1957 Silver Hawk - new owner questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1957 Silver Hawk - new owner questions

Hi folks - I recently purchased a '57 Silver Hawk (with the V8). I've always loved this body style and owning one has been on my bucket list for years. Having said that, I am definitely not a "gear head" and I hope that this forum will be helpful in getting the information I need to maintain this vehicle and troubleshoot issues! My first 2 questions are: 1) does the gas need a lead additive, and if so, how much and how often? 2) Were there different trim styles for the Silver Hawk this year and, if so, how do I determine which mine is? (I would post a photo but it's snowing today and want to keep the car in the garage! Gotta love Colorado.)
    Thanks

Congrats! Hope you enjoy your Hawk. I have 3 ( 2 64s and a 61) and my wife has 2 ( a 62 and a 56 Sky Hawk) Studebaker went from 4 Hawks in 1956 to 2 in 1957. The Golden Hawk had a supercharged 289 cid V8 and the silver Hawk had a normally aspirated V8 or a 6. The former was a hardtop and the later a coupe. I prefer the coupe cause the rear windows work! I don't believe there was a lot of variation . The best way is to start shopping for old sales brochures . The Studebaker national museum may be able to give you a lot of valuable information. Most -if not all- lead additives are a waste of money. One quart of Diesel fuel per 10 gallons or non-oxygenated reg or premium is better than anything in a bottle. You can probably go on-line or ask club members where to by gas without moonshine in it. You don't want the grief that garbage can cause.

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum!
      1) I do not believe that your Hawk will need a lead additive (unless it was just rebuilt).
      2) All 1957 Silver Hawks were one trim level, C3 (except for the 120 hardtop models made, they were K3). For the coupes, there were 4163 six cylinder cars and 10,787 V8 cars.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My only question is this: Can you get Non-Ethanol Fuel there?
        If you can get Non-Ethanol fuel for the Hawk, GOOD. Because, that's the only thing I will run in my Stude.

Others will chime in and I'll sit back with popcorn.

Comment

Good idea, the nearest place is about 22 miles away - not sure I want to drive 44 miles round trip to get gas, may have to fill up some gas cans instead and bring them home.

Comment

Ethanol is Hydroscopic and does funky things to older fuel systems...... it's especially bad on weed eaters, lawn mowers, tractors, ultralight and light sport airplanes. Basically any engine that sits more than 60 days before having a full tank run thru.

Comment

Working...
            X