PDA

View Full Version : Alabama and old car titles

tbredehoft
05-03-2017, 11:29 AM
My son lives near Birmingham, Alabama, has been offered in exchange for a job of work, a 1960 Corvair Monza, last run 5 years ago, no title. He can get a bill of sale for it.
Is Alabama a state that doesn't require a title on an antique car? I seem to remember that titles obtained from Alabama for other states might be suspect, or was that Arkansas....?
Any way, What's he need to do?

j.byrd
05-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Tom B, I believe it is still pre-75 requires only a bill of sale and proof of insurance. Never a problem all the years we lived there. They are also not very concerned with which number you use as a "vin".... We have seen the cast or stamped on the engine build dates used as the "vin". !

StudebakerGene
05-03-2017, 12:57 PM
j.byrd is correct, 1975 and later for titles. I know this from buying a 1973 Monte Carlo there and paying cash for it. I hauled it back to Florida and attempted to get a tag and title for it. I found out it already had a Florida title issued to it and the previous owner still owed a finance company $3485.00 on it--- I gave it back to the finance company and never got a dime from the lot that sold it to me! Good deals aren't always what they seem I guess.

jackb
05-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Having gone through some nightmare title issues, I'd suggest the present owner get a good Alabama title, then transfer title to your son. I'm sure he can come to an arrangement in funds. At that time he can transfer title to whomever, or to whatever state requires one particular to that state. Some folks who wish to "flip" a vehicle never title a car due to loss of profit or laziness.....makes some new owners a lot of time & trouble at their local DMV....

FleetMaster68
05-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Sounds right, no titles older vehicles, just bill of sale. Other States do recognize this as valid transfer of ownership from Alabama- bought a couple cars from there to Indiana. An Alabama resident owned the cars and they were actively registered and insured, which may also be required for smooth transfer. Alabama BMV was most helpful with a letter outlining their laws regarding titles. Indiana BMV checked that against the NADA guide and all was happy. Have him confirm details with local BMV and decide if they are offering a good deal for his efforts

RadioRoy
05-03-2017, 01:58 PM
j.byrd is correct, 1975 and later for titles. I know this from buying a 1973 Monte Carlo there and paying cash for it. I hauled it back to Florida and attempted to get a tag and title for it. I found out it already had a Florida title issued to it and the previous owner still owed a finance company $3485.00 on it--- I gave it back to the finance company and never got a dime from the lot that sold it to me! Good deals aren't always what they seem I guess.

That situation really sucks.
A co worker bought and restored a 55 coupe years ago. Then he went to title it and found it was stolen. He lost all his money and time, too.

tbredehoft
05-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Thanks to all who replied, this gives him advice on how to approach it. Supposedly a good car, red leather interior, etc.

rockinhawk
05-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Georgia does not require titles for vehicles older than 1985. If you buy a non-titled car from Georgia,Have the owner put a current tag on it,then fill out a bill of sale. You should have no problem as long as the registration is current. I think Alabama works about the same way.

dleroux
05-03-2017, 08:03 PM
“That situation really sucks.
A co worker bought and restored a 55 coupe years ago. Then he went to title it and found it was stolen. He lost all his money and time, too.”

As I’ve said before, don’t find out the hard way. If the deal seems to be too good, however there isn’t any title, WALK AWAY. On the other hand if you know the parties involved & they just can’t find the title, file for a “provisional” title and start doing whatever work the car needs. After (3) years the DMV will issue a clean title. Better to do it that way than to find out you wasted your time on a car that is stolen.

JoeW
05-27-2017, 09:15 AM
Having registered a dozen old cars in Alabama, I can tell you the procedure. First you have the car inspected by a police officer to verify the serial number. When the officer does this he checks the number on his computer to make sure the car is not stolen. Then you take the inspection report and insurance card and bill of sale to the DMV and a registration is issued. If you want an vintage vehicle license plate or use an original year plate the fee is $12.50 and is good for life. There is no renewal. The vintage vehicle category is valid on vehicles older than 30 years.

colt45sa
05-29-2017, 08:53 AM
My son lives near Birmingham, Alabama, has been offered in exchange for a job of work, a 1960 Corvair Monza, last run 5 years ago, no title. He can get a bill of sale for it.
Is Alabama a state that doesn't require a title on an antique car? I seem to remember that titles obtained from Alabama for other states might be suspect, or was that Arkansas....?
Any way, What's he need to do? He needs to get a valid, Notarized Bill of Sale and a copy of the seller's most recent registration showing that the seller is in fact the owner. He should then be good in any title state.

Silverplate
05-29-2017, 09:06 AM
and somehow this has to do with Studebakers....

tbredehoft
05-29-2017, 12:04 PM

Well, no. I knew Studebaker owners could answer the question, so I asked.

I was right, many good answers.

rockinhawk
05-29-2017, 02:23 PM
and somehow this has to do with Studebakers.... In my past life this situation has had a LOT to do with Studebakers. Both mine and other club members that I have assisted.
Information is always good.

SScopelli
05-29-2017, 08:01 PM

I agree, especially when it states, "Corvair Monza.." and that he will exchange labor for the car.. There are minimum wage laws in effect and unless the total labor spent by said individual does not exceed 30 min, said person is being taken advantage of..

Also, I would suggest the original post to contact the Alabama MVD for any legal advice as to what it takes to clear up this mess.

While forum members are full of knowledge in matters of Studebaker's, the fact that

Twenty-three states and the District of Columbia have a DMV. But of those 24 DMVs, two – Colorado and Delaware – are a Division of Motor Vehicles.

Five states have MVD, Alabama, Arizona, Iowa, Montana and New Mexico.

Three states – Indiana, Maine and Ohio – have a Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).

If all 50 states can not agree on DMV vs MVD vs BMV, why would you think they all have the same rules about cars with no titles?

But hey! why don't I just google that for you?

Click here for abandon ==> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+get+an+abandoned+title+in+alabama

Click here for bonded ==> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+get+a+bonded+title+in+alabama

Silverplate
05-29-2017, 08:29 PM
In my past life this situation has had a LOT to do with Studebakers. Both mine and other club members that I have assisted.
Information is always good.

My point all is this section is called General Studebaker Specific Discussion, it is not Studebaker related. This topic should have been posted in the Stove Huggers section which is Non Stufebaker Forum. Moderators or moderator should move these type posts.