no more turbo lag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no more turbo lag?

As electric cars get more popular, the internal combustion engineers up their game.

A similar thing happened in electronics on the 60's. As transistors took over, the tube engineers upped their game to compete.

RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Well, they got as good as pea tubes and "Nuvistor", but you don't get to matching the Xeon from there.

OTOH, it's nifty to see an electronic turbocharger that's a real deal instead of some J.C. Whitney or other snake oil gimmick….
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

So, now that more cars will be 48 volts, are we staying with negative ground (earth for you Anglophiles) or is the polarity going to change too? Since so many in this age seem to think they are supposed disconnect the positive (lead) cable first, we may need to.

Comment

Most modern electronics designs use negative ground, so we will probably stay with that.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
          So, now that more cars will be 48 volts, are we staying with negative ground (earth for you Anglophiles) or is the polarity going to change too? Since so many in this age seem to think they are supposed disconnect the positive (lead) cable first, we may need to.
          You should always disconnect the ground first.
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Whether pos or neg, the ground should indeed be last connected, first disconnected.

Five years ago I took my youngest son to a skid recovery course put on by Bridgestone Tires. The classes given also included some maintenance subjects while other groups were on the skid course. In one of those, the instructor told the kids to disconnect the cables backwards. I did call him out on it and ended up spending quite a while showing him why his method would get these kids possibly hurt or worse. He claimed this was the SOP in the shop where he worked. I said he needed to get ahold of OSHA regs and read them. I gave him my card to send up the line but nothing ever came of it.

Comment

Working...
            X