PDA

View Full Version : 1959 Lark Backup Lights

creegster
05-03-2017, 02:49 PM
HI, I just became the owner of a 1959 Lark Hardtop!

I just realized it doesnt have backup lights. I think those were optional for that model?

some questions:

1) Anyone have a set I can buy? Can be reproduction (but I doubt those exist)
2) Where exactly should they be positioned? I want drill the holes correctly.

Thank you in advance

RadioRoy
05-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Welcome to the forum. Cool car, too!
There are two different styles of back up lights for a 59 Lark. One is for a station wagon and will not fit properly on your hard top, so beware.

Here is the wrong one. The chrome is angled to match the angle of the tail gate. The ones for your car will have a chrome bezel that is much flatter than this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-61-62-STUDEBAKER-WAGON-BACKUP-LIGHT-ORIGINAL-102620-/361895592750?hash=item5442a8832e:g:3acAAOSwjDZYiUa6&vxp=mtr

There is also someone in the club who has all/most of the installation instructions, including where to drill the holes and connect the wires. Someone else will chime in and say who that is.

Many of the older cars had the backup light wired to the headlights, so backups only came on when the headlights were on. For modern use, I would wire them so they come on any time the car is in reverse. Modern drivers will appreciate this.

StudeRich
05-03-2017, 03:45 PM
Here is what they SHOULD look like:

63885 63886 63887 63888
They should straddle the Rear Panel to Fender Seam.
All '59 to '61 Lark Non-Wagon backup Lights are the same and were optional and rarely ordered.

Skip Lackie
05-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Be aware that the switches are different for automatic and standard shift.

creegster
05-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Thanks everyone-
I will wait to hear back with someone who knows where to drill the holes.
Next questions are:

1) Where can I find these lights (I will check Ebay of course unless there is somewhere better)
2) I probably need the reverse light switch as well. Dont think that would be installed on the column already if this one didnt need it, right?
3) to complicate things, I have a TH350 trans, so the shift points dont line up with the shifter points on the column. So Im going to have to figure that out...

Thanks for all the advice!

RadioRoy
05-03-2017, 05:03 PM
You should buy the body parts catalog and the chassis parts catalog for your car. They are full of illustrations showing all the parts and how they connect to the other parts, the correct name of the parts and the part numbers. Studebaker vendors use these part numbers to assure ordering and receiving the correct part.

StudeRich
05-03-2017, 05:11 PM
You do or DID have the correct switch for the Automatic Trans. Neutral Switch and Backup Lights under the dash on the Column if the Car originally had Automatic Trans.
Of course it may not work with a GM Trans.

creegster
05-03-2017, 07:06 PM
You should buy the body parts manual and the chassis parts manual for your car. They are full of illustrations showing all the parts and how they connect to the other parts, the correct name of the parts and the part numbers. Studebaker vendors use these part numbers to assure ordering and receiving the correct part.

There doesnt happen to be an online version of these books, does there?

RadioRoy
05-03-2017, 08:22 PM
There doesnt happen to be an online version of these books, does there?

Meaning no offense, if you think you might be a CASO, the books are also reproduced on a CD, which is cheaper. Once you use them a few times, you will be glad you purchased them.

CASO = cheap a$$ Studebaker owner. Some are proud to wear the badge. :)

creegster
05-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Meaning no offense, if you think you might be a CASO, the books are also reproduced on a CD, which is cheaper. Once you use them a few times, you will be glad you purchased them.

CASO = cheap a$$ Studebaker owner. Some are proud to wear the badge. :)

HA! I like it. :D
I would likely use the digital version for research, and print out the pages I need to take to the garage. If its better to have the printed version, I can go ahead and order that.

StudeRich
05-03-2017, 09:52 PM
They are the same, no need to spend the extra huge amount for 3 Books unless you have no Computer to view it, or like to have a impressive Library of Automotive Books! ;)

55 56 PREZ 4D
05-04-2017, 12:02 AM
The CDs are available from "Studebaker International" as well as many other sources.
http://www.studebakervendors.com/ will give you some idea of sources for Studebaker stuff.

creegster
05-04-2017, 01:02 AM
...and there's a shop manual in the trunk. A bit tattered, but mostly there. :-)

creegster
05-04-2017, 01:03 AM
Back to my original question: where can I purchase the light assemblies?

RadioRoy
05-04-2017, 01:32 AM

The International meet is going on right at this minute in South Bend, Indiana. That's a good place to look. Since you are in L.A. you should check out the La Palma meet on Memorial day weekend. They have a big Studebaker car show and a swap meet of Studebaker parts right there during the show.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B45df795FN1ya3RGSzdkV2lMTGs/view

http://studebakersla.com/

jackb
05-04-2017, 09:18 AM
The CD versions are of questionable print clarity. Just Monday, I ordered a bunch of stuff and found 2 of my part numbers were off a digit. Some of the part numbers cannot be read accurately. Lucky for me the Stude vendor checked the numbers and corrected my order. I did find an unusual feature with my CD pages: if you click your mouse on a lower, open space on the page, it illuminates a light blue background that "can" help reading the part numbers. This could be a pain in ordering parts coming by mail...I wish I had original books....

StudeRich
05-04-2017, 12:11 PM
Jack, did you try "Control (+)" clicking the Page 4 Times?

Works for me.

SScopelli
05-04-2017, 12:32 PM

I may have a nice used set, not pitted, with lenses.

PM me with your email..

I'm in Phoenix, and I'm sure you can not make it out to South Bend for this big meet.

Memorial day weekend, there is the Studebaker car show at La Palma park, a few miles north of Disneyland. Good parts hunting there as well..

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a609/R2Whistler/R1%20Lark/100%20Missc/MexicanStandOff_zps3c22783d.jpg

Skip Lackie
05-04-2017, 05:38 PM
The CD versions are of questionable print clarity. Just Monday, I ordered a bunch of stuff and found 2 of my part numbers were off a digit. Some of the part numbers cannot be read accurately. Lucky for me the Stude vendor checked the numbers and corrected my order. I did find an unusual feature with my CD pages: if you click your mouse on a lower, open space on the page, it illuminates a light blue background that "can" help reading the part numbers. This could be a pain in ordering parts coming by mail...I wish I had original books....

I see original parts books for sale on eBay all the time -- for wildly different prices. One has to be patient and jump on those with reasonable prices.

creegster
05-04-2017, 08:31 PM
There was a printed version in the trunk, I think Im all set for the short term. :-)

55 56 PREZ 4D
05-04-2017, 11:50 PM

http://www.studebakervendors.com/ will give you some idea of sources for Studebaker stuff.

BILT4ME
05-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Congratulations Creegster!

The 59 2DHTP's are the BEST!

Mine is Hawaiian Green and has an automatic, but is all Studebaker.

Please make sure you register in the 59 Lark registry. Not many of the HT left.

creegster
05-06-2017, 12:14 AM
Can you point me to the HT registry? Where is that?

This is the second 59 HT Ive owned, I LOVE them.

55 56 PREZ 4D
05-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Can you point me to the HT registry? Where is that?

Top of this page, "Studebaker Drivers Club Home Page", left click.
Find "Resources", second listing from the bottom find "registries", left click.
About the middle of the list find "1959 Larks [all]
That may be the 59 Lark registry BILT4ME called out.

BILT4ME
05-08-2017, 11:43 AM
Where I was actually thinking of was the following location:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?96078-1959-Lark-Registry&highlight=Lark

However, I believe the same person (Bill Ozzard) is in charge of the 1959 Lark registry as a whole. If you post on the Forum, he will snag that info and place it where it needs to be.

A link to the reference above:
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/registries.asp

creegster
05-08-2017, 02:01 PM
I contacted Bill, waiting for a response.

Thanks!

creegster
06-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Does anyone know where to drill the holes for the backup lights? I know they go near the seam, and I took photos of the area on someone else's car at the La Palma meet, but it would be great to put them in the right spot, with the right-sized holes.

Thanks everyone

Warren Webb
06-04-2017, 12:43 AM
If you go to the main page you'll find under "resources" a list of templates you can order for a very reasonable cost. Just look for the correct "AC" number for your backup lights.

DieselJim
06-04-2017, 06:59 AM
I purchased a nos set for my 59 wagon from SI. Came with instructions to mount.

studefan
06-04-2017, 08:56 AM
Creegster, please check your PMs.

creegster
06-04-2017, 02:24 PM
If you go to the main page you'll find under "resources" a list of templates you can order for a very reasonable cost. Just look for the correct "AC" number for your backup lights.

Thanks Warren-

I dont see a link to any template on the resources page. I tried looking through some of the links on that page, but didnt have any luck. Is there a specific site that has that info?

creegster
06-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Creegster, please check your PMs.

Thanks Studefan- I was able to get a pair from SScopelli at the La Palma meet (thanks my friend!).

rockne10
06-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Sounds to me like creegster has yet to join the Studebaker Drivers Club. A lot of people think this forum is it! :ohmy: Or that this forum is the main web page of the SDC.

http://studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp

06-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Warren I have a 59 Lark wagon and also have a template. I would think that when mounting the lights the screw holes should be perpendicular with the bumper but if I mount mine the screw positions are like 10 and 5.
Could you send me some close up pictures with the lights mounted. Thanks very much.
Regards,
Mark

- - - Updated - - -

Diesel Jim I have a 59 Lark wagon and also have a template. I would think that when mounting the lights the screw holes should be perpendicular with the bumper but if I mount mine the screw positions are like 10 and 5.
Could you send me some close up pictures with the lights mounted. Thanks very much.
Regards,
Mark

DieselJim
06-27-2017, 10:22 PM
Warren I have a 59 Lark wagon and also have a template. I would think that when mounting the lights the screw holes should be perpendicular with the bumper but if I mount mine the screw positions are like 10 and 5.
Regards,
Mark
Diesel Jim I have a 59 Lark wagon and also have a template. I would think that when mounting the lights the screw holes should be perpendicular with the bumper but if I mount mine the screw positions are like 10 and 5.
Regards,
Mark
I have not mounted mine. Don't know if I will.