PDA

View Full Version : 63 radio schematic

Kdancy
01-09-2008, 07:08 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/studehdtp53/img020.jpg

StudeRich
01-10-2008, 02:09 AM
It's a bit tough without a question, but it seems kind of self explanatory, take the obvious first.

(1) The 12V power (Brown)is going to have to go through a low amp fuse about 4 or 5, to the Accessory side of the Ignition Switch.

(2) The green is the speaker signal to the fader (already done)

(3) The Black Gnd. is dash (Chassis) Ground or split 3 ways and go to each speaker AND Ground near Radio.

(4) One of the Whites (output from fader) then has to be front and the other rear speaker. Some radio circuits have the second speaker Term grounded to frame, others ground to Radio chassis. I believe JDP told you to just ground them, on a Stude. Transistor Radio.

If you get rear, when turning fader left, reverse the two white wires.

Now that would be what I would do, but I am not an electronics expert or Radio expert, so I would not feel comfortable having you do that without seeing your complete setup. In other words get another opinion to verify this first BEFORE powering up!

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Mike
01-10-2008, 07:00 AM
The fader and rear speaker were an option added to the radio installation. What's missing on your drawing is the front speaker connector with the power lead.
If you had only the front speaker, it had a connector that plugged directly into the radio; and the power lead from the radio fuse plugged into the position you labled "12V", on the speaker connector.
To add the fader and rear speaker, you unplugged the front speaker from the radio; and connected the fader to the radio as you show. Then, the front speaker connector, with the power lead was to be plugged into the female fader connector, ("???" on your drawing).
The "GD" position on the connector is only the grounded side of the front speaker. It isn't used to ground the radio. That's done through the mounting screws.
The single white wire, from the fader goes to one side of the rear speaker. The other side of the rear speaker is grounded. Make sure speakers are in phase.
Mike M.

Kdancy
01-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Sorry guys, I didn't explain myself-- was trying to post the picture and forgot to add the question, but you guessed it well enough!
One dumb question -- how do I make sure the speakers are in "phase"?

This was an off the old shelf radio and connection that I am trying to use in a 63 cruiser. The old speaker was shot and I ordered a new front dual speaker (dash) from SI. The car will not have a rear speaker for now but I would like to retain the ability to use the fadar for later installation. The new dash twin speakers each have a gold and silver wire-- I'm assuming the silvers are ground

Mike
01-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Speakers are in phase if the cones move in and out together, in sync. If one moves in, while the other moves out, you get distortion. Depending on where the ear is between the two speakers, this can be pretty bad! In theory, there should be a location where the sounds from two out of phase speakers would cancel, and the ear would hear nothing! In practice, people just wonder why "it sounds so crappy".
Check the speakers with a 1/2V battery. Note which way the cone moves. "Name" the terminals "+" & "-", (or "Bruce" & "Melvin"), on each speaker; that make the cone move a particular way. Ground all "-", ( or "Melvin"s): and you are in sync.
In the past, SI has sold 4 ohm speakers as replacements for the Stude 10 ohm units. These would distort, and make the output transistor overheat. Beware.
Mike M.