vast majority of members did not want to have an International Convention in the Summer. I hope all of you participated in that Survey. It had a huge amount of members participating as many have pointed out.

It is also interesting to note that after the International held in South Bend in 2012, as the Co-Chair of that event, I took a huge amount of emails from people, and way too many phone calls and letters, complaining that we shouldn't have done the Meet in the heat of Summer. So, rock and hard place.

As a perfect example, I ran a half marathon in Arizona in February. Does it rain there in February? Not usually. It's beautiful and the desert is green. I was looking forward to running in the sunshine in the desert and not have to wear a jacket. If you think it was cold at our recent event, try running outside in February. What happened? It rained the entire race day, and not just a sprinkle, a downpour for both days we were there. I wore a jacket the entire time, but still had a great time! Mother Nature can be inhospitable no matter what the time of the year, and locale.

As we tweak and fine tune this new format, please remember, it is designed for current members to have fun/save money, recruit new members, and make it easier for a chapter to host a Convention in a non-South Bend year. It is also designed to not lose money like many recent ones did. Like others who have posted, I would urge you to participate in the upcoming survey, especially if you came to this one. Remember, only 1 day was taken out of the Convention, and it was pretty much a dead day. No offense here, but if you usually come to a May Meet in South Bend and didn't come to the International Convention because it was in May, I simply don't understand. You missed a tremendous 4 days of teamwork, special events, and a superior promotion of this Club, and Studebaker in a town that a couple of generations ago didn't embrace Studebaker at all.

Wow, that was long. Thanks for reading this far...

DEEPNHOCK
05-14-2017, 10:47 AM
<snip>
No offense here, but if you usually come to a May Meet in South Bend and didn't come to the International Convention because it was in May, I simply don't understand. You missed a tremendous 4 days of teamwork, special events, and a superior promotion of this Club, and Studebaker in a town that a couple of generations ago didn't embrace Studebaker at all.
Wow, that was long. Thanks for reading this far...

Yes,I did read it all.
And am violating my own policy of responding to negative threads.
But the highlighted sentence means a lot to me.
I remember 1971. ......Like it was yesterday.
Was in high school... Lost my dad the year before...
My best friend's dad painted my dad's (now mine) bondo'd '61 Hawk in his front yard (Blaze red lacquer with plenty of orange peel).
My high school car friend and I wanted to go to the SDC Int'l meet.
Heck, I didn't even know where South Bend was.... We left after school and my part time job at a gas station at 9:00pm.
Rolled into South Bend (or we thought it was South Bend) after midnight.
Asked where the Studebaker meet was. Nobody knew... Stopped at the Farmer's Market, dragged out a couple of pallets, and crawled into our sleeping bags... dog tired.
Were awakened at 5am before sunup to the sound of farmers trucks pulling in with produce. Got some strange looks..
Drove around looking for anything Studebaker meet related. Couple motels had letters up on their billboard signs.
Made a couple wrong turns and went down some side streets... People actually jeered us and a couple of rocks were thrown at us. How welcoming!
Finally found SASCO and it was heaven. Six stories of digging through stuff. And me with only $45 in cash and needing gas to get home.
Bought some goodies. Found a motel that had Stude's in the parking lot. Went to the back of the parking lot and stretched a hammock out between two tree's.
Slept great that night until the T-storms rolled in, and then found out how a Hawk is not a great camper for two guys.
Found the show grounds and had a great time. Memories seared into my feeble brain....even 45 years later...
Flash forward to today...
I find it embarrassing to see the only rocks getting thrown now are NOT from the South Bend people, but from our very own club members.

studeguy54
05-15-2017, 06:19 PM
......everything else was a flop..........The swap meet, the car show, the 196 car parade, the cruise night, the comraderie????? What banquet has there ever been where the presentation of whatever was being celebrated came BEFORE being fed?
Giving an opinion as to what you thought was missing is good feedback, calling the show "....a flop" is downright rude and an insult to those who worked hard on it.
Some car shows have t shirts made up, Steve would have complained if the shirt didn't have his car depicted.
Enough said, kudos to those who volunteered countless hours.

Tim,

Thank you for your kind words. It seems that no matter how much time is expended on planning a meet of this nature, it's not going to be meet someone'sexpectations, and that's unfortunate, as there are too few people in this club anymore who either want to do the work necessary to put on a successful meet and/or volunteer to help.

Thank you again.

Steve-o-Reno
05-17-2017, 01:01 PM
I have helped with 2 International Meets and a few zone meets, so I know, so I'm judging this meet with ours.
I meant at the banquet, draw the RED ticket numbers AFTER the meal, so if you didn't want to listen to the BS you could leave.
I apologize for calling it a "FLOP" that was not the correct word. I should have said "A DISAPPOINTMENT"

And tim333 you seem to have the wrong impression of me. I WASN'T EXPECTING A "T-SHIRT WITH MY CAR ON IT" but I was expecting a mug.
Shame on you!!

53willys
07-02-2017, 10:24 AM
my thoughts on the meet were as follows, to have a national planned while school is still in session was a questionable move, families that bring their children were excluded until late fri/sat if attending at all ( i may be wrong but it seemed to me to be the smallest attendance of any s.b. meet i have attended), i vended outside, arrived early on tues. and mostly because of weather, waited 3 1/2 hrs to even be shown where to set-up. so i did the next best thing and helped inside set-up of tables, no problem there, the weather as previously mentioned is always questionable that early in may , if the local officials i voiced my opinions to as well as milt the director of vendor communications would eliminate the spring swap for a better time to schedule the nats when in s.b, would favorably help attendance and avoid most of the weather issues, overall i had one of my better shows vending, but only because over 1/2 were pre=sold items, otherwise this would have been a very poor selling show, the long vendors night would benefit vendors if all who come to this show were allowed access, not just registered meet participants, as it is, i will wait until next scheduled nats in s. bend as to whether or not attend as a vendor or participant, or just plan another show instead, i dont want to step on anyones toes, but i talked to many other vendors who feel the same, thanks to those who read with an open mind, my intent is to improve by pointing out where improvement can be addressed, thanks, doug

Bob Henning
07-02-2017, 09:49 PM
my thoughts on the meet were as follows, to have a national planned while school is still in session was a questionable move, families that bring their children were excluded until late fri/sat if attending at all ( i may be wrong but it seemed to me to be the smallest attendance of any s.b. meet i have attended), i vended outside, arrived early on tues. and mostly because of weather, waited 3 1/2 hrs to even be shown where to set-up. so i did the next best thing and helped inside set-up of tables, no problem there, the weather as previously mentioned is always questionable that early in may , if the local officials i voiced my opinions to as well as milt the director of vendor communications would eliminate the spring swap for a better time to schedule the nats when in s.b, would favorably help attendance and avoid most of the weather issues, overall i had one of my better shows vending, but only because over 1/2 were pre=sold items, otherwise this would have been a very poor selling show, the long vendors night would benefit vendors if all who come to this show were allowed access, not just registered meet participants, as it is, i will wait until next scheduled nats in s. bend as to whether or not attend as a vendor or participant, or just plan another show instead, i dont want to step on anyones toes, but i talked to many other vendors who feel the same, thanks to those who read with an open mind, my intent is to improve by pointing out where improvement can be addressed, thanks, doug

Doug,
Thanks for your input, and for your candor. As the Co-Chair of this Meet, I appreciate it. I will PM you.

WLB
07-02-2017, 11:26 PM
This year was my first National and my wife and I enjoyed it very much, hope to make it next year.