Nascar Lark engine pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nascar Lark engine pics

Does anybody have pictures of the engine compartments on the larks that were run at Nascar tracks? I'm just finishing my cold air intake set up , but am curious to see what the early racers used. Thanks in advance Lumpy

Nobody? Im assuming they would have used the vent grills next to the headlights?

Comment

Lumpy
      When the Larks were raced not a lot was done to the air intake.
      Jack
      Jack White
      Charlotte,NC
      North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Lumpy
        When the Larks were raced not a lot was done to the air intake.
        Jack
        Jack White
        Charlotte,NC
        North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

I had a lot of pictures of the Larks that were raced in the Petit LeMans, in Lime Rock, etc. These were submitted to the TW Editor and I do not have a copy. From my memory, I do not remember any special fresh air ducting, etc.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you are referring to the Larks that Holman & Moody prepared for racing, there is only one engine photograph that I'm aware of; it was published in the May 1960 issue of Motor Life magazine. It shows a giant-sized air cleaner parked on top of the AFB four barrel carburetor. Apparently, that's what was used for racing since the H & M technical notes do not mention any other air intake system.

As I mentioned in my Turning Wheels article about these cars (July 2016 TW), H & M used a Carter AFB carb, #2819S. It was also used on 1959 Pontiacs.

George

George
            george krem

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll post pics of mine shortly , think you'll get a kick out of it even though its got a 327 under it.

Comment

I did a search for Studebaker NASCAR racing engine pics. Amazing what pops up. Lots of pics. Some Studebaker related, many not. The only one I found that might give a clue is pasted below. Perhaps you can zoom in on this pic & get an idea. But I can't make out anything that looks exotic or any kind of dramatic innovation. At least there is enough room for someone to reach in and fiddle (technical term) with the engine.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                X