Number of wagonaires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Number of wagonaires

Is there info available on the number of 1964 Daytona wagonaires with 289 engine and sliding roof that were produced at south bend only ?

Originally posted by rbigcal View Post
    Is there info available on the number of 1964 Daytona Wagonaires with 289 engine and sliding roof that were produced at South Bend only ?
    No, Calvin; 1964 South Bend V8 production records have never been mined, one at a time, for that information.

It could be done and a positive number known, but I would estimate that it would take one person the better part of a full work week to cull all 20,000-odd 1964 South Bend V8 production records to answer that question.

My cousin George Krem might be able to give you a better estimate of the time involved, in that he has done just that to determined a few basic specifics of all the 1964 "F" body V8s built; Commander V8 and Challenger V8 2-door sedans. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 04-23-2017, 03:24 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

There were 11,915 wagons built for the 1964 model year. Of these, 4421 were domestic. There was no Vernon/LA, CA production by that time. I believe that the vast majority were Wagonaires. Of those, my guesstimate is that about half were Daytonas with 289s. These would yield my guess of 2000 to answer your question.

As Bob P. pointed out, you could go through all of the production records for the 1964 model year, at least up to the end of Dec. 1963, to get the exact number.

Fred Fox Feature Articles in Turning Wheels MAY have some more detailed information. I am not going to look it up.

Are you just curious or is there some other reason that you ask this?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        There were 11,915 wagons built for the 1964 model year. Of these, 4421 were domestic.
        Is this accurate or a typo? Surely the domestic figure was a larger percentage of the total than this. You're not really saying that 2/3rds of wagon production were exports, are you?
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          Is this accurate or a typo? Surely the domestic figure was a larger percentage of the total than this. You're not really saying that 2/3rds of wagon production were exports, are you?
          I believe that Gary is referring to Canadian production.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            I believe that Gary is referring to Canadian production.
            Yes, that is why I used the terms "built" and "production". The original poster asked about South Bend build. Keep in mind that 1964s were only built in South Bend in the 1963 calendar year.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              There were 11,915 wagons built for the 1964 model year. Of these, 4421 were domestic. There was no Vernon/LA, CA production by that time. I believe that the vast majority were Wagonaires. Of those, my guesstimate is that about half were Daytonas with 289s. These would yield my guess of 2000 to answer your question.

As Bob P. pointed out, you could go through all of the production records for the 1964 model year, at least up to the end of Dec. 1963, to get the exact number.

Fred Fox Feature Articles in Turning Wheels MAY have some more detailed information. I am not going to look it up.

Are you just curious or is there some other reason that you ask this?

When I take the car to car shows there are always people that ask "how many of these were made" So I wanted to get accurate info and I was thinking about having a sign made with facts about the car.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                No, Calvin; 1964 South Bend V8 production records have never been mined, one at a time, for that information.

It could be done and a positive number known, but I would estimate that it would take one person the better part of a full work week to cull all 20,000-odd 1964 South Bend V8 production records to answer that question.

My cousin George Krem might be able to give you a better estimate of the time involved, in that he has done just that to determined a few basic specifics of all the 1964 "F" body V8s built; Commander V8 and Challenger V8 2-door sedans. BP
                For some reason I didn't get a email telling me there were replies' so I just found that I did have replies. Anyway in a post from 2008 you had said that there were 1,543 daytona V8 wagonaires made including canada. So then in the same post a guy from Canada posted the numbers of Canadian cars built which was 394 with 259's and 74 with 289,s . So if my math is correct (and may not be ) by subtracting the number of Canadian cars from the total number of V8 cars, I came up with 1,075 that would have been south bend cars. Did I do that right ?

Comment

Working...
                X