No announcement yet.

Flightomatic problems after fluid change '61 Lark 259

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Flightomatic problems after fluid change '61 Lark 259

Thought I was doing a good thing to change fluid and filter on my '61 lark V-8 FOM for first time. FOM had operated fine for many years (except for no kickdown, which I assumed was misadjusted control rod and never bothered to fix). First of all, on removing the pan, a small angled piece of light tubing drops off and a strap hangs down. These are not discussed in the shop manual but the strap appears to hold the filter in place and the tubing seems to hold the strap in place when put into some depressions in the casting, very precariously. In any event, the replacement filter I bought was reversed from my installed one which would have required it to have the screen upward instead of downward. Since the old filter looked good, I just cleaned it and reinstalled it. I never could find the plug in the torque converter, so I could not drain it. I put a new gasket on the pan and refilled the FOM pretty much as specified but with less fluid since the torque converter was presumably full of fluid. After it was full, I drove it and it seemed to operate normally at first but began slipping badly after 1/2 mile. I added another quart (on the side of the road) which reduced the slippage a lot and when I got back home I checked the level and it was full. Unfortunately, it slips occasionally now and starts in third gear instead of second most of the time. I have no experience with automatic transmissions. Can someone tell me what the heck happened? Thanks in advance.

I believe that you probably have the incorrect quantity of fluid in the transmission. Are you checking it correctly - per the Studebaker manuals? What type of fluid did you use?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I checked it in drive, fully warmed up and after running through positions. I used Dextron/Mercon as I have always used.

Comment

If she is starting off in 3d, then you have managed to get some dirt stuck either in the governor or elsewhere in the valve body. Sorry, but they will likely have to be taken apart and cleaned if it does not work through on its own. The fact that the car will not kick down is as you noted indication that the throttle linkage needs adjusted. That is important not only to provide kickdown, but also to provide suffficient internal operating pressures under different conditions--the trans braces itself for the anticipated load, so to speak. It is important to get that corrected for longevity.

Comment

I have been driving the car a few times since the fluid change and have carefully noted how the transmission acts. It does actually start in 2nd gear, which is when it slips and shudders when first starting but only if accelerating normally to hard. When starting very gently, it does not slip. The shift to third gear is very soft. There is no slippage in reverse, low or third gear.

Although I appreciate the dirt possibility, I would like to make sure about the purpose of the tube which holds the filter strap in place. Does anyone know if that tube is supposed to be carrying fluid, because it certainly isn't doing that where I put it? Maybe I have mis-installed the tube??? Thanks in advance for any help on this question.

Comment

Yes it is to be carrying fluid, and if it has been "unplugged" at one end, you now have a massive internal oil leak which will cause no end of shifting and other difficulties.

Comment

In the 62 to 64 Shop manual under sub assembly replacement unit in car page 21 shows all the tubes and their placement. I am assuming that the one that you mentioned is # 4 , that tube is installed into a small hole in the rear pump housing. Sorry that I don't have a way to scan that page into this forum. Lou Cote

Comment

Here is is. I hope this helps.
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02183.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	1713862Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02188.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1713863
                  Does this help?
                  Steve
                  Last edited by Steve Winzar; 05-29-2017, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much Christophe and Steve. This should help a lot once I can get the car back on the lift in a few days.

Comment

You're welcome.
                      I've found another one.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X