Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Remember Syracuse Studebaker dealer Harry Howlett????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Remember Syracuse Studebaker dealer Harry Howlett????????

Hi All, I am new to the forum. I am trying to trace my grandfather, Harry Howlett who owned Harry Howlett Motors in Syracuse from 1944 to 1950. His business partner was a man named Hawley E Van Swall and his wife, also in the business was Leona Howlett. It seems they sold a lot of Studebakers during that run. If anyone has any recollection or connection to Harry, Leona or Hawley please reply here...Thank you!

Apparently! http://studebaker-info.org/Dealers/page1.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	howlett1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1713485 Click image for larger version

Name:	harryhowlettSYR1945a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1713486

And welcome to our forum!
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have no information for you, except that it is likely my grandfather bought his '52 Land Cruiser from your grandfather's dealership.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

I discovered a sales letter from your grandfather sent to Studebaker owners in Syracuse in 1945. It was in a collection of old papers belonging to my late father-in-law. The dealership was located on Erie Boulevard at that time, but later was relocated to a building at 321 Onondaga St, just outside downtown Syracuse.

I will try to attach a couple of photos here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3C7AEEDB-007F-4679-BA02-5D71A9ECCC33.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1827761
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow, I lived in Syracuse back in the late 70s to early 80s, and recall Erie Blvd and Onondaga Street quite well. Erie woulda been a good place for any car dealership. Your letter speaks to the times as they were right after WWII. Thanks for sharing it here!

Comment

Working...
          X