PDA

View Full Version : Bill Pressler FINALLY gets his new Cruiser...

BobPalma
04-18-2017, 07:30 PM
:) :D :!!: Bill Pressler's new Timberline Turquoise 1966 Cruiser was finally delivered Monday afternoon, April 17, 2017. Here's Bill, ceremoniously receiving the keys from yours truly before surrendering them so we could get it off the trailer!

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF79931_zpslhiy2lcc.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/DSCF79931_zpslhiy2lcc.jpg.html)

Eagle eyes will note the wire wheel covers having been installed while the car was on the trailer. There is a method to our madness, here. They were in the trunk for the 320-odd mile journey from Brownsburg IN to Kent OH, but we put them on right away when it arrived...the idea being that they would be in place for the full effect when Bill's wife Sheila got home from teaching school and saw it for the first time. I explained this deviousness to Bill thus, "Bill, I've been in the used car business one way or another for 55-odd years...and I'm tellin' ya, first impressions are crucial."

Sheila was pleasantly impressed with the car, we suspect her having been subjected to no other topic of conversation for about two months. Her first three words were, "That's really cute." In that she saw it with travelling associate Howe Clark, Bill, and I standing in front of it, Howe assumed she was talking about us! Vanity, Howe; all is vanity...

Yours truly had never met Sheila. I'm happy to report that she is such a pleasant person that when Howe and I left after all having supper together at Cracker Barrel (thanks, Bill!), Howe postulated, "How do you suppose she wound up with Bill?" :QQ: (JUST KIDDING, Bill; Howe said nothing of the sort....but, indeed, we may have wondered....:lol:)

My having successfully backed it off the trailer, Bill took the wheel and drove it a half-block up the street and into his garage. (His street was too busy for us to be unloading a car, so we went to a large cul-de-sac a few doors down for unloading.) Once safely in their garage, Bill and Sheila posed with their happy new acquisition:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF79951_zpsfhkgutc1.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/DSCF79951_zpsfhkgutc1.jpg.html)

Bill himself was most pleased with the car and asked that thanks be tendered to SDC Forum Member John Thompson of Edinburgh IN. Bill said John described the car accurately and honestly, and that Bill much appreciated the care and attention John had given it during his period of ownership; about 4 years.

Having bid Bill and Sheila farewell at Cracker Barrel Monday evening, Howe and I stayed overnight up the road in Mentor OH, east of Cleveland. Tuesday morning bright and early, we went to John Wolf Instrument Repair & Restoration in adjacent Willoughby OH to drop off all the instruments from Howe's 1957 Golden Hawk 400, to be restored. John's place was amazing; such a thorough operation and gorgeous work.

From there, we went west to take in The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in downtown Cleveland (very cool), then back home to central Indiana with the empty car trailer in tow. Happily home by 7:00 PM.

Overall, the whole trip could not have been more pleasant or successful. Gorgeous weather, no traffic issues, and several missions all successfully accomplished. Thanks for the company, Howe, and best wishes with your new 1966 Cruiser, Bill and Sheila. It is my opinion that it might be the nicest original-paint, unrestored 1966 Studebaker Cruiser on the planet. "Never say never" as to ever seeing a nicer one...but at this juncture, I'd say that a serious contender for the position is yet to surface. :) :cool: BP

t1003nl
04-18-2017, 09:10 PM
Bill, your car looks awesome! I bet you will get some great cruising in this season. Enjoy!

StudeRich
04-18-2017, 09:19 PM
Good Show, did you slap a Palma Studebaker Packard Lube Sticker on the Door for him after the Oil Change? ;)

It is probably without doubt the most beautiful Color they had that year! :!:

Bob, do we know ALL of the past History as to prior and Original owners of this Sweet Cruiser?

The reason I ask is, when I has in South Bend in 1966 one of the Salesmen (Parts Counterman) at the Plant 8 World Wide Parts Depot gave me his address to come by and pick up some updates to the '59-'64 Shop Manual he sold me from his personal "Stash".

He took us to his garage to show us the Beautiful Timberline Turquoise '66 Cruiser he kept in the Garage in beautiful shape.
He was proud of the '66 Commander Chrome Taillight housings he had added.
I believe at some Serial Number they started putting those on Cruisers to replace the Body Color ones.

So could it be? :ohmy: Maybe if I dig though some old receipts and papers from the 1960's I could come up with his name, he had to be one the last SEVEN was it? Studebaker Employees at Studebaker and Plant 8.

BobPalma
04-18-2017, 09:21 PM
Good Show, did you slap a Palma Studebaker Packard Lube Sticker on the Door for him after the Oil Change? ;)

:eek: 'Ran out of them just last year, Rich! ;) :cool: BP

Mark L
04-18-2017, 09:25 PM
(edited) Nice car. There's a '66 2-door that just became available south of Seattle if anyone is interested:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/6093970665.html

Mark57
04-18-2017, 09:42 PM
Nice car. There's another '66 Cruiser that just became available south of Seattle if anyone is interested:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/6093970665.html

Actually, it's a Daytona... an "inferior" model to the Cruiser with only 2 doors. ;) :rolleyes: :D

BTW, Congrats Bill - That's a fine looking '66!! :!!:

StudeRich
04-18-2017, 09:48 PM
It is a '66 Daytona Sports Sedan with a quite unusual Bucket Seat Delete!
Seems to be in very excellent condition. :!:

Too bad it is Black on Black, that does nothing for me or the Car. :(

bison
04-18-2017, 11:03 PM
Great write up Bob , sounds like you guys had a lot of fun

Bill Pressler
04-19-2017, 04:22 AM
Thanks Bob! I called Sheila yesterday and said, "I have to call Bob".

She said, "Why?".

I said, "I moved the car and there's nothing on the garage floor!". LOL

The way the doors close is still wowing me, too!

Thanks for all your help in this purchase, Bob, and thanks to John for selling me the car!

Bill Pressler
04-19-2017, 05:17 AM
Rich, the car was sold through Osborne Motor Sales in Grand Junction, Colorado, to Vernon and Fay Hutchinson of Grand Junction. It was built Nov. 12, 1965, but was delivered to the Hutchinsons on April 16, 1966, nearly a month after the last Studebaker was built. I'll assume that the Hutchinsons were Studebaker owners and probably wanted one last new one while they could get one. I am curious if it was the last new Studebaker the dealer sold.

I googled the Hutchinsons and the 1940 census was the first thing that came up. Vernon was 35 and Fay 34 in 1940, with a five-year-old son named Delbert.

Incidentally, I have never seen a '60's Studebaker production order with the wire wheelcovers noted on it, as is the case with this car.

joncon
04-19-2017, 06:32 AM
:!:

Bob, do we know ALL of the past History as to prior and Original owners of this Sweet Cruiser?

The reason I ask is, when I has in South Bend in 1966 one of the Salesmen (Parts Counterman) at the pick up some updates to the '59-'64 Shop Manual he sold me from his personal "Stash".

He took us to his garage to show us the Beautiful Timberline Turquoise '66 Cruiser he kept in the Garage in beautiful shape.
I believe at some Serial Number they started putting those on Cruisers to replace the Body Color ones.

So could it be? :ohmy: Maybe if I dig though some old receipts and papers from the 1960's I could come up with his name, he had to be one the last SEVEN was it? Studebaker Employees at Studebaker and Plant 8.[/QUOTE]

Not the car you saw as I added the chrome tail light housings not long after I purchased the car. The painted ones that were on the car when I got it were starting to flake off the paint.

BobPalma
04-19-2017, 07:21 AM
:!: Bob, do we know ALL of the past History as to prior and Original owners of this Sweet Cruiser?

The reason I ask is, when I has in South Bend in 1966 one of the Salesmen (Parts Counterman) at the Plant 8 World Wide Parts Depot gave me his address to come by and pick up some updates to the '59-'64 Shop Manual he sold me from his personal "Stash".

So could it be? :ohmy: Maybe if I dig though some old receipts and papers from the 1960's I could come up with his name, he had to be one the last SEVEN was it? Studebaker Employees at Studebaker and Plant 8.

:) Hi, Rich. :!: As you see in John Thompson's Post #12, above, and Bill Pressler's Post #10, this wouldn't be the car owned by that counterman at that time.

John Thompson (Post#12) is the forum member from whom Bill bought this car. John added the chrome bezels during his period of ownership; i.e., within the last 4 years. ;) :cool: BP

BobPalma
04-19-2017, 07:27 AM

She said, "Why?".

The way the doors close is still wowing me, too!

Thanks for all your help in this purchase, Bob, and thanks to John for selling me the car!

:!: You bet, Bill; you know it was a lot of fun, getting you back into a Studebaker...and a darn nice original one to boot in your favorite color.

To keep the doors closing that impressively, get a tube of the wax-like Door Ease lubricant to lube the top surface of the striker plate every so often, and a spray can of White Lithium Grease to spray the door latch mechanism through the tube supplied. (That's the white stuff around the door latch's rotary "gear" you see inside the door from where I sprayed it a couple weeks ago.)

:!!: Enjoy! ;) :cool: BP

jclary
04-19-2017, 07:30 AM
Rich, the car was sold through Osborne Motor Sales in Grand Junction, Colorado, to Vernon and Fay Hutchinson of Grand Junction. It was built Nov. 12, 1965:!:, but was delivered to the Hutchinsons on April 16, 1966, nearly a month after the last Studebaker was built. I'll assume that the Hutchinsons were Studebaker owners and probably wanted one last new one while they could get one. I am curious if it was the last new Studebaker the dealer sold.

I googled the Hutchinsons and the 1940 census was the first thing that came up. Vernon was 35 and Fay 34 in 1940, with a five-year-old son named Delbert.

Incidentally, I have never seen a '60's Studebaker production order with the wire wheelcovers noted on it, as is the case with this car.

Hey, just realized this car was built on my 21st birthday!!!:) It was about that time, I was completing my Air Force Technical School training at Chanute Air Force Base in Rantoul Illinois. So soon after the departure of U.S. Studebaker production, for those of us without an ownership history, (or connection) Studebaker was disappearing over the horizon of our thoughts.:(

Back then, little did I know, that after surviving Vietnam, attending college, getting married and becoming a father, I would stumble across a little Studebaker pickup truck, and begin a lifelong journey in a Studebaker world.;):!:

Congratulations Bill, for your most recent acquisition.:) And for you, Bob Palma...for your excellent writing, and proving that you not only promote the preservation of our Studebaker legacy...but back it up with your actions!:!:

junior
04-19-2017, 07:49 AM
That is a beautiful color indeed! 66's have always been my favorite 'Lark' sized Studebakers. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy driving it! Cheers, Junior. ps, as with Mr. Clary this car was built on my birthday too, and my birthday cake on that day would have had a whopping 5 candles on it.

Bill Pressler
04-19-2017, 07:59 AM
Thanks everybody!

Ironically, the last new Studebaker sold by my friend and hometown dealer, Carl E. Filer Co., was a Timberline Turquoise '66 Cruiser, white ('Champagne' I think they called it) vinyl interior, also built before 1/1/66 so had the painted vents in back, but wasn't sold until April '66, to a fellow from Masury, OH, about 15-18 miles southwest of town, and he traded in a '60 Lark on it.

Blue 15G
04-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Bill, I'm glad to see you with a Studebaker again. It has been far too long! Great story behind the finding of it, and Bob's write up about the delivery. Now I'm looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully in Greenville in July.:D

Dave Bonn

studegary
04-19-2017, 09:52 AM
Thanks everybody!

Ironically, the last new Studebaker sold by my friend and hometown dealer, Carl E. Filer Co., was a Timberline Turquoise '66 Cruiser, white ('Champagne' I think they called it) vinyl interior, also built before 1/1/66 so had the painted vents in back, but wasn't sold until April '66, to a fellow from Masury, OH, about 15-18 miles southwest of town, and he traded in a '60 Lark on it.

Bill - Congratulations on your "new" car!
A neighbor of mine purchased a new 1966 Cruiser in the same color from Knight's Garage in Wappingers Falls, NY. I wonder what percentage of 1966 Cruisers were that color. That neighbor replaced his 1957 Silver Hawk that he bought new from the same dealer with that Cruiser. He kept the Cruiser quite awhile - it was his last car. His Cruiser had one major difference - it was a "big" six.

Son O Lark
04-19-2017, 10:50 AM

She said, "Why?".

Ah hah! You got THE car! I had heard a tale that there is a Studebaker that doesn't leak oil. LOL No, seriously, looks like a great, fun car to own.

abkco
04-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Bob, very nice that you would connect buyer and seller. Sounds like it was a "win-win" for everyone involved. Great car.

lakeview7
04-19-2017, 08:32 PM
So glad you got another Studebaker. Beautiful! The Summer looks better already.

Bill Pressler
04-20-2017, 07:52 AM
Public thanks to Bob Palma, here! He surely made my purchase easier for me--that is a big understatement! :)

8E45E
04-20-2017, 07:55 AM
I wonder what percentage of 1966 Cruisers were that color.

I would say VERY high. Next runners-up would be Yellowknife Gold, followed by Arctic White.

Craig

Bill Pressler
04-20-2017, 08:05 AM
I would say VERY high. Next runners-up would be Yellowknife Gold, followed by Arctic White.

Craig

I can actually remember two '66's in my hometown when I was a kid. Both were gold. I think one was a Commander, and one was a Cruiser.

BobPalma
04-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Public thanks to Bob Palma, here! He surely made my purchase easier for me--that is a big understatement! :)

:!: You're welcome, Bill. You know it was a genuine pleasure...and with your final daughter well on her way through college with scholarships, you were running out of excuses for not having a car...you could only ride that horse so long, ya' know! <GGG> :whome: ;) :eek: ;)

(Besides, if the guy here in Brownsburg ever turns loose of the bucket-seat, column-shift, three-speed 1970 Monte Carlo he ordered new and still has in nice condition, I'll be able to keep it for myself instead of entertaining your alternate Chevy appetite!) ;) :o

:cheers: :cool: BP

studegary
04-20-2017, 12:33 PM
:!:(Besides, if the guy here in Brownsburg ever turns loose of the bucket-seat, column-shift, three-speed 1970 Monte Carlo he ordered new and still has in nice condition, I'll be able to keep it for myself instead of entertaining your alternate Chevy appetite!) ;) :o

:cheers: :cool: BP

My 1970 Monte Carlo was one of the Chevrolets that I owned that I liked the best, even more than my Corvette, much more than my Chevette or Chevelle and about even with my 1973 Laguna and 1988 Nova Twin Cam.

Guido
04-20-2017, 05:38 PM
My 1970 Monte Carlo was one of the Chevrolets that I owned that I liked the best, even more than my Corvette, much more than my Chevette or Chevelle and about even with my 1973 Laguna and 1988 Nova Twin Cam.

I agree on the '70 Monte Carlo, had a friend with one in high school that I drove quite a bit. His was a 350 auto with bucket seats and a console shifter and tach.

8E45E
04-20-2017, 07:25 PM
I also agree the first generation 1970-72 Monte Carlos are the best looking out of all of them.

Craig