High octane fuels coming back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High octane fuels coming back?

Now that the new engine for my Avanti is going together with low compression pistons...ugh.

I'll bet the NEXT time I build an engine, fuels will be going back to low octane...now you know another reason why I don't buy lottery tickets.

Ken Buchanan

Are they not staying with the Standard E-10 87 Reg., 89 (1/2 & 1/2) Mid Grade, and 92 or 93 Premium, that varies slightly in most Low altitude States, and a LOT in High Altitude?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

68 years too late for the Commander OHV V8.
      Mark L

Comment

I paid $6.99/gallon for super-premium 100 octane fuel a couple weeks back in the bay area for my Avanti.
        64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

I heard yesterday that their is supposed to be a new ethanol free fuel for boats , Maybe this will transfer over to collector cars , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Are they not staying with the Standard E-10 87 Reg., 89 (1/2 & 1/2) Mid Grade, and 92 or 93 Premium, that varies slightly in most Low altitude States, and a LOT in High Altitude?

Haven't you heard???

There's a new sheriff in town who's clipped the EPA's wings not to mention that the new EPA administrator is car/fuel friendly…

Comment

fuel

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
              I heard yesterday that their is supposed to be a new ethanol free fuel for boats , Maybe this will transfer over to collector cars , Ed
              Gasoline with no ethanol has been around for quite some time now. Marathon refines it but it is sold at many locations without brand i.d. and is called 'Rec-90'. There are at least 7 places where I can buy it within a couple of miles of my house including a Sunoco station, a Shell station, and a couple of unbranded stations. It's mostly sold for boating use but many collector car owners have found it and use it.

Comment

Originally posted by colt45sa View Post
                Gasoline with no ethanol has been around for quite some time now. Marathon refines it but it is sold at many locations without brand i.d. and is called 'Rec-90'. There are at least 7 places where I can buy it within a couple of miles of my house including a Sunoco station, a Shell station, and a couple of unbranded stations. It's mostly sold for boating use but many collector car owners have found it and use it.
                Unfortunately not in my neck of the woods...
                Dean Seavers
                Sacramento, CA

Comment

Originally posted by voxnut View Post
                  Unfortunately not in my neck of the woods...
                  The State of Cali still has their old sheriff...the stupidity lingers on here and probably will for a long while...likely longer than I.

Comment

Not around here unless you find racing fuel , Ed

Comment

Non-ethanol gas is getting more prevalent here all the time. I think there is at least 4 stations selling it in Great Falls, Mt. I think you have to make your needs known and hassle them constantly to get it. Its available everywhere albeit at a cost, so that is no excuse except lack of demand. Car clubs, farmers and contractors with numerous small air cooled engines have demanded it in this area and the squeaky wheel seems to have gotten the grease once again.

Comment

Non ethanol is available at wawa and some others here on fl.
                        78 Avanti RQB 2792
                        64 Avanti R1 R5408
                        63 Avanti R1 R4551
                        63 Avanti R1 R2281
                        62 GT Hawk V15949
                        56 GH 6032504
                        56 GH 6032588
                        55 Speedster 7160047
                        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

http://pure-gas.org/ for ethanol free stations
                          google 100 octane and your state or race gas for high octane locations.

Comment

I'm sure non-ethanol gas is available in lots of places, and its availability may even be growing. But the fact remains that it is not available in the urban/suburban areas in which the majority of the population lives. The use of oxygenated fuels in areas that could not meet air quality standards was mandated by Congress more than 20 years ago, though the implementation details were left up to the EPA and could presumably be changed without Congressional action. And I know some people are able to buy aviation, boat, or recreational vehicle fuel for their vehicles -- but such use may or not be legal, depending on whether the federal highway use tax is charged and what kind of vehicle such fuel is put into.

As has been discussed before, it would be really nice if the govt would actually fund a study about whether oxygenated fuels make the air cleaner, and at what cost. But Congress has prohibited such a study -- they prefer to use lobbying money as a measure of goodness.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

I have been buying pure gasoline at a Liberty station in Charles Town, WV for some years. It used to be $.20/gallon higher than 87 octane ethanol tainted, but recently went to $.30. I buy it for my small engine equipment and haven't tried it in my daily driver. One day when I was filling my gas cans a man pulled in behind me and filled his Jeep Cherokee with the pure gas. He said he got enough better gas mileage to make it worthwhile to drive 10 miles to the station and pay the extra cost.
                              I understand there are several stations in Winchester, VA (about 25 miles from me) selling regular and premium real gas, but I haven't checked them out.
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X