PDA

View Full Version : eBay/vendor???

GrumpyOne
04-20-2017, 01:53 AM
Is "Mr.Fifty" a known Studebaker vendor? The Point Of Sale is Joliet, IL.

If it is someone that is known, I would prefer buying a set of mirrors for the Power Hawk from him vs. the generic eBay sellers even though they are selling the same product from apparently the same source.

TIA

stude dude
04-20-2017, 05:52 AM
Might be Bob Kaptyn.

rkapteyn
04-20-2017, 06:47 AM
Might be Bob Kaptyn.

Mr.Fifty is a Chevy parts vender that sells a lot of generic stuff and is a good guy.
He lives in an other part of our great city.
Robert Kapteyn

TX Rebel
04-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Is "Mr.Fifty" a known Studebaker vendor? The Point Of Sale is Joliet, IL.

If it is someone that is known, I would prefer buying a set of mirrors for the Power Hawk from him vs. the generic eBay sellers even though they are selling the same product from apparently the same source.

TIA

How about a pr of SI repros?

GrumpyOne
04-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Mr.Fifty is a Chevy parts vender that sells a lot of generic stuff and is a good guy.
He lives in an other part of our great city.
Robert Kapteyn

Thanks for the info Bob… I suspected that it might be you because of location and the fact that he's "away" which I might thouth of your recent major surgery. Since that is not the case and I need the mirrors I'll have to resort to one of the other vendors to get 'er done.

Again thanks and be well!

And thanks to all of the other responders...

GrumpyOne
04-20-2017, 08:02 PM
How about a pr of SI repros?

Pffft!

The SI stuff did not get good reviews here and several people remarked that the mirrors offered by by "Mr Fifty" and others on eBay were at least a good and possibly better than the "official" reproductions. Add to that the cost is 1/4th of the SI stuff and considering that the Power Hawk while being a "nice" car is not perfect but rather at this point a driver.

Now, if you have a decent pair of originals, I would entertain that option but come Monday, I will drop the hammer and buy a set of the generic examples.

04-20-2017, 08:34 PM
Pffft!

The SI stuff did not get good reviews here and several people remarked that the mirrors offered by by "Mr Fifty" and others on eBay were at least a good and possibly better than the "official" reproductions. Add to that the cost is 1/4th of the SI stuff and considering that the Power Hawk while being a "nice" car is not perfect but rather at this point a driver.

Now, if you have a decent pair of originals, I would entertain that option but come Monday, I will drop the hammer and buy a set of the generic examples.
Over a number of years I have bought the SI Stratovue (Avanti style if I'm using the wrong name) mirrors and have found them to be much better than the originals. I have installed them on every Avanti I have owned and I have them on my Daytona Wagonaire.

GrumpyOne
04-20-2017, 10:21 PM
Over a number of years I have bought the SI Stratovue (Avanti style if I'm using the wrong name) mirrors and have found them to be much better than the originals. I have installed them on every Avanti I have owned and I have them on my Daytona Wagonaire.

I'll agree with respect for the Stratovue but the consensus on the mid fifties mirror reflected poorly on the SI reproductions and for the reasons cited, I'm going with the cheaper eBay offerings unless Barry, (or someone), comes up with some good used driver quality originals.

I have four originals but none are worthy of even driver consideration..