Jack and location '62/'63 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack and location '62/'63 Hawk

Would someone please show me type of jack and how stowed in Hawks, these were only things inside trunk when I bought car. Thanks
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1753926

Name:	jack 2.JPG
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	1753927

Name:	Jack 3.JPG
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1753928

Ron Your missing the jack. What you have there is the base to the jack and what maybe someone used as the handle to the jack. It mounts on the rt side of the car between the wheel housing and the tail light behind the spare tire. The first picture you have the piece just behind the wheel is part of the jack mount.

Comment

This is in my '53 coupe, but should be pretty much the same.

Name:	P4290056.JPG
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1713416 Click image for larger version

Name:	P4290055.JPG
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1713417 Click image for larger version

Name:	P4290054.JPG
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1713418
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Whatever you do, DON'T ever consider using the original jack to actually lift the car, they are incredibly unstable and most likely won't lift your car high enough to be able to change a tire anyway. I carry a bottle jack, have never had to use it, but you never know.

Comment

Granted bottle jack, scissor jack or floor jack are more stable, but on many Studebakers it will still not allow you to remove the tire from under the rear fender well. You might need someone to heft on the back bumper or use the pumper jack in conjunction with the other. In other words don't leave home without it, or you might be sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
            ... DON'T ever consider using the original jack to actually lift the car, they are incredibly unstable and most likely won't lift your car high enough to be able to change a tire anyway.
            You are right about the instability but, I can't tell you how many times those of us who grew up with these cars had to use those bumper jacks.
            Brad Johnson,
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Ron:

IMHO, it looks like almost everything you had in the trunk is incorrect. If you look on page 492 of the 1959-1964 Chassis Parts Catalog, you'll see the jack base and post as Figure 1812-5C for all 1961-1964 C-K models. The jack handle and wheel wrench should have a bend in it about 1/3 of the way towards the flattened end used to remove hubcaps and the cross-section of the jack post is V-shaped.

My 1962 GT has the 1812-5C in it and it's held in place with a clamp and a large wing nut as shown in the photos below. The spare tire is held in place with the jack base upside down and a 1/2"-13 UNC x 6-1/4" bolt and washer through it. See page 220 of the 1959-1964 Body Parts Catalog.

Your jack base has a trapezoidal hole in it but it looks different from the Figure 1812-5D.

Hope this helps.

Bill L.

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1713438

Name:	IMG_1354.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1713439
              Bill L.
              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Good advice.
                Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                Whatever you do, DON'T ever consider using the original jack to actually lift the car, they are incredibly unstable and most likely won't lift your car high enough to be able to change a tire anyway. I carry a bottle jack, have never had to use it, but you never know.
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

Shouldn't there be a nut welded under the trunk for the 6 1/4 bolt?.....mine (64 GT) doesn't?
                  Originally posted by 56GH View Post
                  Ron:

IMHO, it looks like almost everything you had in the trunk is incorrect. If you look on page 492 of the 1959-1964 Chassis Parts Catalog, you'll see the jack base and post as Figure 1812-5C for all 1961-1964 C-K models. The jack handle and wheel wrench should have a bend in it about 1/3 of the way towards the flattened end used to remove hubcaps and the cross-section of the jack post is V-shaped.

My 1962 GT has the 1812-5C in it and it's held in place with a clamp and a large wing nut as shown in the photos below. The spare tire is held in place with the jack base upside down and a 1/2"-13 UNC x 6-1/4" bolt and washer through it. See page 220 of the 1959-1964 Body Parts Catalog.

Your jack base has a trapezoidal hole in it but it looks different from the Figure 1812-5D.

Hope this helps.

Bill L.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63828[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63829[/ATTACH]
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

There is on my 1962 GT.

Bill L.
                    Bill L.
                    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

It may not be correct but I finished inside trunk and put insulation under hood today. Like I said before this is my driver not a show car.

Name:	Hood 1.JPG
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1713450 1/2" foil and foam insulation

Name:	Hood 2.JPG
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1713452To keep the road noise out

Name:	Hood 4.JPG
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1713453Works for me

Name:	Hood 3.JPG
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	1713454Now to find a bumper jack, not that I'll ever use it...I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                        Shouldn't there be a nut welded under the trunk for the 6 1/4 bolt?.....mine (64 GT) doesn't?
                        Yes; for holding down the spare tire. That's one set of threads that benefits from an application of anti-seize. I've had my '53 for over forty years and, at one point, I hadn't used the spare in so long that the bolt seized to the trunk pan and getting it apart tore the captured nut from the pan. This was repaired in the restoration, since it required removal of the gas tank. Both bolt and nut are now part of my standard lubrication list.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Ron:

See PM.

Bill
                          Bill L.
                          1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Thank You....that what I thought.
                            Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                            Yes; for holding down the spare tire. That's one set of threads that benefits from an application of anti-seize. I've had my '53 for over forty years and, at one point, I hadn't used the spare in so long that the bolt seized to the trunk pan and getting it apart tore the captured nut from the pan. This was repaired in the restoration, since it required removal of the gas tank. Both bolt and nut are now part of my standard lubrication list.
                            Lou Van Anne
                            62 Champ
                            64 R2 GT Hawk
                            79 Avanti II

Comment

Where can I get the bracket to hold jack in place on my 67 hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X