PDA

View Full Version : Nascar Lark engine pics

lumpy
04-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Does anybody have pictures of the engine compartments on the larks that were run at Nascar tracks? I'm just finishing my cold air intake set up , but am curious to see what the early racers used. Thanks in advance Lumpy:)

lumpy
04-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Nobody? Im assuming they would have used the vent grills next to the headlights?:confused:

Bamajak
04-23-2017, 07:24 AM
Lumpy
When the Larks were raced not a lot was done to the air intake.
Jack

Bamajak
04-23-2017, 07:42 AM
Lumpy
When the Larks were raced not a lot was done to the air intake.
Jack

studegary
04-23-2017, 09:16 AM
I had a lot of pictures of the Larks that were raced in the Petit LeMans, in Lime Rock, etc. These were submitted to the TW Editor and I do not have a copy. From my memory, I do not remember any special fresh air ducting, etc.

R3 challenger
04-23-2017, 04:44 PM
If you are referring to the Larks that Holman & Moody prepared for racing, there is only one engine photograph that I'm aware of; it was published in the May 1960 issue of Motor Life magazine. It shows a giant-sized air cleaner parked on top of the AFB four barrel carburetor. Apparently, that's what was used for racing since the H & M technical notes do not mention any other air intake system.

As I mentioned in my Turning Wheels article about these cars (July 2016 TW), H & M used a Carter AFB carb, #2819S. It was also used on 1959 Pontiacs.

George

George

lumpy
04-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Thanks guys. I'll post pics of mine shortly , think you'll get a kick out of it even though its got a 327 under it.

jclary
04-23-2017, 06:37 PM
I did a search for Studebaker NASCAR racing engine pics. Amazing what pops up. Lots of pics. Some Studebaker related, many not. The only one I found that might give a clue is pasted below. Perhaps you can zoom in on this pic & get an idea. But I can't make out anything that looks exotic or any kind of dramatic innovation. At least there is enough room for someone to reach in and fiddle (technical term) with the engine.:)
http://www.studebakerracing.com/hsmith2L.jpg