Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What power steering fluid do you use for your 55 stude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: What power steering fluid do you use for your 55 stude?

Maybe it's time to check the power steering fluid level ... With all the marks on the floor, and noise when I turn the wheel ,,,it ' s time to check the fluid level ... Thank you Mike

Originally it called for type A ATF, no longer available. The closest thing available now is type F ATF, which I use in my '54. I do this partly out of convenience so the same spare quart in the trunk can be used in the transmission or steering.
    Some folks say that the new steering fluids are better, and have made the switch to them. I'm sure they'll post their recommendation for a more modern fluid.
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Power steering fluid wasn't a "thing" when they were first introduced in the early 50s. Now after many decades of systems, they actually have a designed and engineered fluid for automotive steering systems. Take advantage of it. Technology advances and things actually get better, despte what some grumpy old man says, and advice that they've always done it this way!.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Contrary to the above opinion, the PS unit in my '55 was designed to use ATF when it was built. It hasn't been upgraded to use modern fluids, why should I think it would benefit from them? I use the same fluid I use in my transmission, Dex Merc or whatever its' called.

Comment

I use Dexron in my power steering systems, as well as in my automatic transmissions. I have traced the lineage of Dexron back to type A. In my opinion, Type F was a diversion along the evolutionary path, so I use Dexron.

If your power steering system is leaking from the pump/reservoir, check the bolt heads in the bottom of the reservoir, where the reservoir is attached to the pump. You can reach them with a CLEAN socket set into the fluid without even emptying the reservoir. Mine were loose and all they needed was to be tightened.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 04-23-2017, 11:45 AM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            I use Dexron in my power steering systems, as well as in my automatic transmissions. I have traced the lineage of Dexron back to type A. In my opinion, Type F was a diversion along the evolutionary path, so I use Dexron.

If your power steering system is leaking from the pump/reservoir, check the bolt heads in the bottom of the reservoir, where the reservoir is attached to the pump. You can reach them with a CLEAN socket set into the fluid without even emptying the reservoir. Mine were loose and all they needed was to be tightened.
            Great tip on tightening the reservoir bolts. Thanks for the info. I can still get type F from my local FLAP so I use it for the steering and tranny but Dexron is a good choice if F is not available.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
              Contrary to the above opinion, the PS unit in my '55 was designed to use ATF when it was built. It hasn't been upgraded to use modern fluids, why should I think it would benefit from them? I use the same fluid I use in my transmission, Dex Merc or whatever its' called.
              Similarly, most solid lifter equipped engines of the 50s-60s used non-detergent oil. Only engines with hydraulic lifters were thought to need the more expensive, detergent oil. Nobody runs that stuff anymore because oil technology has came a long way. So has PS fluid. I have been using STP brand PS fluid in all Stude PS systems since 1997, both Saginaw and Bendix, and it does everything better than ATF. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it!

OTOH, I avoid PS fluid with stop leak additives at all cost.

Comment

There is a major difference between type "A" & type "F" ATFs. The main difference is in the additives for clutch pack lock up. Type "A" fluid was designed for GM type transmissions & type "F" fluids for FoMoCo transmissions. GM type "A" oils have a "friction modifier" additive which allows a more gradual clutch pack lock up for a "smoother" shift feel. GM transmissions are/were purposely designed & engineered this way & for this type "A" fluid. FoMoCos were not & used a very different clutch plate composition material & therefore should use only type "F" fluids. I'm referring only to the GM & FoMoCos of the era in which Studebakers were made & shortly thereafter. The more modern ATFs like Dexron etc.,I believe,are closer to the "old" type "A" oil. Type "F" fluid should be used in transmissions which call for it or in competition or modified applications where a quicker lock up may be perceived to be beneficial. As for power steering or hydraulic pump applications, all ATFs (of the day) had/have(?) seal softening/limbering additives which may or may not be welcome in certain applications. Unless experimenting it is always best to follow manufactures specs as near as possible. Having said that, I wouldn't worry about a "misplaced" quart of either type "A" or type "F" in any transmission as there is always 10 or more quarts of the right oil in there to mix with it & obscure any supposed detrimental effects. Rattletrap Wil

Comment

My '55 power steering gets the same ATF that I use in my DG250M automatic transmission. No problems. Still works like the day it was new.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                    Originally it called for type A ATF, no longer available. The closest thing available now is type F ATF, which I use in my '54. I do this partly out of convenience so the same spare quart in the trunk can be used in the transmission or steering.
                    Some folks say that the new steering fluids are better, and have made the switch to them. I'm sure they'll post their recommendation for a more modern fluid.
                    Mr. Guess,

Type A ATF is still available, as I just picked up 5 qts. last week. I'm not certain what flaps you have in your area, but any of them should be able to special order in the product for you. If not, let me know and I can get you some.
                    Bo

Comment

Thanks Bo,
                      I'll see if my local guy can get it. If not I'll give you a shout.
                      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

[QUOTE=Rattletrap Wil;1051102]There is a major difference between type "A" & type "F" ATFs. The main difference is in the additives for clutch pack lock up. Type "A" fluid was designed for GM type transmissions & type "F" fluids for FoMoCo transmissions. GM type "A" oils have a "friction modifier" additive which allows a more gradual clutch pack lock up for a "smoother" shift feel. GM transmissions are/were purposely designed & engineered this way & for this type "A" fluid. FoMoCos were not & used a very different clutch plate composition material & therefore should use only type "F" fluids. I'm referring only to the GM & FoMoCos of the era in which Studebakers were made & shortly thereafter. The more modern ATFs like Dexron etc.,I believe,are closer to the "old" type "A" oil. Type "F" fluid should be used in transmissions which call for it or in competition or modified applications where a quicker lock up may be perceived to be beneficial. As for power steering or hydraulic pump applications, all ATFs (of the day) had/have(?) seal softening/limbering additives which may or may not be welcome in certain applications. Unless experimenting it is always best to follow manufactures specs as near as possible. Having said that, I wouldn't worry about a "misplaced" quart of either type "A" or type "F" in any transmission as there is always 10 or more quarts of the right oil in there to mix with it & obscure any supposed detrimental effects. Rattletrap Wil[/QUO The clutch composition in my 64 automatic was solid brass, so I assume the Ford was the same. So since modern rebuild kits do use composition discs, the trans rebuilder had me use dexron 3 or 4. So an original trans might not necessarily use the same fluid as a rebuilt.

Comment

Working...
                        X