PDA

View Full Version : South Bend International steering wheel swap

62champ
04-22-2017, 11:22 AM
I am looking to swap an NOS when installed and still perfect steering wheel for another of equal condition at the International meet.

Previous owner got rid of the all black steering wheel on my W4 '60 Lark for a red and black wheel. I would like to go back to an all black wheel. Believe these wheels were used from '57 - '60 (and beyond on floor shifted Champ trucks). The thought of painting over this original wheel really is not something I want to do - it is only original once. Someone with a black/red interior could use this wheel - believe it will work for any car (or Hawk) from '57 through '60.

This is the wheel you will get - I can bring the tools...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/60%20W4/DSC02522.jpg

There is a small place on the front where it is not perfect, which probably is why it was put in a box for surplus parts by Studebaker

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/60%20W4/IMG_20160803_125200584_HDR_zpsgvmmmx0w.jpg

SN-60
04-22-2017, 11:27 AM
VERY sharp interior! :!:

tomlewis
04-22-2017, 12:47 PM
A small nit to pick with the description, and this applies to a lot of posts and ads here and on-line and in Hemmings, etc. The definition of NOS is that the part is new and never installed on a vehicle. This steering wheel might be better described as "NOS when installed", (and that could have been yesterday or it could have been 30 years ago). This steering wheel is a used part.

Tom

62champ
04-22-2017, 01:29 PM
A small nit to pick with the description, and this applies to a lot of posts and ads here and on-line and in Hemmings, etc. The definition of NOS is that the part is new and never installed on a vehicle. This steering wheel might be better described as "NOS when installed", (and that could have been yesterday or it could have been 30 years ago). This steering wheel is a used part.

Tom

Corrected and thanks - do not want to deceive anyone.

mbstude
04-22-2017, 10:21 PM
All of those steering wheels were painted at the factory. It wouldn't take much to scuff it down and paint it all black.