Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker graveyard...is there anything left there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker graveyard...is there anything left there?

When we drive around the former Studebaker test track during the meet, is there any chance of seeing any dead Studebakers? Or has the area been logged off and the relics sent to the scrap yard?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Brent If your going to be at Southbend with a car and going to the test track I'am looking for anyone that has two empty seats for myself and my brother. If you would have a spot let me know.

Comment

Steve, I have three empty seats in my Hawk and you and your brother are welcome to join me.
      sigpic

Comment

Great will see you in southbend. We plan to get there May 2nd and will be staying at the host hotel. Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
          When we drive around the former Studebaker test track during the meet, is there any chance of seeing any dead Studebakers? Or has the area been logged off and the relics sent to the scrap yard?
          With the amount of cars that we have to get through in the time allotted by the owner of the track, we will not be including the graveyard as an option this year. Sorry. There really isn't that much left anymore.

Comment

What Bob Henning said, Brent; it would be impractical to try to stop all the cars on the track (or even slow them down) to see the graveyard in the high-speed oval infield. It's too far from the cleared portion of the infield grounds; i.e., it's back in the woods. Even if you knew exactly where it was (it's in the northwest quadrant of the infield), it would be difficult to see without leaving your car(s) and traipsing through the woods.

The best you could do would be to first "google maps" the high-speed oval and find a photo of the infield when there are few leaves on the trees. From that, you could get an idea of where it is. Then, as you tour the track, you could strain your eyes in that direction (or, better yet, have someone else look while you watch where you are going!) to see if you can catch a glimpse of the carcasses.

As I've said repeatedly, there is little left to look at. When I was granted permission to tour the burial grounds for my Turning Wheels feature article on the site maybe 20 years ago, there was precious little left. Obviously, there will be even less today. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              The best you could do would be to first "google maps" the high-speed oval and find a photo of the infield when there are few leaves on the trees. From that, you could get an idea of where it is.
              Try here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...roving-Grounds

Craig

Comment

Oh well, just knowing they are there makes it a little more special. I'll pay my respects by driving my Studebaker around them.
                sigpic

Comment

Here are photos taken in spring 2009. They are our photos, taken in person.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Originally posted by 4jc8z View Post
                    Here are photos taken in spring 2009. They are our photos, taken in person.

http://s483.photobucket.com/user/1957hk7/library/
                    Thank you for sharing. Appears to be some interesting things left to see.
                    sigpic

Comment

Plus...there's deer ticks!
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                        Plus...there's deer ticks!
                        Low oil pressure may cause Studeerbaker ticks....wow, what a lame joke....sorry everybody.
                        sigpic

Comment

Low oil pressure may cause Studeerbaker ticks....wow, what a lame joke....sorry everybody.
                          Brent, as a purveyor of lame jokes myself, I celebrate you!
                          But, yeah...that was bad.
                          Mike Davis
                          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
                          X