Erratic power to coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Erratic power to coil

I have a 63 Lark 4dr Regal with 259 and 3spd OD. I just recently got it running and roadworthy after sitting since 1987. Up until this gremlin, it has been running great. The other day, the horn began blaring all by itself. This is the first time it has worked but not from the steering wheel. My wife disconnected the battery to shut it off. When I came home, I disconnected the horn, started car and ran a couple of errands. Once in a while, it would miss but then resume running great. But the more I drove it, this occasional miss got so bad that I almost did not make it home. I started car today, and now barely runs. Holding 1500 rpm, it will run great for a few seconds, then the ignition shuts down for a few revolutions, runs great, and so on until, it quits altogether. Let it sit a few minutes it will restart run a few seconds to a minute and then shut down. Checking power from coil to distributer you can see there is intermittent power to coil. Plug horn back in, no change in performance...still running erratically, but now horn does not work as it has not worked when I first got car running. Changed coil, still runs erratic. Changed points, same thing. Recent condenser, rotor, cap, plug wires. Floats fine, carb rebuilt, plenty of fuel. Ran out of time to put jumper wire from battery pos to coil pos to power coil directly. Does the Lark have a ballast resistor hidden somewhere or does it have a resistor wire like our 65 Mustang. Where do I go from here? Thank you in advance...Jim

You have a pink resistance wire at the coil/dist. Its possible that's your problem...If I recall, replacements are long gone, but a ballast resister can be spliced in to work. Others may chime in for details..

Comment

Did you disconnect the wire from the relay to the horn, or the power wire to the relay? Make sure you disconnect the power wire to the relay. Sounds like there is a short in the wire from the relay to the steering wheel.
      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

sounds like 2 different problems have cropped up at once....
        Are you sure Mr. Jingles didn't get under the hood this winter?

Little bugger got under my dishwasher and ate the hoses.....

Comment

Sounds like the pink resistance wire is giving up the ghost,replace it with a ceramic resistor.jumpint from batt + to coil+ is a good test to isolate the problem. Luck, Doofus

Comment

Check the wires at the ignition switch, wiggle them to see if they are loose. The pink wire is paired with a wire from the regulator they may be a paired assembly or two wires under the same screw, if loose will cause erratic action at the coil. Look for evidence of any rust or discoloration at the terminal.

Comment

If the resistor wire is your problem you can still buy a resistor wire. You might not find a parts person that is smart enough to find it but they are out there. You need about 9 volts at the coil, either with a ballast or a resistor wire.

Comment

Working...
              X